motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
OK, for all of you experts.....

What workout routine would be better?

1. 2- 20 minute workouts about 3 hours apart, to simulate 2 motos.

2. 1- 40 minute workout.

I'm assuming both options would be of the same intensity, and that they would be 3-5 times per week.

I'm kind of leaning toward option 1, since that is what I'm training for. Thanks for all of the help.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
It's not easy to say that one or the other is "better". I think you should vary between both if you have the chance. If you only do a twenty minute workout, be sure to not include warming up and cooling down into that, otherwise it'll just be too short.

Also, it's good to sometimes do more than a moto's duration and sometimes less (at harder intensity).

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Either one will work. Jost a matter of time. I know I really don't have time for 2 work outs in a day.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by bbbom
From the articles I have read, it wouldn't matter which way you do it.

What really matters, is how much intensity you put into the workouts.

Given BBBOM's advice above, option 2 is by far and away superior, for both endurance, and fat burning.

Keep in mind you receive all your gains at rest when you body repairs itself. The stimulation tears down, rest builds up to a higher level of fitness. By not giving your body enough time to repair, you can actually overtrain. The end result of overtraining is fatigue.

Last edited:

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
I forgot to mention that I was referring to a cardio workout, but I think you all picked up on that. I was referring to actual high intensity workout, not including warm-up or cool-down.

This is good stuff. Just another discussion point- Is there any value to "training to a specific purpose" - as in option 1? Maybe alternate - 1 day do option 1 the next do option 2?

Thanks for the help.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I would think that mimicking the activity you are training for as closely as possible would be best. I know when I was training for volleyball, we did certain weightlifting excercises that mimicked the movements we used - squats and leg press for jumping and overhead tricep extensions for hitting. I noticed improvement in my hitting after working on the movements.

For dirtbikes, I prefer mountain biking and the rowing machine. I also lift focusing on my upper body because that is where I lack strength - compared to my lower body.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Strick made a good point. Seems like the split would keep your metabolism elevated for a greater part of the day. Not sure if the intensity is what you need to improve your fitness for moto, but it would be beneficial for your general health.

Maybe this is the best answer-
It doesn't matter. Just go to the gym and try to improve every time.

skmcbride

May 16, 2001
This is a good one. Several studies have been done on this very topic. The results are as most of you thought: No significant difference in the cardio-vascular benefit between the two. Although if warm-up and cool-downs are included the split routine takes longer. There was also a slight edge towards the longer work-out to effect changes in the aerobic metabolism. My guess is that if the studies were longer in duration the once a day would have probably shown superior. Keep in mind these studies were done at low to moderate levels of intensity. My soap box comment: Examine information from magazines and infomercial with a discerning eye as they often misquote and misrepresent published literature by taking it out of the context that it was conducted. I have experinced this first hand. Can you say Fast abs, Ab-isolator or Ab-energizer! Watch 20/20 in the next 2 weeks and you will see what I mean, if they air what they should.

A couple of points though:

In general the minimum aerobic work out length should be 30min. If you plan on doing high intensity i.e. a moto, I would recommend a 10 minute gradual warm-up and cool down with around 15-20 minutes in the high intensity zone.
If you are doing intervals this doesn't include the recovery periods. A good high intensity work out usually takes at least 60 minutes for a well conditioned athlete. That is 1-2 times per week certainly not 2 a day. The key is that you spend a total >15 minutes at the high intensity to reap the most benefit. For example treadmill training: 10 minute warm-up @ 5-6mph with 1% incline. Next increase either the incline or the speed or both to a level that you can accomplish with some effort for at least 90 secs. I prefer at least 2 minutes. This will take some trial and error. After this high intensity reduce to warm-up level or lower for the same period of time. Repeat intervals until you have totaled 10 minutes at the high intensity, that's a pretty good start for a newby. Aim for 15 minutes at the high intensity by adding an interval a week. Once you get to 15 for 2 consecutive weeks, up the intensity. Substitute treadmill for whatever floats your boat, but use the same guidelines.

