Whatdoya think ( Pastrana gets hand slaped )

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
From CycleNews

Travis Pastrana just attempted a back flip after winning his qualifying race for tonight's Daytona Supercross at Daytona International Speedway.

Pastrana won the race that puts him into tonight's program, and in doing so he attempted a back flip off the finish line jump. Though, he didn't quite make the landing,Pastrana's move still had the small afternoon crowd going crazy.

The AMA, however, was not too pleased by Pastrana's trick. Afterwards, Pastrana was told by the AMA that if he did it again, that his Pro license would be pulled for good. So don't expect to see another Pastrana backflip in the main show. If he does another, don't expect to see him race again.

How can you not like a goofball like Pastrana :aj:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Is there a rule about freestyle tricks?
Slippery Slope if you ask me.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
How different is it from Deegan's ghost ride? Pastrana lost control of the bike, could it have hit someone? Maybe.

I think he'd have gotten his hand slapped even if he'd pulled it off.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001

No, no rule, I don't think AMA sanctions freestyle and that's all they saw, a freestyle trick,

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Maybe it depends on if he did it as he won the race, IMHO, that would be OK. If he went back around and did it after the official finish, that would be bad as the track would be officially closed and all bikes are to exit the track after finishing.

But I love it either way

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I don't see any diffrence between that and any Whip, Nac-Nac, No Footed Can-Can, or Heel Klicker numerous other riders do on a regular basis. The AMA officials need to get over thierselvs.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I agree about him doing the trick and all, but I think Pastrana needs to get over himself too. If he wants to race the supercross, race the supercross. He did not win the main event, so why did he have to make a spectacle of himself?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Okiewan said:
Slippery Slope if you ask me.

Maybe his throttle stuck for a split sec :ohmy: and he was just trying to eat up momentum. :boss:

ANYWAY....

Crazy4nitro

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
this is really no different than any other trick some of the other guys pull at the finish. the AMA does need to lighten up! look at the whole fuel fiasco RC just went through, granted travis does have a way with hurting himself and should respect the racing more, but does he sell tickets? do the fans want to see him pull a flip if he wins? he he acts in a manner that could hurt someone else by all means he should be repremanded, however if he is just giving the fans the show they paid for and just a little more who will benafit? ama? promoter? sponsors? clamping down with too many rules does nothing great for the sport. make it safe for the fans and other riders and lets have a show!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Throw out one of the most popular and marketable riders?? :coocoo: Hell, the AMA cant even stand behind their decision too dock RC 25pts..

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if travis raced nascar i'd consider watching that, i wouldn't end up watching it , but i'd consider it.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
As much as I hate to mention it, but I've seen RC doing no-footed cancans over the triples and the AMA hasn't been squawking at him. What's good for the goose (GOAT)....

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Come on, folks, a backflip is a LONG way from ANY of these other tricks you mentioned, which is exactly why the AMA responded the way they did.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
mtk said:
Come on, folks, a backflip is a LONG way from ANY of these other tricks you mentioned, which is exactly why the AMA responded the way they did.
Really? Didn't it start with the celebratory whip. Then Jeremy decided to go farther by throwing the nac-nac. Now Ricky busts out the no footed can whenever he wins. While the lazy boy might have been more appropriate for a qualifier win, why can't Travis celebrate with a little signature stunt over the finish line?

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Well FruDaddy, you may have hit on a good point, it started with a whip, then a nacnac and then a No footer whatever, maybe they do need to put on the binders before it does start getting out of control

These guys are getting hurt just racing, besides trix are for kids

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yep, and that is exactly what has spawned FMX. The reality is that the racers choose their lines ont the track, they decide what to double and what to triple. The decide how to run through the whoops. All of these decisions could easily get them hurt. But it's considered part of the game. Travis is oned of the greatest freestyle riders alive, a backflip for him is a lot like a whip for half of the field. Whether or not he pulls the flip, or any other trick, should be decided between Trav and his sponsors, not the AMA who should appreciate his attempt to put on a show for the fans. "trix are for kids", my boy loves them, and I enjoy them too.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
i have to agree with frudaddy, travis has probably thrown hundreds of backflips, if this was a clear channel event, he would probably have been paid a bonus, im all for good clean hard racing, but unfortunately thats not enough to fill the stands, people watch nascar for the wrecks, we all watch wrc rally for the outrageous action(travis has been driving a rally car also), most riders and racers dont want to see anyone get hurt, but who can honestly say they dont like to see a guy pull off a pass in a place that it looks impossible, or a 3 way battle that has everyone on their feet until 2 out of the 3 get tangled up!, if you dont fill the stands you dont have any more races in your area! we should not encourage these guys to take risks, but we should not punish them for playing up to the fans either, think of all the good strong top 5 racers that run clean and hard every week, does anyone talk about them? or give them the credit they deserve?, buy stuff with their name on it? i used to love when we had supercross in charlotte, we dont anymore, but they have 3 anahiem races,you have to fill the seats! unfortunatly pro racing is still a buisness, and guys like travis will keep that buisness running.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'd rather see Travis start the main than pull a back flip in a qualifier. I guess that makes me a fun-hater.

IMO the reason the AMA bans the move is liability. If they endorse this move, they will get dragged into court anytime a racer, spectator or courseworker gets hurt during an attempted backflip.

If they allow Travis to do it, they have to allow everyone to do it. Say hello to increased insurance cost, more injuries and additional track closures.

Basically, the AMA needs to nip this in the bud before it becomes a fad.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
KX02 said:
why did he have to make a spectacle of himself?

'Cuz that's what he does. :nod:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
I'd rather see Travis start the main than pull a back flip in a qualifier. I guess that makes me a fun-hater.

IMO the reason the AMA bans the move is liability. If they endorse this move, they will get dragged into court anytime a racer, spectator or courseworker gets hurt during an attempted backflip.

If they allow Travis to do it, they have to allow everyone to do it. Say hello to increased insurance cost, more injuries and additional track closures.

Basically, the AMA needs to nip this in the bud before it becomes a fad.
I say the AMA, with all of their wisdom, should BAN double, triple , quad, and ANY multiple jumps. They are DANGEROUS and someone could get hurt trying complete this dangerous maneuver! The AMA could get sued and have to shut down because of the judgement.
Hey........? :blah:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom