Whats the difference between the exc and mxc 200's

SWHALEY

Nov 7, 2001
I think i'm going to purchase one in the morning, a 2002 mxc 200.
Someone told me the exc was better for hare scrambles but could not tell me why, please help!
How does $3600 sound for this bike?

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
exc: wide-ratio transmisson, head light, tail light, odo, softer suspension settings

mxc: close ratio transmission, no lights (although it does have a magneto), no odo, slightly stiffer suspension settings

btw, 3600 sounds like a very good deal if the bike is in good shape.

will

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
if I can help- I have a 2001 400 mxc and a racer freind of mine who test drove my bike and then drove a exc a few weeks later aaid the exc is geared lowerer and highter meaning the gears are spread out further I checked my manual and the 4th gears are the same, but the exc had the lower first and higher 6th similar to haveng overfdrive. I intend to get it inspedcted and on the road soon and I dont think its top speed will be as high as and exc, but then I dont intend to drive over 65 mph on the interstates more than a few miles to the tracks and trils around here, besides they recommend that you do an oil change every 15 hours, so i`ll use my dual sport on the road and the mxc onlly to get to trails. my mxc lst gear seems a bit high and through tight trrails it seems like it wants to stall the exc is probably easier to chug along,m on the race tracks it s doesnt seem to matter. If I had to do it again I think I would but the mxc for the type of riding i do, if a change my mxc sprockets to achieve better lower speed controll I`ll then loose a lfew mph on the highway. the many problems of a 21st century dirtrider??? good luck

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
In my past reply I made a slight mistake, If I had to do it over again I meant to say I would buy the Exc over the MXC for the added avantahge of the wide ratio transmission but then again you are buying a smaller engine KTM.

SWHALEY

Nov 7, 2001
Thanks alot for the info. Since I have no intention of riding on the streets and I am a slow tight woods rider sound like the mxc is for me with the closer ratio tranny.

All green gear on an orange bike, I'll never hear the end of it :)

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
hey swaley I think you misrread me. If you ride tight woods and need slow speed controll I suggest you get the EXC. like I said bfore the mxc has a higher ratio lst gear which I find harder to use in tight trail in fact I`m sitting here now with an ice pack on my leg because without warning at low speed in lst gear my bike stalled on a sharp uphiull turn and landed on me, a lower geared EXC like my dr=200 probably would glide through such a situation, of course I`ll never know??? I hope I`m not to sosre tomorrow" ther is another post on this forum exc vs mxc I think they agree with me. I do intend to race senior citizen motorcross next spring so the mxc will work for me, but I still wish I had the EXC for the woods.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom