What Years Did KLXs Use Inverted Forks

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
What Years Did KLX 250 Use Inverted Forks

Well thats my question. What year did KLX 250 use inverted/upside down forks.Thanks in advance ;) .

Last edited:

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
my klx manual has instructions for conventional forks and upside down ones. all the 300's have USD forks, but i bet some of the older 250's came with regular ones, tho possibly not US models, i dunno.
mw

Mongoose

Apr 25, 2001
Are the Upside down forks on the KLX 300 what you would call a "progressive" suspension. (I'm new to the dirt bike scene)

From what I gather as the suspension compresses it gets increasingly stiffer in an effort to prevent the forks from bottoming out. I think I may be confusing USD forks with a progressive suspension. They are not the same thing are they?

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
no, they are not the same thing. a progressive action can be accomplished with a progressively wound spring (a company aptly called "progressive" sells these), or some kind of position-sensitive damping, or with a linkage (in the case of rear suspension). the "progressiveness" of a fork is independent of whether it is upside-down or conventional.

Mongoose

Apr 25, 2001
So why then are USD forks so much better then conventional forks, besides of course the superior ground clearance through ruts and obstacles?

Just a thought: The KLX and WR come with USD forks, the DRZ and the XR have conventional cartridge forks. What are the pros/cons to each?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Mongoose - inverted forks are supposed to be more rigid due to the larger diameter of the upper tubes. This is probably an advantage at supercross or MX. On the trail, a little more fork flex might help the bike from seeming too rigid.

However, the internal design and valving of the forks have a lot to do with fork performance, so you can't say one type is always better at a specific application. Manufacturer's costs and marketing decisions are also going to play a role in what forks end up on the bike.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think the Australian version of the later models (' 94+) have the conventional KDX like fork.

Top Bottom