what would lafferty or watts do?

troy myers

Apr 20, 2000
i just sold my 03 450 and picked up a 04 swapped out my emig 18 triples and this bike does not handle as well as the 03? are there any major chassis changes, im not aware of? what do the pros do? stock 20 degree or 18? this seems to want to crawl out of ruts, and wash out the front more easily than the 03. ? help would be greatly apprec.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Is your sag set properly? 110-120mm of rider sag seems to be working the best with the 04s.

Sounds like your forks are too stiff to me otherwise.

troy myers

Apr 20, 2000
sag is right on , forks actually feel softer than my 03. would it help to go back to 20degree clamps? raise or lower forks? the 03 was the best handling bike ,all around that i have ever rode, am just trying to get that feeling on this one as well. thanks

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The '04s have really recalibrated suspensions. The forks are supposed to be more plush since they firmed up the midvalve, allowing softer full, probably explaining your observation. More to your problem, they also changed the triple clamps to better balance the bike, shifting some of the weight off the forks and to the shock.  Shock valving was also improved to accomodate this.  By putting your '03 triple clamps on the '04 you surely undid some of this engineering.

BTW, I also heard that Jeremy spent ~3 weeks in Austria so some of this '04 goodness is probably his doing...

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I thought I recalled all of the full sized '04s are now 20mm offset (2 stroke and 4 stroke). And yes, you are correct that the swingarm was lenghtened, too.

Were you unhappy with the stock '04 after setting sag? Or did you R&R the triple clamps right away? If the latter I'd return to stock and dial it in. I've even heard the newer bikes like even more sag (130-140), though that may have been more of an '03 statement than '04.

troy myers

Apr 20, 2000
i quickly bolted up the 18degrees , without thought or ride time , i assumed that since they worked so well on the 03 that it would be the same on the 04, when i had asked my dlr of the chassis updates he didnt think their were any. oh well i guess i will go back to the 20s and try that. thanks

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
A small correction, it is offset measured in millimeters, the difference of the center of the triple clamp sterring stem hole to the center of the fork hole.
Stock is 20 mm
Jeremy ran 22's on his bike
most folks run 18's
I like the 22's, i ride in rocks and rough stuff and this set up works for me.
FYI,
KR

Top Bottom