Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
Hey guys. this is my first post so, to that, howdy :).

I am currently in the market for buying a dirt bike, as i've been riding our Honda 400. I can't remember what exactly it is, I just know its a 1999 Honda 400 that weighs a ton. The reason I am looking for a bike is I want something of my own, so that I can mod it, mess it up, sell it, run it off a cliff... erg, no I wont do the last part but I just want something of my own. I am a relativly smaller guy, or skinny anyway. I looked around and saw the stikey with how you guys prefer these questions be asked so, we'll just go down the line.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) Physical Size: 5'10 - 120lbs (Told ya, I am skinny :P)
2) Physical/Aggressive: I've been playing baseball since I was 8, and im a 17 year old Senior, so I am pretty physical and I am pretty damn aggressive.
3) Terrain: I plan to ride almost souly trail. Maybe a few fields here and there
4) Riding XP: Yes, i've been riding our honda 400 since 1999.
5) Race: No
6) Mechanically Inclined: Yes, to a point.
7) Brand Preference/Motor: Well, I must say that i've always been a KTM fanboy, just because the ones i've riden were much faster than any others, but they vibrate, and are to much bike for me. I want a 4 stroke, which is another reason why I am stiring away from KTM.
8) Dealer: Yes, we have several dealers that serve all the brands
9) Less than $5000 at the max.
10) Like stated above, im lighter, but by no means weak (i've been riding a 300+ pound bike since I was like 11... :P). I enjoy hiting the trails hard, and playing. I will be riding with people with mainly KTM 250 2 strokes, and I know I am not going to be able to hang with them on a 4 stroke, but I would definatly like something where they wont just blow me away. I'd prefer not to be the slow man that everyone has to stop for lol.

Thats about all I can think of. I've been doing my research and so far I am leaning towards the Honda CRF230F. The only bad thing is I have not had the chance to give it a ride, so I am unsure of its power. You could say I want something that'll haul ass, but I also want something that is practical, and at this point the best i've found is a CRF230F.

Thanks,

- Troy

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
A 125 2-stroke sounds good for you. 125's are light, good for someone your weight, could keep up with the 250's you talked about, and are very cheap. You could probably find a used 2005 yz125 (the best 125) for under $4,000. They aren't the best for trails but would be pretty good in open fields. Since you are light and aggressive, I think it is the perfect bike for you.

Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
n_w t_ b_kes said:
A 125 2-stroke sounds good for you. 125's are light, good for someone your weight, could keep up with the 250's you talked about, and are very cheap. You could probably find a used 2005 yz125 (the best 125) for under $4,000. They aren't the best for trails but would be pretty good in open fields. Since you are light and aggressive, I think it is the perfect bike for you.
Thats an expensive bike :P. The MSRP on one is over 5 grand, then you tack on Taxes and junk and thats way out of my budget. I'll go over to the yamaha shop and see if they have any used ones goin for the same price range of the CRF230.

And thanks for the comment/response. Very much appreciated.

Top Bottom