Whats the best 85

ray.skinner

Aug 3, 2002
im in the uk and finnished 2nd in our nats overall. at the moment i have a yz85 could any one surrgest which is the best 85 about please,as in our country info is limited.and what are riders winning on in your country.thanx

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
Honda 85 or next year they're going to make a 2004 ktm 85 wich is supposed to be the fastest. If ur lookin for one right now tho then go CR 85

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
They are all fast, im my area kaws and suzuki are what the best 80 class riders use.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Ray - congrats on finishing 2nd in the Nationals!! :)

Dell and Mike are right - they are all fast and competitive. My general rule on stock 80's is that the CR and YZ make a little more peak horespower and rev a little higher and the RM and KX (which have powervalves) have better low end power but don't rev as high. But any good rider would fly on all four of the 80's. I also live in Mike's area and see mostly RM's and KX's followed by YZ's at local races.

Just for the heck of it - here is the breakdown of 85cc bikes by brand at the Loretta Lynn Amateur MX Nationals which is taking place this week here in the states just to give you an idea what bikes are filling the gates. Of course this doesn't mean much other than that...

85 stock 12-13:

RM - 16
KX - 16
YZ - 8
CR - 2 (the Alessi boys)

85 stock 7-11:

KX - 15
RM - 12
KTM (misprint? riders probably on KTMs in the 60 class) - 7
YZ - 4
CR - 4

85 mod 14-15:

KX - 15
RM - 14
YZ - 11
CR - 2

85 mod 9-13:

RM - 18
KX - 13
CR - 6
YZ - 5

Totals:

RM - 60 (36%)
KX - 59 (35%)
YZ - 28 (17%)
CR - 14 (8%)
KTM (misprint?) - 7 (4%)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
In our area you see a majority of KX's on the line in the 80 class then CR's. The remaining bikes are YZ's at maybe 10% of the bikes. What about Suzuki you ask? The only Suzuki 80 being raced right now in the 80 class here is a 94 RM80 being run by my son's buddy and last week was his first race. The only thing I can attribute these numbers too is dealer support and not bike related issues. The local Kawi shop has the best support program for the racers and the fairest as far as you earn points on a model they have setup and this translates into what % you save on parts and accessories. The Honda and Yamaha dealers Sponsor a few elite racers and the Suzuki dealers don't have any interest in MX racing. So from here it looks like the best program for racers will get your bike on the line more often then any arbitrary magazine rating.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Have to agree that they're all very competitive and it comes down more to dealer support. In our area, the YZ and RM are the majority with the KX's being pretty close. Not a lot of CR's.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
From the initial reports from the KTM dealer's meeting, the KTM 85 looks like it will be strong contender for King of the Class.

Info received from the dealer's meeting,

"85 SX motor no HP rating but head KTM engineer says it has more HP than any other 80/85 from any other manufacturer at this time. 03 sx 85 does not have any parts from the 65, powervalve engine, replacable cylinder head insert, hydraulic clutch like the big bikes not an add on like the 65 and the frame has 43 mm wp usd forks and a WP PDS rear shock"

Have a deposit on one, but will keep the RM just in case.

mxer1345

Aug 15, 2002
my kx 85 is one of the fastest bikes in my class, i can pull holeshots like nothing, and i have an sst on there for the top end. but if you want a good stock bike, get a yz 85

RanMan

May 22, 2002
Just bought my 12 year old son an '03 YZ85 and I have to say this thing screams. Came jetted a little rich, but after rejetting, it will fly. Can't compare
speed to any others for I haven't ridden any of them. One thing that sold me the YZ over the KX was the suspenders. Fully adjustable front and rear and was a few hundred bucks cheaper too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…