what's the best rear tire for me?

paul

Jul 3, 1999
My last tire was the one that came with the bike. I ride hard terrain, mud and on the highway but most of the time off road. What company should i choose what brand and who has the best prices? Thanks for any info.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you want a long lasting versatile tire that performs well, get a Michelin M12. It is not DOT approved but I've used it on dual sport bikes and it holds up much better than most. Due to Michelin's odd sizing, add 20 mm to the width you normally use.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I have been using the Bridgestone ED-12 on my bikes and found they have held up better than anything else I have used. Both bikes are street legal and they do see quite a bit of pavement. I also ride in a lot of nasty rocks.

Hope this helps ya!
Brenda

------------------
89, 92 KDX 200, 240
98 Montesa
94 ATK 250, 406

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
Why wouldn't you want a DOT tire? Just because it says DOT on the side doesn't mean they are street tires that won't work in the dirt. They are build to a higher standard to achieve the rating....and because of that, won't fall apart on the pavement. You can still have an awesome dirt tire that happens to be DOT legal.

My husband uses a D606 on his 605 4 stroke and it is a DOT tire also. Holds up better than anything else he has put on that bike!

Brenda

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Brenda - many of us have dual sported for years on non-DOT knobbies and never had one fall apart.

IMO, DOT approved tires are not necessarily better built than non-DOT tires. A DOT approval just means the manufacturer submitted the tire for testing, and it passed. Just because a manfacturer does not submit a tire for testing does not mean it would not pass.

Even the DOT approved knobbies should be handled with care on the street, and some will wear out just as fast as 'dirt only' tires. The M12 is the longest lasting knobbie I've ever used by far, and served me very well on dual sport rides.

paul

Jul 3, 1999
I hate some company's, Some one told me Michelin is crap and the m12 will never fit a kdx. they said get a dunlop739 or bridgestone m40 or pirelli mt21. Im so confused. If you people still think the M 12 is the best which size should i get?

120/90-18

130/80-18 120/80-19 130/70-90

foxracer2001

Mar 30, 2001
i think michelan is good. I dont have a vert powerful bike but my friend has a 1999 Yz 250 and he uses micnalen. He exparemented with some others but none seem to compare to michalen

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
130/80-18 is what I'm running in a S-12.

I would buy the same thing again.

------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DirtMan

Aug 6, 1999
I have used several Michelin M12 and S12's and they hook up great. The S12 (my favorite) hooks up great in wet conditions. The M12 is good on dry terrain. as far as size, I use a 140 on my KDX. It sticks to the trail like glue. The bigger tire want slow you down like some may lead you to believe. If your spinning wheels your moving slow.

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Go with the 110 if you go with a Dunlop. Michelin tires are sized different than Dunlop.

By this, I mean that they have a shorter sidewall and due to this you need to go to a larger width to equal the size of a Dunlop.

Dunlop 110/100-18 = Michelin 130/80-18

I don't know why this is, but this is the info that I have always been given.

I currently have a worn (not real bad, but starting to show a lot of age=miles) 110/100-18 Dunlop 752. I've run them for years, but have never been happy with the wear.

The Woman's Forum moderator's husband was a member of our enduro club. He rides a KTM300 and the Michelin S-12 on his bike is what sold me on the tire. Dave and Lori ride all the time, competitively, and after over a year of harescrambles, and tons of play riding, the S-12 was still sharp and barely worn.

I'm not telling you that you should have a S-12. There's a lot of great tires out there, by a lot of companys.

As long as you follow the manufactures recommendations about the terrain you're riding, I don't think you can get burned.

Good luck and let us know what you picked, and how you like it!!! It'll be a new tire, so it will always be great..

------------------

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by paul:
I ride hard terrain, mud and on the highway but most of the time off road.

You have picked from one end of the range to the other. If you pick a M-12, you will loose out on traction in mud and sand, if you take the S-12, you will loose out on hardpack.

About half the riders I know, who race every weekend that they can (enduro/harescrambes) ride with S-12's and only S-12's. Nothing to do with sponsership, or anything other than they like the tire.

It's $55. Buy whatever you want and try it. If it doesn't work as well as you would like, buy something else next time....

It's not a life and death decision.

------------------

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you ride hard terrain or highway, get the M12. The S12 and 756 will offer better performance in soft terrain, but for you the M12 sounds like the ticket.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Dan,
Dave STILL has that S-12 on his bike! It has chunked in a couple places, but not bad overall. I just bought a set of M-12's for mine (KTM200EXC). I decided on the M-12 because of the mix of mud and rocks we have out here. I hope it works out. Bought mine online at www.tireexpress.com. The price was the best on the 120/90 ($52). Haven't received them yet, so can't say how they work out!

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Lori,
I think Dave got his, yours, and my, money's worth out of that tire. :D

I have a new front and rear S-12 sitting in the back bedroom. I was going to put them on before this weekend, but decided the rear 752 was still 90% there and the front is almost new.

Probably change out the rear after a few more rides. The front was very cheap due to a $20 coupon from Michelin that I got last summer at a BMW Rally. Probably change it just to see what it's like compared to the 752.

Have Dave ride the M-12 and let us know what he felt about the difference between the two.

Or you could get some time in on his 300???

------------------
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've used both the M-12 and S-12 and they are each outstanding in their own way.

IMO the S-12 is the best performing soft and intermediate front tire you can buy. The rear is also very good and comparable to a Dunlop 756 rear. The S12 also works OK in hard terrain, but perhaps not as well as some of the hard terrain specific tires.

The M12 is resistant to chunking and lasts a very long time. The rear has a stiff sidewall is best run at low air pressure (9-10 pounds) to enhance soft terrain performance. On hard pack covered w/sand and dust, a worn front M12 can wash out with little warning, but most tires will do the same. In most conditions, the M12 front is very capable but just a small step below m my all time favorite S12. But the M12 rear is money well spent for anybody that wants a versatile tire that lasts a long time.

Of course, tires are a personal preference. If you haven't tried Michelin yet, the performance and wear are worth a few extra $ IMO.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i run the s12 on the rear and the m12 on the
front thats what most the riders around here
run and they do hold up great plus pleanty
of traction

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1980 it425
1983it250
alexis il

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Ditto on the s12 and m12 combo. A local bike shop says they have sold 75 sets since the first of the year and they work very well on 2 strokes

Top Bottom