What to look for in buying used KDX200

Teal

Oct 19, 2003
Whats up guys, Iam getting ready to buy a 98 or 99 probaly KDX 200 very soon. Iam new to dirt bikes, so what should I look for when buying one. I dont wont to get a bad bike, and is a 98 considered old? Thanx Alot
Teal

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
there are a lot of things to look for. Remembering to check them all is the hard part. A huge thing to check is the condition of the oil. Also check what they're running in the radiators (water is BAD). I bought a cr125 once that ran water for years. It ate a hole in the water pump housing and got into the oil. The bike fried after i had it two trips. The thought of it still pains me.

look for any obvious cracks and leaks in everything and NEVER buy without testriding first

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
'98 may seem old to some people, but to those of us who are young and/or financially challenged it is not old.

My bike is a '91 kdx 250 and its in great shape. Its all about how the previous owner rode and maintained it.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Even though thats 5 years old it doesn't make much difference until 1995 when they came w/ parimeter frames. Mine's a '96 and its basicaly the same as my dads '02 besides 20cc's and a different carb.

Check for:
dents, cracks, scratches, and bends in pipe, engine, radiator, and plastic.
leaks
graphics(scratches, bubbles, etc.)
aftermarket parts
missing parts

Ask about the bikes history and if he has a title. ALWAYS ride the bike before you buy it. Whats your price range? Expect to pay $2000 to $2500 if its in good condition.

Teal

Oct 19, 2003
True, I have 2000 to spend on a KDX. Someone was telling me check and see if the forks are lubed, where is that located on the bike?Thanx for all the advice, I will use it very soon.
Teal

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
My left radiator is bent inwards a little over a half inch, been like that since I bought it.
Does not seem to affect the cooling any, as it has never overheated.

I'd check the swingarm for any play, check the steering head bearing for grinding (like I have any experience with that??) :laugh:
I made the guy that sold me my bike pay for a new steering head bearing.

When you buy used you can expect to put some money into it, but its surely cheaper than buying new and having to put money into to it for all your mods...

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Wibby is right about the swingarm and linkage as well. How to check it. Put the bike on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. Grasp the rear wheel and move it up and down. Any movement indicates either bearings going or have gone bad or a loose nut in the linkage area. If it is loose have someone lift the wheel while you go look at the linkage area. If the linkage rods are moving around on the nut your probably ok. If it is the other way you should ask for maybe 250 off the price since all the bearings may need replacing.
To check for rusted and broken swing arm bearings you can lower the shock compression all the way and then press on the seat of the bike to make the swingarm move. If it is grinding or not smooth you have a problem. Many people ride bikes and never do any maintenance on these areas.
This area, the engine stuff already mentioned by others, fork seals(when compressing is there oil coming out onto the chrome area), and a clean air filter. Some people never oil or clean the air filter. Hell, some people I have seen don't even run an air filter. Is the air boot ripped?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you don't know much about dirtbike maintenance, and are afraid of getting burned by overlooking a major flaw, consider paying a qualified mechanic to look it over.

Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes for a qualified person to give it an honest appraisal, and a write up of estimated repairs/parts to make the bike right. Also gives you some powerful negotiating leverage with the seller.

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Teal

Just to add to the list.......

Ask if the plastic is original - original plastics give you an honest idea of time on the bike. If the answer is no, then all the green plastics you will be looking at is NOT anything to judge the bike on. New plastics hide alot of time. New plastic is the number one "Quick fix for sale" I much rather see original plastics with normal scrapes and dirt.

Look under the frame - any cracks or flat spots?

Put the bike up on a stand and spin the wheels - do they spin straight, or do they wobble back & forth, is there any flat spots on the rims? Also, while the bike is on the stand, put your hand on top of the tires and pull back and push forward, any play? if yes, then the bike needs wheels bearings

check the exhaust pipe, right where it comes out of the motor - Most pipes will have some dents but be careful that it's not totally beat up.

Where was the bike stored - inside or out. If the seller brings you out to the barn or shed, look out! Expect rusted parts and stuck spoke nipples. If he brings you to his well lit garage and can give you, what seems to be an honest history of the bike, go with your gut feelings.

And yes, ride the bike but like I always say, do this very last! One quick ride can get us all excited and we begin to get very blurry eyed to broken parts.

One last note, there is a lot of KDX's out there and they have not changed all that much. Don't get hung up on the year, Heck, I wish I still had my 1990 KDX, my 2002 is not way, way better.

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom