What's a likely plan for updating my WR suspension?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Hi everyone,
I have a 18 year-old suspension with what is probably factory original oil.

Everyone I've been talking to seems to think that fork and suspension design have come light-years in terms of sophistication since the 1991 design of my machine.

So, since I also need a new front rotor, which turns out to be WR500-specific and ungodly expensive, I was looking at buying a whole wheel and maybe updating the brakes to a more common rotor design. That got me to thinking about the $300 worth of fork & rear shock servicing that the bike needs, and I figure: For a few more hundred dollars, couldn't I find a decent fork, wheel, and rear shock (maybe swingarm too?) that is more compliant than the 1992 design?

...only I don't exactly know where to start. I am considering the 1999 - 2008 Yamaha WR250F, WR400F, WR426F, series of motorcycles. My first thought is this: What is interchangable between these models, and what are the differences in terms of suspension ?

I've heard of one WR500 owner who swapped a 1999 WR400F suspension onto his bike with the simple use of a 10mm spacer on the triple-tree. If this is the case, is the WR400F from 1999 similar enough to the remaining models that I could pick up a used set of forks from any 1999 - 2008 WR and use them? This would assume that the head stems from 1999 - 2008 are unchanged. Does anyone here have any insight?

I guess, I ought to also back up a little bit: Exactly WHY would a 1992 model with KYB upside-down fork be considered so much less desireable than a newer-design USD fork? What is the difference in the designs, and would it truly be worth the expense of going to the modern suspension?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First off the WR500 is based on the OLD yz490. So you are going to have to check on the bearings used for the wr250, probably the same as the yz250 for the year.

Every year yamaha updated the forks some how or way. Newer is better. They are 46mm up to 03 on the YZ bikes. 04 is still a single chamber design, but a 48mm. The 05+ is the twin chamber 48mm units. 06+ are the best units out there, but you are going to have to get a COMPLETE front end from any newer bike- triple trees with stem, forks, guards, number plate, complete front brake including master cylinder, and complete wheel. I am sure with that you can make it work somehow on the older bike.

The WRs are all single chamber forks to current. But they do have the provision for the speedo drive. I personally would scrap the WR forks and get a set of the 06+ YZ forks.

For the rear, most likely not a lot is going to swap for you from the new bikes. Best bet is to have the shock rebuilt and revalved for you. Most likely the forks are going to need a different spring rate also. Check with someone like MX tech, they are good a conversion bikes like the CR500AFs. So they would know how to setup your springs and valving for you.

Good luck

Top Bottom