HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Trust me you don't want to beleive the 25% b/s. The DOT is going to go by the gvw rating and anything over that is illegal. A trailer / truck combo that is overloaded or near maximum is a stressful pain in the butt to drive. You will need at least a 250 series truck and would be better with a 350 dually to pull any of the toyhaulers that are loaded. I tried the 1/2T suburban pulling a 28' Playmor Sport toybox and that was an accident looking for a place to happen. I sold the 'Burb after one trip and replaced it with a 3500 crewcab dually. This worked good. Then I wanted to upgrade to a 5th wheel since I had the truck to pull it. We got a 37' Playmor sport single slide toybox. Back to square one: Too much trailer , not enough truck! Last Dec I got a Freightliner FL60 4door hauler with a 8.3 Cummins/ 6spd Allison etc. Finally I've got a truck and trailer that are a good match and is easy to drive. Don't get a trailer that is over 80% of what the tow vehicle is rated for. You shorten the trucks life and yours too from the increased stress on both of you! Besides, get in an accident with an overloaded rig and your insurance co can tell you you're on your own since you are overweight.

Getting down off my soapbox now! Just don't believe most RV and truck salesman. Their personal agenda is to sell you what they have in stock!

toolman

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I'd like to go take a look at the Hi-Lo Funchaser since it has a lower traveling profile and hydraulic lift platform. The GVWR is 7500lbs which should be o.k. for my F-150 to pull. Anybody here have one or know anything about them?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Sounds like you would be 1400 lbs over your maximum legal limit. Also I bet you're over the GVWR of your pickup with that much tongue weight.

I hope you like jail. Pick up that soap eh?

Time for a real truck. A half ton is for commuting, I have one too and I wouldn't even consider a 7500 lb trailer.

Just how do you plan to justify to the mother of the kids that you just killed that "The max weight limit is just a recommendation"? While you're busy pointing fingers your insurance company will have their foot in your arse and the cops can attach handcuffs. Your truck and trailer will be burning. You should be ashamed for even considering it.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That's kind of harsh there Highbeam. My 1998 F150 supercab 4x4 lists a max towing limit of 7200 lbs with an equalizer hitch. I know that the limit can go to 8000 lbs with a standard cab and 2 wheel drive.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Isn't GVWR the amount of weight the trailer can hold, Not what your pulling;ie: the trailer weights in at 4800 lbs empty, add water @ 8.3 lbs per gal,add a couple of bikes @ 230 ea. and your pulling 6100 lbs.

Now your parked, your have a 4800 lb trailer + 830 lbs water = 5630 lbs, now you can put 1570 lbs of your fat buddies and food and everything should be cool; Right ???

Or I'm I wrong

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
In reading the earlier posts the F-150 in question had a max towing weight of 6100lbs. That is the weight I was using. It sounded reasonable considering the 4.6 liter and the auto tranny. I did assume this was the rating in question. If in fact these trailers are within the tow ratings then it is a nonissue and I apologize.

I meant to direct my last post to the thread and not necessarily calamari. I was probably a little harsh but this thread keeps ignoring the overweight problem, the problem causes the driver to not be able to drive under control with a large load. I think it is fair to compare this to a drunk driver driving the same load. I hate to see drunks driving anything but a load like this can do some damage.

The GVWR of the trailer is the maximum scale weight of the trailer itself including the load and the trailer. This is the max weight allowed to be put on the ground by the trailer. I believe it includes the tongue weight so to weigh this correctly the truck would have to be disconnected.

The GVWR of the truck does not include the trailer axle weight but it does include any weight put on the truck by the trailer tongue. Plus all other loads on the truck including people and fuel.

The GCWR is the combination of these two weights. So the GCWR is what drives the towing weight. The GVWR of the truck is often reached before the GCWR can be maxed out, this is a typical trick the automakers use to make you think you can tow more with their truck.

If you're parked in your driveway you can put a million pounds in it. Your call.

Another thing that some of the sleezier trailer manufacturers will do is put a 10,000 lb GVWR sticker on the trailer and then put 4 tires on it with 2000lb ratings each. Or put brakes on it that can only stop 8000 lbs. You just have to be careful not to get hosed with that one.

I prefer HGilliam's 80% theory for towing but if you folks can stay within your legal ratings then I guess I'd give you a thumbs up.

I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh. I am just trying to keep safety and legality at the top of the list.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I appreciate your input, harsh or not, I kinda like my truck and want to keep it for awhile so, All this info is good.

Not to say I can increase my trucks pulling ability but, If I was to add AIR LIFT air bags,Elec. brake controller, weight distributing hitch, I could fudge that 80% HGillman was talking about ?????

BTW, brakes,tires,trans,trans cooler, oil and oil cooler are all in good shape

Last edited:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
The max combine total of both truck and trailer = 11,500lbs including all fluids, passengers, gear, bikes, food, etc.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Yep, I agree with jpivey. 11,500 lbs is total for everything. My half ton chevy weighs just about 5700 lbs empty and if yours is the same then your true max trailer weight is only 5800 lbs. You were hosed by the ford man. Was the GCWR for your truck printed on the door jamb label? owner's manual? I have found this GCWR rating to be elusive because the manufacturer doesn't want you to realize that you're getting hosed.

