calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
My wife and I are looking for a toy hauler type of travel trailer that can be used to carry our bikes and for my wife to carry furniture, etc. to festivals and flea markets. We both haven't a clue as to what to look for and what is a good manufacturer. We were looking at a Campmaster, but we're finding out there are many types out there. Anybody that has any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
This is a tough one, I've been looking this last week at them and so far the two that has stuck out are the Weekend Warriors and the Jaycos,they seem to have the best Std.features,Best floor plans and the most options.

There are so many out there you are going to go nucking futs trying to pick out just the right one.

Jayco has a killer fifth Wheel that has a seperate garage :aj:

Last edited:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Since we bought ours we are amazed by how the market has boomed with different models. I guess just go out and look at as many as you can- nice at races in order to see how they really work out.
Once you get one tho I am willing to bet you won't believe you waited so long to do it

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
My only warning is to be sure to look at the weight of the trailer. The ones I have seen are really heavy, and then figure out how much water (8lbs/gallon) and bike weight you'll add. It may not be a job for a half ton truck.

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I figured I would have to sell my F150 and get an F250 diesel to pull it. I like the campmaster with the separate cargo area, but I don't like that the toilet and shower aren't seperate.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Take a look at the Tailgator 5th wheel. A friend has one and it appears to be a nice trailer. I believe the 5th wheel has a walk thru bathroom with separate shower & toilet. I don't if the TT Tailgator has a similar floorplan.

Brian

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I got some info here from the ford dealer

F150, 4wd, 4.6L, Auto trans, flairside is rated at 6100lbs + 25% = 7625 lbs
(The 25% is what the manufacture under rates for a safety margin)

7625 lbs is what my truck can safely pull and stop
(This is assuming that airbags, anti sway hitch and elec. braking system witch most TTs come with, are installed.)

Now subtract the max amount of passengers, ORVs, food, water (@8.3 per gal) ect and that's the trailer Wt. I should say with.

So I should be looking at anything under 5400lb UVW

also you can add 300lbs if you have 2wd and 600 lbs if you go 5th wheel

FWIW

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
JPIVEY,
Where did you get the 25% margin info? Also, I don't believe that any trailer comes with airbags (I assume you're talking about airbags for the truck) or a weight distributing hitch. If you're lucky your salesman will know what he is talking about and steer you in the proper direction regarding your trucks capabilities. Just don't count on it.

Brian

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
JPIVEY,
If you're lucky your salesman will know what he is talking about and steer you in the proper direction regarding your trucks capabilities. Just don't count on it.

Brian
Never believe what an RV salesman tells you about your trucks capabilites.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey brian, the 25% remark come from the sales manager at the local ford dealer and the sales person at an RV dealer. It's a margin the manufactures calc. for safety ( according to both sales guys )

And yes I'm talking air bag, elec brakes and weight distributing hitch on the truck, most trailers have the brake system but you have to install some kind of activator to your truck.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
I have been looking at the Tahoe brand trailers and like what I see.
I also looked at the Weekend Warrior trailers, but I wasnt as impressed with them as the price of them would have you believe. They only had 15" tires and seemed low to the ground. Too low for my F-250 Superduty. I am looking at 5th wheel type trailers, and with some of them you would have to flip the axcles on the carriers to give the trailers a lift so they are high enough for my truck to pull them.
The WW trailers still have the funky hollow wood type fold down couch/ beds instead of the all steel folding kind. They also leave the underside of the tounge unfinished, the Tahoe is all Diamond plate in this area. Infact the whole front of the trailer is diamond plate, makes for a nice rock guard. And also according to the Tahoe guy, they use the same type of one piece heavy duty flooring.
I dont know, I am not trying to slam the WW trailers, I just think they are over priced for what you get.

bundy

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey VD, cool avatar

Actually I asked the ford dealer first about the weight and he offered up the 25% thing, the RV guy said nothing about it until I mentioned it and he then agreed that it's figured on the lite side for safety.

I'm NOT pushing this in anyway, you can ask the question and see if you're told the same thing

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hi bundy,

Today I looked at Tahoe, Wanderer, Fun Runner and Wildwood and yep I'm beginning to agree with you.

