whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A new RM125 would be better! I always liked the idea of an elderly 125 class, no punks. But to have one and race it, sounds like some high maintenance. Then add in a vintage model with questionable parts availability. It sure bummed me out on the 370, but that crank should last longer! It takes a certain amount of finesse to make a 125 scream in the meat of the power-band for 20 minutes. I could last to the 3rd corner! It would take a lot more seat time to get comfy racing it. Hence the big bore fleet accumulating. AHRMA racing in Michigan? Vintage Bob

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
I would like a Greeves 380, either twin exhaust port or Q.U.B. model.
Because big British 2-strokes are the ultimate in vintage funky-ness, and I already have two big-bore Stormers.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
AjayMike said:
I would like a Greeves 380, either twin exhaust port or Q.U.B. model.
Because big British 2-strokes are the ultimate in vintage funky-ness, and I already have two big-bore Stormers.
I for one do not know enough about those, care to enlighten? What year for starters. What became of the company, joined someone else? Twin cylinder 380 sounds interesting! Vintage Bob

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Any Euro will do...
60's Husky's
CZ sidepipe, Falta
'74-'78 Husky's
'74-81 Maico 400-490

I rode Jap bikes through '80, and while after '75 I think they were better I like the Euro "soul"....

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I for one do not know enough about those, care to enlighten? What year for starters. What became of the company, joined someone else? Twin cylinder 380 sounds interesting! Vintage Bob

The twin-port 380 was made around 1969-1970 to the best of my memory. It is a single-cylinder motor with a two-into-one exhaust system. Very funky and cool. It was available in either MX or Enduro models. About 1971 Greeves worked with 2-stroke-meister Gordon Blair at Queen's University Belfast to redesign the motor for more power. The result was the QUB 380, which has a conventional single-port exhaust.

Greeves went bust in the mid-70's, along with a lot of the other great old dirt bike companies.

I'm being picky in the above post. Any year or model Greeves would be welcome in my garage.

Frank Conley is the Greeves Guru here in the States, and he has a good website with more info. A new company in the UK is also making motorcycles under the Greeves name.

Mike

'71 AJS Stormer 370
'73 AJS Stormer 410 project
'02 Honda XR400R

Eric Kropp

Mar 14, 2010
Mine would be a 1974 YZ250A and a YZ360A. I actually had one of each....sort of. I had a 250A that I raced and loved for many years until the stuffing in the crank meandered itself into path of the rod. So I found a 360B engine that needed new cases. So I bought a new set of cases and a pipe and rebuilt the whole sha-bang and had me a po-man's 360A-kind-of-B. That.....was REAL fast and light. There is nothing like getting into the "inside" of one of these and see all detail Yamaha went to, to lighten these machines. They are truly a work of art....

Eric

Eric Kropp

Mar 14, 2010
Most people probably don't know it but they (at least the 250) had hollow crank shaft cheeks. Each side was was two round disks with a band pressed over them. Ofcourse on each side one piece had the shaft machined into it one for stator and one for primary gear. Then they further lightened the assembley by boring two holes in each side about and 1" to 1-1/4" then pressed aluminum slugs in through the holes so crank case volumn was not increased, or the vacuum or pressure reduced(I'm not sure which). On my 250 one of those aluminum stuffings loosened and worked it's way into the center and stopped me at the last leg of a desert enduro in California. It went "Clink"....then I was walking. As I walked I remembered the guy who told me he had the 360B motor with bad cases. And the rest they say is........

Eric<><

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
ill stick with the project i have yet top complete, 82' xl185, first gear rattles the hell out of you, but second feals like 3rd and 3rd feals like 4th so, i guess its alright

1upfront

Nov 13, 2008
I'd definately have to choose the 1980 cr250 only I'd run a FLOTEK ported 76mm hondaline 300r top end for some extra punch, or an 83.5mm mugen top end, I'd also upgrade to a mitaka billet clutch basket, hand coned pipe and a 38mm airstryker carb :D

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
1upfront said:
I'd definately have to choose the 1980 cr250 only I'd run a FLOTEK ported 76mm hondaline 300r top end for some extra punch, or an 83.5mm mugen top end, I'd also upgrade to a mitaka billet clutch basket, hand coned pipe and a 38mm airstryker carb :D
Ummm, cart or road racing background?

jesse360rider

Jun 28, 2010
If i had to say so............
77 YZ 250, because i got one for free it was awesome
79 RM 80, because it was the only one i ever owned that i considered a "pit bike" lol

I've gone through a lot of liquid cooled bikes in my day, but these vintage bikes seemed to be the iron dukes, never broke down, and when they did i could usualy fab something to fix it. In fact, the biggest thing that i ever did to the RM 80, Wiseco top end kit. Nothing to the YZ, and they both still run and i wont ever get rid of em.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How is the 77 Yamaha for bottom end parts? My old RM's are no longer able to get all the crank rebuild parts, the rod is kind of important! And the piston and rings went off wiseco.

jesse360rider

Jun 28, 2010
Not sure how hard it is to find parts for the 77, but it does need a bottom end soon. Knocks pretty hard, i dont ride it often. And btw, the RM 80 is a real fast little bike, hard to keep the front end down!!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I already have my number one..a 1979 KTM MC80 420

The other I would like to have someday is a four speed 1970 250cc OSSA Stiletto.

I also have a evo cheater bike..a 1982 Husqvarna XC430 with the later model double leading shoe front brakes and a built suspension....but my kids ran it for the last 8 years and it shows.

And a 1989 RM 250 I would gladly trade for a Stiletto!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'm partial to the '76 era 125 and 250 Husky's. They had somewhat longer suspension travel (~ 8"), but they were still low enough to corner well.

They probably weren't quite as fast as the bikes from Japan, but that doesn't make any difference to me ...

Top Bottom