whats the differance ? betwen a gnarly and a burly pipe?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I bought this bike already set up :>) and a fine job! but I keep hearing about the burly rev pipe? well mine has has a gnarly pipe on it, it must be a rev pipe because this thing never stops reving! I have a dennis kirk in the libary with a cordless phone handy. and I've spent my far share of $$$$ in there. but I've never seen a gnarly pipe in there catalog? so I ask spud #2 the kid knows every thing "right" he says its just a older model of the burly pipe and yes dad its a rev pipe. is he right ?

Last edited:

Bubba

Jan 5, 2000
That sounds right .
i heard FMF had to change the name to Gnarly for some reason. I do know that the Gnarly Torque is marked KG35 and the Rev is KG30 . this is located on one of the mounting tabs, but I forget which.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Gnarly means that it's a little heavier gauge steel.
KG-30 rev, KG-35 torque for the 200. They only list the rev for a 220.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
When FMF first came out with their "offroad" line of pipes with heavier metal, they were called "Burly". For some reason, probably because some marketing guru said it would sell better, or maybe it sounded more "manly", they changed the name to "Gnarly". It is still the same pipe.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
thanks guy's went and checked out my pipe . it a burly gold series kb30, so It's a rev pipe.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by spanky250
When FMF first came out with their "offroad" line of pipes with heavier metal, they were called "Burly". For some reason, probably because some marketing guru said it would sell better, or maybe it sounded more "manly", they changed the name to "Gnarly". It is still the same pipe.

Per FMF's advertising, the Gnarly is 2 gauges thicker steel than the Burly.

Since they only make one pipe for some bikes, and choose to make it in one thickness like the Gnarly, people confuse the thickness name with what the bike is supposed to do to the power. In reality it varies by bike model, and in some cases (like with the KDX) they make multiple pipes for the same bike, both called Gnarly nowadays. I believe the 30 and 35 designs were around before even the Burly designation.

As for the '89-'94 bikes, a "Fatty" is available. It would not surprise me if that pipe is currently being made out of Burly or Gnarly spec steel, but keeps the Fatty name.

The way to see what the pipe design does to the power, other than riding it, is for someone who knows 2 stroke pipe construction to look at them side-by-side and measure different parts of the pipe to see the differences and then state the theoretical difference they make. So many other factors effect HP and power delivery it is hard to say just how the bike will react to the pipe change, other than when you dump a stock two-wall like on the KDX or RMX and go to a real expansion chamber.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by TexKDX

I believe the 30 and 35 designs were around before even the Burly designation.

Yeah. I have one. If it is stamped K30/K35, it's the lighter guage. Still rev/torque respectively. The KG30/KG35 is, correspondingly, the heavier guage metal..same rev/torque effect.

The rev ends up being less 'strong' than the torque due to the fact that the rev is SO much bigger (larger diameter cones used in construction).

There has been plenty of confusion regarding FMF pipes for years. Terms like 'desert', 'woods', 'gnarly', 'burly' get tossed around without a whole lot of regard to the facts-o-the-matter.

A 'Fatty' was supposed to be an 'all round' pipe..and is only listed for earlier KDXs. That doesn't 'splain why I've recently seen a '00 220 that had an FMF pipe that said 'Fatty' right on it.

Oh well.........

Top Bottom