Mix this in with moderate intensity and low intensity recovery work during the week. My advice for training for a moto is do it on the bike if you can. Get to the track or woods, warm-up and than try to ride 10 laps or 20 minutes at a good clip. You can't get more specific than that. If a track is not available try as suggested: mountain biking, elliptical training, rowing machine(watch the knees) combined with circuit weight training. No rest between sets.

bbbom gives good advice in finding your weak points and stress those areas in your gym work. Ask yourself where you fall apart during a moto, legs, arms, lungs, all of the above and than you can individualize your plan. I can tell you from experience that the first thing to do if you have not done so already is develop a base level of fitness. Do so in a easy progression with basic movements and training. Integrating intervals, speed work, and complex cross training from the get-go will often lead to failure and injury. You will notice and immediate impact on your riding from this initial training and than you can fine tune to your needs. Riding when fit makes the experience, whether racing or play-biking, that much more enjoyable.

Good Luck, Keith

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Excellent reply, SKMC!
Could you clarify you're reccommended cardio training frequency for a person who rides on the weekends?
Thanks in advance,
Ray

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
Thanks for the replies.

OK, here is my plan:

I'm already pretty fit, I don't think I need a whole lot of strength training. My focus is on cardio, as my major weakness is arm pump, and I believe that cardio is the way to help with that.

Tuesday & Thursday 10 min warm-up, followed by 30 min work-out, and 5 min cool-down at moderate to high intensity on my elliptical. I have a model which works both the arms and legs.

Saturday, or Sunday - normal riding, just more structured. I'm shooting for two 4 lap warm-ups, and 3 full blown race pace moto's, followed by some weak spot practice (cornering).

How does this sound? Thanks for the tips!

dix

Nov 24, 2001
You just can't beat the 12oz curl. You'll find that with each rep the wieght appears to lessen some, and you begin feeling better faster that with any other workout.

skmcbride

May 16, 2001
Ray,

Several variables to consider for aerobic frequency such as type of racing motocross/HS/enduro, what you bring to the table, specific weakness etc.... I certainly would not give a MX'er the same routine as an enduro rider as the energy demand is quite different.

Some basics though would be a light day or rest day following race day, this is usually Monday for most. I personally believe in active recovery vs. complete rest at a low intensity. This could be as little as a couple mile walk or slow jog, swimming easy for 40 minutes or very light circuit training. The increased blood flow to fatigued muscle in a non-taxing manner will potentially speed recovery and alleviate delayed onset muscle soreness.

Tuesday: Moderate aerobic exercise of your chosen flavor and a good circuit weight training routine. If you can ride Thursdays I would do high intensity this day.

Wednesday: First choice if available would be ride duplicating race conditions as much as possible. Nothing like saddle time to enhance performance. If riding is not possible it would be a good day for some interval or high intensity cardio. I usually hammer my legs pretty good this day as well with a variety of lounges, squats etc..following the cardio.

Thursday: High intensity or interval work if you rode on Wednesday or mod intensity if you rode. This is also a good day to ride, but whatever the deal this should be the last day for high intensity work if you are racing on the weekend.

Friday: Active recovery with low-mod intensity cardio.

Saturday: If your like my crew, prepping the bike is quite enough!

I didn't mix in the circuit or weight training. but that certainly can get added in. You should be able to circuit train all major body parts in about 45 minutes. This is not resting between sets combining opposite muscle groups or synergistic muscle groups for 2-3 sets. The push-pull philosophy.

I know this sounds simple, it is difficult to prescribe blanket suggestions for exercise without knowing the individual. Duplicating arm pump and leg fatigue is very plausible in the gym. Wrist rolls are a tremendous way to reduce arm pump. I think I have some previous post that may be more specific, I am kind of burnt out right now. If you can ride more than once a week, I would do that first and I hate you for having that luxury.;)

Good Luck, Keith

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom