maxkiks77

Sep 23, 2002
i have a kx80 and i want to jump nicely. however my dad says that when i have a short take off the front compresses than uncompresses while the rear compresses. he said it will be very hard to land this way. so what type of jumps are better?, short steep ones? or a longer face? so the bike can be uncomressed in the front and back. i dont really know a whole lot about jumping. but i know it is heck of fun. thanx

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
He's right, short jumps (especially short, steep ones) will kick the back end up.

Some things to look for in a jump to learn on:
  • longer takeoff ramps with smooth transitions from level ground to the ramp
  • smooth approaches and jump faces (no bumps or holes)
  • no ruts
  • uniform jump face (face is the same all the way from left to right)
  • landing that is forgiving if jumped short or long
  • plenty of lead up room so you can easily get necessary speed
  • plenty of room after to recover if you don't land perfectly
  • firm (or even hard) dirt
Tabletops are better than doubles...and step-ups are even better, yet.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
He's right, short jumps (especially short, steep ones) will kick the back end up.

Some things to look for in a jump to learn on:
  • longer takeoff ramps with smooth transitions from level ground to the ramp
  • smooth approaches and jump faces (no bumps or holes)
  • no ruts
  • uniform jump face (face is the same all the way from left to right)
  • landing that is forgiving if jumped short or long
  • plenty of lead up room so you can easily get necessary speed
  • plenty of room after to recover if you don't land perfectly
  • firm (or even hard) dirt
Tabletops are better than doubles...and step-ups are even better, yet.

you forgot the "Gomer Cam" so when you do mess up, someone can post it here for 24K people to laugh at you... ;)

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
A step-up is when you jump from a low spot to a high spot. Like if put a jump at the bottom of a small plateu. I would hit the jump and land on top of the plateu. That way your not falling out of the sky.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I believe a step-up is when there is a jump at the bottom of a big dirt mound, or hill. So instead of riding up a hill, you jump up it.
Listen to Gomers advice on jumps, it's good. I wish I had that advice when I first started jumping. I built a small wooden jump that was short and had a steep incline. It made it incredibly hard to learn to jump from that. I would have to say that a good begginner small jump would be about 5 feet long, and maybe 2 feet high. And be sure to keep a steady throttle when going off, any sudden acceleration or deceleration while on the face of the jump could cause you to crash.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Yeah, from what I hear that is not a good one to learn on?! Ummm, I've not heard of many making this jump? Didn't MX547 and jaybird get hurt on this jump?? I could be wrong....

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
You can increase the front forks compression resistance so that the front end won't so readily "dive" after absorbing the short jump face like its a bump.
Look in your owners manual about how to set the front compression.
Do it at the track. Keep increasing it until you can safely jump. But you may have to decrease the compression some if it becomes too resistant to absorbing bumps on the track. Try to find a happy medium.
Other thing to do is gas it more when jumping the small jumps, and/or leaning back more.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
ohh, I was wrong, but didn't they both get hurt (broken legs) on the same jump at the same race? I think I seen something about it somewhere......I just can't remember where and when...

Top Bottom