Jaxlax

Aug 21, 2007
1) Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
About 6'1" 270lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you?
Well im a weight lifter/Martial artist/Lacrosse player. when it comes to riding i can be aggresive and like to throw the bike around
3) What do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????Trails/Dunes/Track
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I rode once along time ago.. crashed bad.. and now i currently ride Quads.. i have a 2005 TRX450R with many upgrades.
5) Do you think you will race?
Nah not really. Many race my friends for fun.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Personally no, but i got some friends who are good.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?Really any... i like Kawi,Honda,KTM the best. but a Yamaha or Suzuk would be fine too. i like 4 pokes... but 2 stroke is cheaper.. so im looking for a 2 stroke.. possably a 250 cause of my weight.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes. They got Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki/KTM.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Well i plan to trade my TRX for one.. its prolly worth about 4200.. but looking to trade and get cash. sop im thinking 3k MAX
10) Do you live in California?
Nope
11) Anything else that you think would help from an opinion?
Looking for a bike i can learn on and not grow out of soon.. with my size a 125 would be to low for me.

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
cr250 is what i ride i am 6' 200 lb . You may be able to get a 4 stroke 450 for a decent price . If i were you i would go with the crf450 if you can find one, if not stick with the 250 2 stroke

Jan 3, 2007
I think with your size (no offence) you would be good on a older CR500, KX500, or 450F. The KX and CR are really easy to owrk on and are cheap to fix. They have a good amount of power and are really easy to upgrade. The 450Fs have good power for your use but it might be too much money in the long run deppending on how you take care of your bike and how hard you ride. The best in my mind would be the KX500 or CR500.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
An open class 2 stroke would be good. Aside from the CR and KX 500s, consider also the KTM 300s, 360s, 390s, and offerings from GasGas also in similar flavor!

Jaxlax

Aug 21, 2007
zoommx said:
An open class 2 stroke would be good. Aside from the CR and KX 500s, consider also the KTM 300s, 360s, 390s, and offerings from GasGas also in similar flavor!

Im a newbie to dirtbikes.. i only know quads...

Are the Open class bikes faster then the 250 2strokes?

Agian my size... and by size im refering to weight. not actual size. cause i look about 220, but am 270. I am a beginner so a 500 im guessing would be way tomuch power for me to start out with.. im even afraid of a 250.. i first crashed on a 125 but that was years ago.. and i ddint know how to **** or anything i went form snowmobiles to a dirtbike.

So whats the Power difference from these Open class bikes and the Racing bikes?

Jan 3, 2007
Jaxlax, open class is anything bigger then you standard 250 2 stroke. The power difference from a 250 to a 500 is huge but a KTM 300EXC would be perfect for you. It has lots of bottom end power, and a smooth top end unlike a CR250 or KX250.

MagnaTrey

I'm Motorcycle colorblind
Jun 19, 2007
Hi Jaxlax,

I know you crashed a while a go, and you may be a little spooked by the sound of an "open class" two stoke, but I was reading that you; (a) would prefer a two stroke, (b) you are aggressive, and (c) you are going to be riding in the dunes.

I assume since you listed dunes as a place you would like to ride, and that the fact that you will be trading in a quad, that you will be spending a considerable amount of time in the sand?

In my opinion, if you weight 270, really want a two stroke, and want to ride in the dunes/sand, you REALLY, REALLY want to make sure that you have enough "umpff" to be able to carry the front tire a little. Riding in the sand on a two wheeler is nothing like a riding on a quad.

If you do not have enough power under your butt, in my opinion, you may be disenfranchised by the two wheel dune experience. Sand riding has the tendency to wear you out a little more quickly if you do not have enough power, regardless of how good of shape your in..

Finally, just because you have the power available with an open bike, it doesn't mean you have to use it, plus you know that you will not "outgrow" it in the near future. :cool:

rbt76

Aug 11, 2007
"If you do not have enough power under your butt, in my opinion, you may be disenfranchised by the two wheel dune experience. Sand riding has the tendency to wear you out a little more quickly if you do not have enough power, regardless of how good of shape your in."

Well said! I am 6-2 220lbs and I ride the dunes alot. I have a CRF 450 and it is day and night from my old 250R. The 450F is a LOT of bike but if you plan on riding alot (espically at dunes) it may be worth looking at. Like Magna said, the more power you have under you the easier it is to ride in the sand.

