gharmon

Jan 7, 2004
I've only been around racing a couple years and therefore have only read the last couple years shootouts in the mags. I know they don't talk good about cr125's any way and the 2004 didn't get good results in the shootouts. The 05's fared better but still lacked in overall engine power (especially down low). We're looking to buy used so I'm concerned about the 2001-2004 as compared to the 04-05's.

So whats the best between 2001-2004?

Thanks,

Gerald

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
gurt said:
I dont know about the cr but yz 125s have been on top by most magazines since about 1996
Yeah, I would get away from the CRs. The KXs and YZs have been on the top for 125s for most of the years of MX. There is no one best year for CR, but there are some worst. Between 2001-2004, I would have to say the 2003...maybe the 2002. I know that Ernesto Fonseca was killing with his CR125, but I haven't ridden many. I have ridden a few, though, and I thought that the handling was the ONLY thing I liked. The suspension was ok, but the power just sucked. The newest one I rode was a 2002, and it was ok. I have always liked the YZs and KXs as they are the best 125s. I truly do suggest not getting a CR, but your choice. Hondas are known for their reliability, though, so that is a great factor.

gurt

Feb 25, 2006
eh, don't worry about reliability. I've had yamaha's for all my life and they have all been good to me. I have compared my yz 125 to my friends 2001 cr and my other friends 2000 rm and i like my bike the best, and the cr the worst because like crazyrydermx said, the power on the cr really did suck.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had an '01 CR 125 from new and then traded it in summer '01 for a new '02 yz 125! after I rode the YZ at my local track I instantly knew the YZ had a way better motor stock over that '01! But I really like my friends '05-6 CR 125 it makes better power than my '01 definetly a stronger running motor. When my '06 yz 125 was stock his '06 CR 125 definetly could hang and it's not like my friends ported '05 ktm sx 125 is really any faster in top speed. It pull over a wider range on my YZ by alittle bit and the CR but they all pale when comparing it to my YZ 144 now. I bet that KTM 200SX coversion is going to be coming from my friend now gotta try n one up me again :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
if you have to have a cr, here's something to consider. i just read this on another board:

Spoke with Eric Gore today and he suggested a simple but but easy way to add a couple ponies to my bike or if you have 04 Cr 125 Buy a Weisco 2001 Rm 125 Piston kit and have Eric do Mill work on the head for only 30 Dollars to accomadate the Suk piston. It will add much more Low end and Much midrange over all. Just a thought!

towlie

Jun 5, 2005
I am somewhat biased but as previously stated, the CR's strong points are handling, FRAME!!, and ergonomics and the stock motor has always been a little weak. But how long does any bike stay stock? A port job and a good top end pipe (it does sign off a little early) does wonders for this bike.

The 05's fared better but still lacked in overall engine power (especially down low).

Let's face it, 125's don't have a low end power band. ;)

Top Bottom