FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
OK - you guys and everyone else I've talk to say I'd like a KDX220. I ride hare scrambles, old guy's class, and an occasional enduro. I need to buy used - in the $2000 range - What years should I be looking for? Have there been any significant changes in the engine or chassis that would dictate? I'm thinking I can judge condition, add ons, etc. but I don't know about the bike's evolution. Thanks.

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
That is a pretty easy one! The newest perimeter frame KDX 200 came out in 1995. In 1996 they went to stifer clutch springs, besides that, just differnt graphics (as far as I know) The 220 came out in 1997 and I dont think they have made any changes to it since. It is basicaly a 200 with a large cylinder and smaller carb. Check out http://justkdx.dirtrider.net and click on the link on the left column labeled "timeline" also check out the classifieds. When you are thru there, check out Cycletrader.com you can limit your search to year, price, location etc. I hope you find a bike!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Don't rule out a 200. If you find one in your price range you won't be disapointed with it either :cool:

I started my quest for a 220, in fact was ready to buy new, but couldn't find a 01 around here at any dealer and they wanted a premium to get one from yet another dealer out of state at the time (about a month ago) and I certainly wasn't gonna wait untill Sept for an 02.

Then I found the 98/200 with all the mods I could ever want, rode it, and bought it.

I can smoke my bud on his 01 220 (stock) and have plenty of low end to boot.

Last edited:

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
I'm coming off a four stroke so I was expecting/hoping the 220 would give me more low end so I wouldn't have to learn to ride all over again. Thanks for your input.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
a 220 might have the a tad more low end. It may have a bunch more. I'm just asking that you not rule out a 200 until you ride one : )

Top Bottom