Remember that once you get a new bike have a new spring put in, cut the sag and adjust the suspension BEFORE you ride it. A stock suspension/spring will max out around 200lbs and make it a nightmare to ride for us bigger guys.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike!

Jaxlax

Aug 21, 2007
rbt76 said:
"If you do not have enough power under your butt, in my opinion, you may be disenfranchised by the two wheel dune experience. Sand riding has the tendency to wear you out a little more quickly if you do not have enough power, regardless of how good of shape your in."

Well said! I am 6-2 220lbs and I ride the dunes alot. I have a CRF 450 and it is day and night from my old 250R. The 450F is a LOT of bike but if you plan on riding alot (espically at dunes) it may be worth looking at. Like Magna said, the more power you have under you the easier it is to ride in the sand.

Remember that once you get a new bike have a new spring put in, cut the sag and adjust the suspension BEFORE you ride it. A stock suspension/spring will max out around 200lbs and make it a nightmare to ride for us bigger guys.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike!

thx. well a guy offered me his 2002 CR250R with new everything pretty much and 1700 for my quad.. casah is what im mostly in for so i can buy a truck. so this offer really has my attention.

and iv had offers for 2006 CRF 450.. but they wont add cash of course.

but will a 250r 2stroke be enough for me.. i saw a guy on a 250 the other day when i was at the dunes.. he looked like he was about 180lbs-190lbs.. and he wasnt flying like i thought he would be with all that power..

Jaxlax

Aug 21, 2007
XRpredator said:
buy a big 4 stroke. You'll be happy.

im not buying im trading and if i trade for a 450 it has to be straight across.. and i might as well keep my quad.. im tyring to get money too.. but anyways back to the question about the 250r being enough for sand for me?

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
If it's about sand, you will need a machine which has a lot of torque. The king of the desert is XR650R, I would buy that. But maybe you don't want it, I don't know..

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
2 strokes have bad low-end power but power increases amazingly with rpm. 4 strokes have a linear increase in power, they have good low-end power.

But the thing is that a 250cc 2stroke is 60hp and a CRF450R is like 60hp. So 2 stroke have much more power if both bikes are 250cc. For ex CRF250 is 40hp.

I think you should get your protections and dont care the crash you had before, everyone crashes, even professionals..

I'm a beginner like you, and I'm 140lbs, I am going to get a Kawasaki KX125 to practise on MX track and also in trails. The bike is extremely light, so it's easy to control..

You can get a 250cc 4 stroke or a 125cc 2 stroke. If you wanna learn good brake-clutch-gas techniques as fast as possible, stick with 2 stroke. But if you wanna ride just in trails, you can get a 250cc 4 stroke as well.

Power of 2-st is harder to control but it teaches you a lot and bikes are very light. Power of 4-st is easier to control but the bikes are heavier and it doesnt give so much experiance..

Choosing your bike, depends on your expectations from your bike.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
2 strokes have bad low-end power but power increases amazingly with rpm. 4 strokes have a linear increase in power, they have good low-end power.

I have heard that the 500's have amazing bottom end power...

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
Yeah it can have a good bottom-end power. I meant the increase in the power, 4 strokes have more linear power curve, 2 strokes have a parabolic curve..

Bad thing is that smokers have poor low-end power. The advantage of 4 strokes are having a good low-end power, and the disadvantage of them are their weight. They can have good bottom-end power. I hope I made it clear now..

Jaxlax

Aug 21, 2007
Sahinoz said:
But the thing is that a 250cc 2stroke is 60hp and a CRF450R is like 60hp. So 2 stroke have much more power if both bikes are 250cc. For ex CRF250 is 40hp. QUOTE]

The CRF450R has about 50HP.
The 2002 CR250R is around 45HP.

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
Sorry about that, I think my friend made some modifications on his CR250.

But I was trying to express that they have a big cc difference but very similar power. It's still true..

blakeyboy125

Aug 1, 2007
THE POWER OF THE 500 SMOKERS ARE RIDICULIS!!! WHY DO YU THINK THEY DON,T MAKE THEM ANYMORE!!!! if i were you i would get Ither a 250 smoker or a 450F... :)

Top Bottom