scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
I'm getting more and more comfortable in the air. I am using my body weight and throttle/ brake to control the front and rear. I would like to learn to do whips, can-cans, nac- nacs, but what type of tricks should I start with? There is a 65 foot tabletop and a practice track that gives you alot of hang time. Thanks

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Best trick one can master is not falling off.

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
come on guys answer his question and dont be jerks about it. ive noticed that when someone asks a question about tricks you get on them about how they should be fast first. maybe they dont want to be fast, maybe they want to be free stylers and not racers. what is it with you guys?

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Ok the first thing you need to do before you start busting phat tricks is get a wallet with a chain going to it. You don't want lose it while busting BIG no footers. Then get some cool tats, a few piercings, some baggy pants and a bad attitude. Thats it now your just like ever one else who can't turn. :p

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
hey man, this riding club i belong to...kid has to have daddy start his brand new unscratched 426 ( hes probably about 17), and these guys put around the h/s track, cry when they get a scratch, and stop after a lap to talk...some people dont want to be fast

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i could care less about being able to beat everyone at the track, i ride for fun, to challenge myself. if i can take a lap half a second faster than so be it, if i can do inverted whips that's cool too. point is, even RC busts style and tricks out on occaision, why? because it's fun and everyone likes a good whip or can-can every now and then. God forbid he want to do something besides shave time off his laps. chances are, most of us are not gonna be as good as RC, so why not loosen up and have some fun? just enjoy yourself, cause it doesn't last forever.

as for actually answering the post, thomas's idea is the best, learn basics and the rest will follow. good luck.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My first trick was a superman but I didn't mean to do it.

Seriously I'm not a big freestyle fan, truth be known it scares me to even watch but if that's what you like go for it. I do what I do because I like it so I'll afford you the same right. Good luck and I hope you don't whaad up.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
You know, I really thought that other people would get this.. If you want to do crap like that, you have got to learn bike control. The best way to learn bike control is on the ground, pushing the bike's limits in the corners etc.

Do you want to bust some move 15 feet up in the air without knowing how the bike will react, or how to bring it in safely?

Bike control and FAST go hand in hand. Bike control and aerial maneuvers go hand in hand. Fast = Bike Control, Bike Control = .. well, it's your a$$. I'm not going to draw a diagram.

scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
damn, you guys are rough. Fortunately I'm not a jackass that wants to just learn to jump and do tricks. I enjoy jumping and sometimes it's fun to play ride rather than focusing on becoming faster. I get the point though, this board is only about racing techiniques. Thanks anyway :|

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Some of the older folk out here (I won't mention any names, but his initials are CAM :o ) will get on you about tricks, but I think crkid had by far the best response.

If you combine everyone's reponses, you get... Try whips (both ways) and fender kisses. That way you get comfortable with the necessary skills of moving the bike around in the air *and* get to look cool while doing it.

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
thats why i have no respect for some racers.. ."freestyle sucks... its the devil.. why do you wanna do circus tricks on a good mx bike"... grrr... shutup ppl have different opinions ok... start with some one footers then one handers, then fender kisses, then no footers'no handers...
hope all goes well man

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey, no offence intended. I think focusing on the basics will help your bike control which will in turn make freestyle attempts easier. It's fun to whip the bike, but not if you lack the experience to straighten it out for landing.

I'm not one of those "freestyle sucks" guys, I wish I could do that stuff.. Just trying to offer some safe advice that might keep you out of the hospital bed.

For a straight answer to the original question, no footers, no handers, lookbacks and whips should be the easiest and safest to start with.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I personally think that a whip is the coolest trick, because its more than just jumping doing some stuff in the air and landing, you move the bike, not just your body.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Just go out and try something. I could tell you to go pull a sick whip like RC but the only way you'll ever do it is to go and try. start easy get used to taking your hands and feet off the bike then go from there. The coolest trick I like to do is a whip and being able to throw your bike sideways inthe air(looks so cool). But just go ride and have fun.

Matt

Bird82

Mar 24, 2002
I'm just the opposite, I can go fast on the ground; but, in the air about all i can do is a 1 hander or no footer. How many of you people dogging this guy out can actually bust out on some cool tricks? I cant even get comfortable with hitting the back brake in the air, i'm more at ease doing a 1 hander than hitting the reaR brake, i guess im from the old school, It doesnt seem natural to lean a bike over on a jump to me, i would love to do a whip, any advice from someone that went from not being able to whip to being able? besides just do it, is there a safe way to learn? Thanks

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I still cant do a whip like RC or anything but im still trying. The first thing I started doing was just tilting the bike realy quickly then back straight, not actually turning, just going straight. But Ive found a jump that is perfect for learning whips, its basically a big mound and you can land on any side of it, I just keep hitting the jump over and over tilting the bike a bit more as I build up the nerve. One other thing is getting the rear end up, the jump needs to have a lip on it, if the rear doesnt come up, the bike isnt going to turn. Thats the scary part for me, something about the rear end coming up in the air just isnt right.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How many of you people dogging this guy out can actually bust out on some cool tricks?
I think that's the point... they can't, don't want to, don't want to spend the time "learning" to "bust out the cool tricks" and pretty much believe a lot of the newer riders have their priorities screwed-up. It's two different sports. There will always be conversations like this one, no big deal.

A whip is very cool... when it's over the finish line.

Bird82

Mar 24, 2002
it isnt a big deal i was just wondering why folks attacked the dude for asking about tricks, It's like hes the enemy, he was just talking about riding, if your not in a freestyle contest or a motocross race, then i guess it's not " two different sports " it's riding on the dirt. Oh well. sorry i stuck my nose in yalls business.

Top Bottom