whats the latest youve ver worked on your bike?

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
well its 2am, i dont really feel like going to bed so im going to go work on my bike. Ive worked on my bike til midnight before but ive never started this late.

so whats the latest youve ever worked on your bike?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've learned that I'll end up doing something really stupid if I work on stuff when I'm tired...the lastest I went was 10:30 probably and I quit 'cause I overtightened something and busted it.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Work on it? What's work? I don't understand the language you are speaking. :confused:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It was late winter/early spring, and the swingarm and rear linkage was completely disassembled for a cleaning / greasing project. Last minute decision to go on the inaugural spring ride up north. Got home from work Friday evening, and worked on putting the bike back together and loading the trailer. Finally went to bed around 3:30am, and got up at 5:30am due to a power outage that triggered the smoke detectors. Got up and hit road. Riding on the trail by 10am. It was well worth it!

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I sold the motor for the 00 yz250 last week and finished the deal and got the PayPal around Midnight. It was like a jolt of electricity. I went out to the garage and parted the bike out, cleaned parts, took pictures and was washing my hands for the last time and went to bed around 4am. Got up at 6am and started the new day.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
The night before a race or a ride or a shoot, I can never sleep, so I'll go out and do something on the bike, Hell I've changed the gearing @ 3am and left for the race @ 4:30am.

renshaii

May 11, 2003
A few months ago I couldn't sleep and got up around 3:30 am. I got to thinking it was time for a top end, so by 5 had the engine out and was poking around. By 6 am had the parts ordered online. By 6:30 i decided i was going to strip the bike and paint the frame. By 9 the bike was completely disassembled...
...A month later it finally went back together (sucks to only have time to work on it once a week)

Whoever decided on a magenta frame, with white plastics and pink decals is beyond me...
-93 yamaha wr 250

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Last spring thekid crashed at a friday night race and we had to be at a different track for Sat AM racing. Problem was he busted his foot brake lever and I was lucky enough to find a guy with an extra. Drove to the next track- arrived at 3AM set up the camper then started replacing the foot lever and changing fluids, air filter, and going over the bike finished about 4:15am or so. Got 1 1/2 hrs sleep and got ready for practice. Of course thekid- factory rider wannabe he is- got a full 7 hrs sleep:)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Sleep? I don't even want to get started.
Okie covered it best--'I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead'.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Yea well I guess you old farts require less sleep then the youngings like me. I've worked on my bike until 11pm at night. And I've also gone out there at 12:30am to do something quick and simple. But after that I gotta sleep until 10am atleast. I get like 8-10 hours of sleep a day usually. But it's hard to sleep the night before a race.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Man 8-10 hrs !?!?, I usually get 4-6 and if I'm lucky maybe an 1-1-1/2 before a race, but after a race, the minute I get home, I hit the floor and I'm out for 4-6.

And my kids.........hell, they can saw off 10-12 easy, I just can't do it

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Well, I've done a few allnighters getting bikes ready for the next day. Spent the night in the back of a pick-up truck, under a camper assembling the top end of a flattracker on the way to the Sacramento mile. Got there just in time for practice. :eek:

The most memorable has to be at the one and only AMA road race National we had at the now defunct Ontairo Motor Speedway. I was riding a BSA triple and we got the bike in it's stock form about two weeks before the race. Spent the next two weeks in the shop until about 2-3 oclock every morning getting the bike ready.

Since it was stock, we had to completely dissasemble the engine, machine, massage, zyglo, magnaflux, shotpean, every moving part. Replace most parts with racing parts. Change the frame, wheels, bodywork, etc, etc, etc.

Got the bike done at about 4 oclock in the morning the first day of practice. Everything went suprisingly well during practice. Bike ran good, nothing fell off, even had enough top end speed to be in the hunt for qualifying.

We were pretty tired but, we were feeling pretty proud of ourselves on the way home. All we had to do for the next day was check the bike over, check valve clearance, change tires, oils, etc, etc. Not too much.

I was living in Lakewood at that time and on the way home, we turned the corner to get on the 91 freeway and heard a loud snap in the back of the van. Broken axle! :scream: Fortunatly I had another old axle in the shop with a loose bearing. But, the shop was 35 miles away and it was already about 6 or 7 oclock.

Contacted a friend who came out and rescued us and gave us a ride to the shop. Tig welded the loose bearing on the old axle and my wife gave us a ride back out to Corona where the van was. By the time we got the axle changed and got everything back to the shop it was after midnight and we still had to work on the bike.

Got everything done on the bike by about 4 am or so, loaded up and was back out at the speedway by 7 am, just in time for day two of practice and qualifying. No sleep. :ugg: Found myself going down the front straightaway at about a buck fourty, wondering when my eyes were going to focus on the corner. That was pretty scary.

All in all the day went very well. Qualified well and ran 7th in the main event until at about mile 60 of the 75 mile main event I tossed it away at the end of the endfield straightaway. My own dumb fault. The bike wasn't damaged too bad and was able to pick it up, tear the broken faring and windscreen bits off and finish the race. Finished 14th. All things considered, I was pretty happy with that. Went home and slept for about a week. :confused:

Oh the things we do in the name of fun. :laugh:

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The old man is rambling again, here we go!! :)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by oldguy
Last spring thekid crashed at a friday night race and we had to be at a different track for Sat AM racing. Problem was he busted his foot brake lever and I was lucky enough to find a guy with an extra. Drove to the next track- arrived at 3AM set up the camper then started replacing the foot lever and changing fluids, air filter, and going over the bike finished about 4:15am or so. Got 1 1/2 hrs sleep and got ready for practice. Of course thekid- factory rider wannabe he is- got a full 7 hrs sleep:)

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

:whiner:

&nbsp;

I hope I'm NEVER as good a Dad as you oldguy! :)

Kevin

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i remember the first time i had ever done any real work on a bike i needed to grease the linkage on my yz80 when i was 12. so the day before my race i took it all apart greased it up and had it ready to go back together by about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. but while i was putting the swingarm back together i put the bushings in on the wrong side of the swingarm pivot. i took me and my uncle until midnight to figure out why the swingarm wouldn't go back on the bike.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well Yogurt, enjoy your sleep while you can. By 10am I've been up for 5.5 hours already.

Aw the days of staying out all night, then sleeping til noon are just a memory now.

3:30am is my latest. And anytime after midnight, my bike work has usually been sloppy, so I like to work on my bikes a couple of hours each night. That's my "cave time"

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
The old man is rambling again, here we go!! :)

:eek: HEY! Shut yur pie hole copper, or I'll tell your supervisor you've been jumpin your bimmer again. :scream:

It's no wonder it's in the shop every other week. :laugh:

Good to see ya back. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Eat it old fart! Oh, thanks again for the sponsorship. ;) :moon:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:moon: Dang it Dave, you old koots stick together, at the back of the pack! :)

Top Bottom