jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
I weight 210 lbs and I was thinking aabout getting a pit bike for playing around. What is a good bike? I obviously need one that can have the suspension modified for my weight and I don't want to spend 10 grand doing it. For the most part I want to change the bars and riser, put on tires, a taller seat and a pipe eventually. What would you suggest as a good bike to start with?

jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
Thanks, that's almost twice what my '05 YZ250 cost me. Let me see if I can get the "play bike" for $9000.00 past my wife. :yikes:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I think he is looking for something more like
green_demon_2.JPG

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm a fan of the SDG's I've thrashed mine pretty good in the mountains, and it's held up nicely. I don't like how close the rear brake pedal is to the foot peg, but that's me. Most of the Chinese pit bikes (Xtreme, SDG, Thumpstar, Pit Viper, ect.) are good bikes to mess around with. They are already set up for what you seem you want to do. And they will not put a big dent in your wallet.

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Mini.jpg
    Mini.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 461

jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
pyrofreak said:
Or a TTR125L, then you could let the wife on it once in a while.

No way, my wife is not getting on it. If she gets hurt who would make my dinner? I didn't get to be 210 lbs. by being stupid. :laugh:

Thanks for all the replys, those are some nice bikes. My nephew had a TTR125 and I liked that pretty well to play with but I like the little pit bikes better just because I think that they look cooler.
I like the SDG's but I thought I had read some info on them that they had a few problems. I can't remember exactly what it was but I thought it had something to do with the trans or the shifting?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I think you'll find the same basic problem with pretty much all the chinese knock offs. They use cheap bearings throughout. Once you get one replace the steering stem and wheel bearings right away. Then when you start having problems shifting from abuse pop her open and but quality bearings and seals in it. Then your set. Or do it right away to prevent the problems but its more fun to be riding...

Oct 28, 2004
My bud put one of those Lifan 110cc "Quality Built" engines in his 70, it blew up within a month, plus the shift pattern was "liking it own kind...homo-something" it went neutral up 1, 2, 3, 4, neutral, 1, 2, 3..... talk about going WOT in 4th and then pass neutral into 1st doing a good 35+mph, turned that 4 stroke into a 2 stroke screamer. I cant stand the cheap chinese built stuff, their metals are melted at a temp 1/2 of our USA metals are. Like the saying says, you get what you payfor, unless " enter online auction" is involved. you get the point....

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Jim, All the bikes have some issues. My SDG keeps bending the rear brake lever when I crash. It's made of super soft metal. I'm going to make someting better for it, and it tends to shed screws from time to time. Also if you ride in really dusty conditions buy a few extra air fliters. They tend to clog up fast, so it's good to have a few extra. I have delt with SDG looking for info for my bike (valve spec's and some other stuff) and they were great to deal with, and made sure I was taken care of. The turnaround time was a few days, and I ended getting more info then I asked for. But it was info I would have needed any ways so it saved me some time. They have made improvments to the '05 models to fix some of teh '04 issures. But I'm sure just as with any other bike more will pop up. As far as Tranny issues go (I beleive it's a issue with the bike popping out of gear) I have not had that happen yet, so I'm not sure.

Jasle: I like your bearing idea. I'll have to do then when I tare my bike apart.

I talked to the owner of a Thumpstar, and he said that they have a issue with third gear braking when jumping.

I can't commet on other brands because I've never delt with them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Jasle said:
okiewan...do you have a link for the pit viper? I cannot find the importer.

Tight arse graffics BTW.

www.pitvipermx.com :cool: It's a bit of a lame site right now but a new and MUCH cooler one is currently being developed. The bikes are also slightly revised from the one Okie has with larger exhaust & carb plus a few other improvements. There are also other bikes in development, one will be a real mind blower! If you want to contact the importer shoot me a PM ;)

jigracing

Jun 26, 2005
The Pitster Pro 125. I got two. They are very easy to ride 125cc plenty of power and suspension and the rear shock will hold you no prob. I have adjusted mine as soft as it will go and I weigh 185lbs. Go to tboltusa.com talk to Vince he'll hook you up. He stands behind his stuff too. Can't say enough.
This is my kid jumping his.
elsinore7-27010.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is a photo from the tboltusa web site
pitsterpro1.jpg
[/IMG]

Top Bottom