duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
I was told it was a 96 when I purchased it but it has the purple tank... I thought that went away in 95?

Reason I am wondering is that the 94 and older had cylinders that could not be bored and replated (or at least not much) because of power valve clearance issues... My bike does not need this but I am curious anyway... Boring it bigger might be a way to get more power one day...

Here's a pic... Only seem to have pics from out on the trail so it might not be the best view.

287246_10150348602035491_742425490_10173090_3471428_o.jpg

Thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
To find the model year for certain, you need to check the frame number on the steering head.

If it starts out KDX200H1 it is a '95, H2 it is a '96, H3 it is a '97, etc....

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks guys... That answers my question.. Mainly wanna make sure it's an H series like i thought and not an E but I'll check the frame numbers as well.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
boring it out will not give you more power unless your talking about going to a 240cc. 1mm will not be noticable and that would require a sleeve being installed, these bikes have plate aluminum cylinders wich cannot be bored

Chase your power with pipe selection ,carb and head mods and proper jetting

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
sr5bidder said:
boring it out will not give you more power unless your talking about going to a 240cc. 1mm will not be noticable and that would require a sleeve being installed, these bikes have plate aluminum cylinders wich cannot be bored

Chase your power with pipe selection ,carb and head mods and proper jetting

Yeah they can... Just have to be replated. There are companies that do it... And yes: when my skills merit more power I will being trying to extract it via conventional means: fiber reeds, jets, pipe, etc... This is just idle thinking that may one day turn into something... Kind of like I dream about attempting to build a turbo charged single cylinder two stroke... No real point but it'd be cool.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Bill is absolutely right on the performance increase. Without doing a big bore kit, you will get no noticeable gain in power by simply boring, re-plating, and going to a 20 or 40 over piston. You're talking about .5 or 1mm here. Not going to make a difference that you can feel, except for the weight of your wallet.

Now, if you wanna do a 225/240 kit or something, that's a different story.

Top Bottom