Damn there's too muny of them

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by JPIVEY
Hey VD, cool avatar
Thanks
Have you looked at these http://www.kz-rv.com/sportster/sportster_25.php It's a fifth wheel, and the gross weight is only 8000lbs. Looks to be a decent floor plan with separate tub and shower. Dry weight is 5222lbs. At the beginning of the summer I was thinking my F150 might be able to drag this around without too much trouble. Then well...I changed my mind. Still looks good. K-Z has other smaller conventional trailers, but I was trying to get away from the pop out tent bed.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I wouldn't count on a 25% margin regardless of what a salesman at the Ford dealer or RV dealer says. If you bring your truck in for a warranty claim and the dealer thinks it's because you're exceeding the weights listed on the data plate you're hosed unless you can show that you're under the GVWR & GCWR.

I've got a Patio Hauler 351F - it's a 36ft 5th wheel and it's long. Tahoe/Thor makes a 30ft 5th wheel that would be just about the perfect length if you're looking for an open 'box' trailer instead of a separate garage. Big Bird has one of these and seems to be pretty happy with it.

I was not impressed with WW regarding what get for your dollar. Do a search on my user name here and on www.turbodieselregister.com and you'll find lot's of info on toybox trailers.

Brian

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I think you'd be a fool to use this 25% overrated deal. This is my opinion. 25% below this rating is more my style.

I am not saying your truck can't handle the weight or stop it. If you ever kill anyone with your truck while towing that load, you will be at fault and could face some kind of manslaughter charge. Your insurance company will laugh at you because you were breaking the law in any type of accident.

Towing rating is one thing, how about the gvwr of your truck. When you figure at least 10% of the trailer weight (more on 5th wheels) is resting in the bed of your truck you will probably exceed this rating too.

That 4.6 barely got the truck off the lot. I would consider a different truck.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
My old 4.6 would stuggle with the 16' toybox loaded up for the weekend and bikes in the truck. It's not just the weight - many toyboxes are high profile and very much like a parachute to tow.

Now my Dodge diesel is a different matter - it laughs at the puny load I hitch to it and will tow anywhere at whatever speed I want, I only change down on hills because I have to slow for turns or other vehicles.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by calamari racer
Has anyone ever seen a Campmaster or know anything about them?

I have seen these at the tracks,but not at any dealers yet, the only ones
they have so far are the utility boxes.

But they are very good looking when your truck and trailer are the same color.

I'm giving up on the toy box idea, everything I find that I like is to heavy for my truck.,bummer, besides you all came up with some good negitive points

So, I'm back to either camping it or buying a friends class A Motorhome which is really nice, almost showroom condition, but limits your mobility once your at the race site.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i just saw at the local bookstore a big shootout of the toybox trailers in a magazine called camping life, if anyone is interested

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
JPivey look at the link that VD posted for KZ we hav one (the 22 footer). it is very light and easy to tow full weight less then 7500 pounds. this last weekend we were at Wardy's with it and thekid, lou and I had plenty of room. Not a top of the line, not bottom line either but affordable and towable.
Also talk to Zoomer he just got a hauler which he pulled down to Wardy's with his truck. He got the 27 foot Starcraft and can give you a better evaluation on towing since he has a gas engine.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I got a Tailgator 26 ft tongue pull model. It is tall and at 6000LBs empty plus water, generator and toys it is a pretty good load. I pull it wit an F250 crewcab diesel and get 10 mpg max pulling it at 70 mph. It is the open floor plan with a seperate bathroom. We added a bunk that folds up from the walls and goes across the entire width of the back so when the toys are unloaded we have a queen size bed. The mattress is carried in the top bunk and we just flip it down. I also added the diamond plate to the front for rock protection and added castors to the back to prevent the tail from draggin. The 6500 watt generator charges the batteries in a few hours and run the heat, a/c and electric water heater fine. It also has a microwave we gets used quite often. I have pulled this trailer approx.12300 miles with no problems, very little tire wear, etc. The interior has stayed fresh looking but I use carpet to cover the tile and change the carpet frequently I also use a tarp to cover the floor when hauling the toys to make cleanup easier. Especially after a mud race.

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
I did a lot of research on toy haulers, take a look ar the K-Z line. About 5 months ago I ended up getting a K-Z inc. Spostster Sportsman model 35 5th wheel. I bought a truck to handle the weight well, just be sure you whatever toy hauler you buy you get a truck that can handle the load. Getting the right truck made our investment a great enjoyable investment. One thing I am glad we did is get 110 gallon water supply, it is great for washing bikes and having enough water to last for a 3 day racing weekend. We also have found ourselves taking our toyhauler everywhere we go, it is nice for a vacation even when we are not racing. You can see some of our picture of the unit at http://www.picturetrail.com/maxdmax
Good luck whatever you decide to get.

Top Bottom