whats the point of the resonator?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
what does the resonator do? im not sure if its called the resonator but i ordered a new gasket for it and thats what they called it, its on the left side( sitting on bike) on the side of the cylinder. it says KIPS on it so i always though the powervalve was under there but its just a open space. so whats the point of it? does it have anything to do with the powervalve mechanism?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I think it is a little like black magic, but there are pressure waves that form or develop in there that assist in scavenging the exhaust gases. It kind of helps the expansion chamber do it job.

Mid '80's Yamaha IT200 had a similar arrangement, but on in intake side. I'm not sure how effective it was, but it was there. There was a black rectangular container above the head on the left side and it was connected by a hose to the intake side. I can't remember if it was before or after the reed valve (I think after).

carrslott

Mar 2, 2003
From my 1995 to present service manual (a very handy reference tool) "Operation at low engine speed...Some of the exhaust gas flows into the resonator. The resonator generates a delayed pressure wave that suppresses the escape of fresh gas, lowering fuel consumption." The resonator is closed at high engine speeds(over 6000 rpm)

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Last edited:

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i cant go to those links because it tells me i need to log in and i tried searching for 'resonator' and all that came up was this thread. so could you copy some of the stuff from those links u gave and post it here?

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
toalco-kdx,

Too much good stuff to post here! I'll PM you. Let me know if it doesn't work. There is a good deal of interesting Resonator Theory that I'm sure you won't want to miss!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Toalco, see if this works - just deleted the "&hightlight=cayncarvr" which may have been causing problems for you? If it doesn't work this time, try cutting & pasting the links, rather than just clicking them.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=61479

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=31159

Farmerj, no point in sending Toalco a PM as he's not a subscriber so unable to read PMs.

Hope that works for you this time Toalco. Only other way I can think of getting the threads to you to read would be to download & email them (yell out if need be).

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
thanks.i got michelles to work. in the adress bar i deleted the last 5 numbers 76088 and put in 61479 (the last 5 numbers from micheles link) and it worked. i guess that the only way for a no subscriber to see a subscribers links.

Top Bottom