Another funny thing is that the 7000 lb tow rating would put at least 700 lbs (10%) on your truck. My chev has a GVWR of 6200 lbs, add the 5700 lb to the 700 lb and I would be overweight just by hooking up to that trailer.

You can add all sorts of goodies to your truck to haul the weight more comfortably. I would agree that by doing some major improvements like bigger brakes and axles that you should be able to change the GCWR rating of your truck. Maybe you can. I know you can get licensed to carry a higher weight in your truck at the DMV. They would let me license my half ton truck to a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I don't know if that would override the manufacturers ratings or not if there was a wreck.

Has anyone out there had there truck uprated in such a way that the original manufacturers recommendation is superceded?

You could fudge the 80% clear to 100% but you must realize that it won't be as pleasant for you or your truck. Over 100% and you're on your own. I know your truck could do it for normal driving. It's the one time when you have to do an emergency stop or maneuver that brakes will melt and suspension will break.

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Sounds like I need to avoid the headache and get something that can handle the load. I had to make a emergency stop with just a regular motorcycle trailer behind an Explorer and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I felt like the trailer had its own motor pushing me. :eek:

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have a hi-lo towlite trailer, but not a garage model. sounds as if you have ruled out this option anyway, but if you want t report on it, let me know.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
One of the problems with all these calculations (GCWR for example on my truck is 13,500, max trailer = 7300) is you have to know the weight of your truck. Meaning you subtract the weight of the truck from the GCWR to get the actual max trailer weight. This is of course with everything loaded, people, bikes, gear, etc. Sooo... if I'm thinking right, all you can do is weigh the truck with your typical load (peoples, gear, etc) at a weigh station or something, then subtract that number from the GCWR. ? I've confused myself.

The next thing is the GWR of the truck, printed inside the driver's door (mine is 8800) That's the weight of the truck, all contents AND the tounge weight of the trailer. Correct?

Wish I knew where to find the typical weight of my truck for estimating purposes :(

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Somewhere there is a max payload listed for your truck. Subtract that from the GVWR and you have the approx weight of your truck.

On my truck, if I towed the max trailer weight of 7200 pounds, I would only be able to fill the tank with gas and my lard ass if I wanted to stay under the GCVWR.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
Go to your local sand and gravel yard, truck stop or grain elevator and you can get a weight. You may have to pay, you may not.

We have discussed this exceed GVW/don't exceed GVW thing ad nauseum on Ford-Diesel.com, and continue to do so. My advice is, don't do it! It's not worth the hassle and headache. I have a lot of experience with overloaded (poorly designed in the first place) fire and emergency vehicles. My experience is, they break early and they break often. Tires, brakes, drive train components at a sickening rate and you spend a lot of time in the laundry mat cleaning your underwear, a lot of time on your back in the dirt with a flashlight in your teeth and greasy dust in your eyes, and a lot of headaches trying to figure how you are going to get out of this particular pickle. Lucky it did not kill me, and almost killed a partner of mine (twice in one trip, he was mad too). Granted recreational vehicle use the breakdowns will not be as often but they might end up being worse in nature. I say again, don't do it!

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I checked out the link for the campmaster... ah...umm...well, interesting. Actually at first glance it looks really sharp, then
1. Not much sleeping room
2. Very little water capacity(grey, black, or fresh)
I have one of those over-priced Weekend Warrior's everyone is talking about. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal(RV Show price), I'm sure I would have kept looking. I am glad it worked out as it did though. And...yes, they are HEAVY. Another little thought. If you get one with the garage wall you'll be limited to how much you can haul behind the axle line(you were thinking of hauling furniture sometimes to/from the flea markets?) Just get what works for you and the family. Good hunting!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure my 97 F250 crew cab Powerstroke is only 5,500 lbs...I know that a friend's extended cab Dodge 1500 with 4WD was only 4600. Ok9e, I bet that 5225 is close, Okie.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
This is GMs recommendation on my truck

Trailering
1500HD = 10,000lbs

Capacities
GVWR
1500HD = 8,600lbs

Payload
1500HD = 2,847lbs

Curb Weight
1500HD = 5,763lbs

It does get confusing!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
For curb weight my 98 chevy K1500 with a fiberglass canopy, half tank of gas and me, weighed in at 5640 lbs. We have transfer stations that run waste to the landfill and they weigh you in and out and make you pay for the difference. I dump yard waste for free but get weighed anyway. My GVWR is only 6200 lbs! I would estimate a ford diesel superduty 4x4 will weigh in at no less than 6500 lbs empty. Surely one of the towing fanatics at a ford-diesel type site has weighed his truck. There was a high GVWR option when my truck was new that would have added a different rear end and spring pack (3/4 ton springs) that would have raised my GVWR to 6800, effectively doubling the payload capacity. Trailer weight is limited to 6500 lbs on my truck. Oddly, the 3/4 ton with the same gearing can only tow 6000 lbs.

Top Bottom