jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
In my search for a new bike I have heard a few things here and there and I was just wondering...Is it true that the fairly new (00-04) CR125's have great suspension but a terrible engine/powerband? My friend says if I get a CR I should get one thats newer than 96 but not brand new because the engine is really bad. Can anyone who has a CR or knows more about this please help, thanks alot.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by viper02989
In my search for a new bike I have heard a few things here and there and I was just wondering...Is it true that the fairly new (00-04) CR125's have great suspension but a terrible engine/powerband? My friend says if I get a CR I should get one thats newer than 96 but not brand new because the engine is really bad. Can anyone who has a CR or knows more about this please help, thanks alot.

Thats all opinion. Personally, In my opinion I am not a very big fan of the powerband on Honda 2-strokes at all, which is why I went with a KX 125. But thats me, plus the fact that for my riding style, low end is more important than top end. Not that I have anything against CRs or Honda at all, but they are just not my type of bikes. Besides, there are always other brands to check out.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
with regards to most riding scenarios,track or trail, CR 125's from '00 to '04 are more than fast enough.No doubt that in a drag race down a field,it might lose against some bikes or some would argue peak HP numbers.What is the big deal with that though? I say buy one if the deal is right and enjoy the bike.It is tough to go against Honda quality.

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
Yeah that was sorta what I was thinking...Im not really into serious racing or anything so I guess it would matter to the average Joe Rider. Thanks guys!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
in my opinion, the motor is the most important aspect of a 125.. you may think a CR125 will do you, but ride a YZ125 and you will see what your missing.. i would not buy a honda, but that's me

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
I agree with Hondas having pretty lousy alltogether powerband.

i myself would never buy a honda 2 stroke but thats me of course since many people like them, but if you want that brutal top end power, go with a YZ since i think it is an overall better bike, or if you are one who wants a better overall powerband, the RM is also a good option, or the KX which will kill them all down low and mid.

it just seems that these days when people want to get into dirtbikes, and they are looking at one, they automatically seem to jump right to honda without any research and end up regretting the bike. Not intended at the poster, but for instance, where i live and where i ride the places near here, nearly all the kids my age just get cr 85s without any initial research at all and dont know anything about what kind of power they need. it just puzzles me.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
04YZ250 oh yea like you know! Take it from someone who's rode them all the CR is a great bike sounds like it's more than prefect for what you want to use it for. Each bike will fly just take the time to properly setup / dail it in for yourself thats the most important part. That's usually what seperates a factory ride from a stock ride. The fact that it has been fine tuned for that one rider only. It's like how I like to run my levers up and nearly level with the bars for my short fingers yet my friends ride my bike and knock it and wonder how I can ride it that way, just like I wonder how the can ride with thier levers pointed so far down, I'm sure you get my point.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have ridden two YZ125s and 2 CR125s (01 and 02) and I liked the CRs better. The YZs were both 96s though, might not be a valid comparison. I rode a 2000 YZ250 and it sucked too.

Its all opinion in my opinion.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
For most average people, any of those bikes will have all of the power and more than you will be able to handle effectively. It's like MXP1MP said, get it tuned for yourself and have fun...unless you're a pro rider just pick what color you like best. I have had Yamaha riders ride my cr250, and they really seemed to like it, especially the brakes, but said they noticed the headshake in the turns. Every bike will have certain things that you will have to adapt to, and compinsate for.

It is definately all opinion....

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by redriders
i dont really like the new cr's they got to maroon

Judging this on the website, right? I don't know why, but on their website they have all their 04's dark as hell. But in the store, they are bright red.

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by shnalln
but said they noticed the headshake in the turns.

It is definately all opinion....

I've only noticed headshake when I'm wide open in the long straights. I usually can't even get fast enough on a track to develop a headshake on my CR250R.

That said. IMO Yamaha is currently fighting harder for market share than Honda is. I'd buy a Yam or Hon or KTM if I were in the market. I don't appreciate any Kaws/Suzs except for the KX500/KDX200... Those models do have redeeming qualities, the other models are trumped by Honda/Yamaha/KTM bikes.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Yea, All I could say about that was..."Hmm"... I've grown so adapt to the bike I don't notice it myself...as far the engine being weak, the best advice I could give you is to go test ride one somewhere and see what YOU think. It's alll rider preferance.

Top Bottom