What Were The Last Major Updates On KX125?

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
What year saw the last (or best) major changes/updates to the KX 125? I would eventually like to plug a KDX200 engine into a KX125, but do not know which year of KX 125 has the best features (i.e. lightest frame, best suspension, best handling, etc.). I know they get better each year, but sometimes the basic frame will stay (relatively) the same for a few years. I just want to be able to know how far back I can go and have a decent starter bike that is relatively modern. I may ride the KX125 for a while stock and then swap engines after a season or two, but think it would be more practical for me to use the 200 engine if I decide to ride woods.

Oh yeah, if there is a thread that addresses this, but that I missed, let me know the link. I would be glad to delete this thread (or have the Mods delete it) if it is superfluous.

-Cheers

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Did a bit of research. It looks like the last major revamps of the KX125 were in 2003 (rebuilt from the ground up) and in 2004 (frame changed for suspension stability, and bike made to look more YZ-like according to some). Is that fairly accurate?

-Cheers

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
halowords said:
Did a bit of research. It looks like the last major revamps of the KX125 were in 2003 (rebuilt from the ground up) and in 2004 (frame changed for suspension stability, and bike made to look more YZ-like according to some). Is that fairly accurate?

-Cheers

That's close - major revamp in '03, with changes to the pipe and rear shock linkage/mounting point in '04. Same basic frame and motor for '03 and up.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
go for the 03, the 04/05 had something going on with the rear suspension, it was bouncy or something, and it cost about 450 from pro circuit for th parts to fix it. The 2003 is essentially the same bike as the '06 with just mild differences, but since your swapping out the motor the engine changes wont matter anyway.

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Canmx120 said:
The 2003 is essentially the same bike as the '06 with just mild differences, but since your swapping out the motor the engine changes wont matter anyway.

Well, I am THINKING I might at some point. But I would still like to try out the 125 2-stroke as-is for a season or more. But mild engine differences do not really bother me all that much regardless; I plan on being slow for at least a while regardless of what I have. ;)

But I think it would be smart for me to learn to ride the 125 so I can be a better rider overall, and since they are reportedly a lot of fun I might fall in love with the bike as-is. If I decide I want an easier engine to work with, I can get a nice KDX engine and stuff it in there after I learn to ride the 125 like a champ.

-Cheers

FloGreen245

Jul 25, 2006
yeah... a kdx 200 swap might be hard if you dont know what youre doin but i dont know if you do. It'll probably change how the bike handles too.

On the kx125 they changed the brake setup in 04 in the front to make it better. Before it ran down under the axle dropout.

Top Bottom