WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
Ok I know it's probably a no-brainer but here goes, I have a 98 220 that is mainly stock except for an fmf pipe and air box mod. My dilemma is I was gonna buy a Harley this spring (and keep the 220),my wife says if you forget about the Harley you can buy a brand new dirt bike for me and my son and a new trailer to tow them. So do I dump the Harley idea ? I sure like the look of those new kawi 250 4 strokes. Or keep the 98 and get the Harley(you know what my son wants to do . Don
t get me wrong I love the kdx but want a little more motocross

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
This is a no-brainer. The family that riders together, has fun together. Forget about the H-D.

Hopefuly, in time, your wife will like riding so much that she'll support the purchase of a street bike anyway.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
i sold my street bike about three years due to all the idiots that dont watch out for bikes , had a few close calls that scared the heck out of me . imo i would get a new bike and your son , the best thing that i did was get my boy a pw50 . if my buddies back out on riding my little boy never says i got other plans or my girlfriend making me do this or that (at least not yet) . getting him a bike also helps him mind a little better because if he doesnt , i wont let him go and man does he really get bummed out then . i luv teahing him how to take on hills and ruts , to sum it up it is great quality time with your kids . :)

Last edited:

WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
Thanks for the replies,thats exactly what my wife said. Sounds like a couple of new bikes in the near future......Anyone want to buy a used kdx ?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I have two Sportsters that get very little riding time now a days that the Jesster (my 7 yr old boy) has a mini and I have a KX. You'll become your son's biggest hero if you start riding with him. :thumb:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yeah, I'm with twiztid. I bought my son an XR70 and then my daughter asked why she didn't have a dirtbike so I got her a CRF. It's fun having a family thing.

If you want a streetbike, maybe keep the KDX and then buy yourself a dualsport like a KLX400. I ride a CBR as a daily driver but I like dirtbiking so much that I have thought about trading for a KLX. No one rides with me so I don't worry about passengers or riding thousand+ mile weekends so your needs there may be different.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Realize the time comes when you:

1. Get hounded by your kid on your arse and you can't shake him.

Fairly quickly followed by:

2. Your kid passes you, leaving roost on your nose.

Then:

3. 'Where'd he go?'

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Dump the Harley, it's a pig anyway... sorry Hog ;)

Kevin

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I think if I had a son I would probably give up my Harley Road King so that we could ride together.....Luckily i have no kids so I don't have to make such a painful decision. :P

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Buying my son and daughter dirt bikes is one of the best things I have ever done. I've may have had huge fun with mates on road bikes but if I didn't have a choice, I would ditch my road bike and ride with my son and daughter - without a doubt. You can always get a Hog later, when the kid(s) have grown up or finances allow.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hands down, get the dirt bikes and stay together as a family. When the kids are all grown and gone, then get a road bike. That is, until the grandkids want to ride. Then it's back to buying more dirtbikes. But by that time, you should be able to afford to keep both.

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
yeah,what they all said! forget the hd,riding home in the truck with my son,after a good day on the trails,reminiscing about all the nasty stuff we just rode thru is as good as it gets!

Top Bottom