MacMan

Sep 21, 2001
I have a 2001 KLX-300R. Here's my question: When the bike has not been ridden, it cranks on the first attempt; however, if you stall while riding or shut it off to take a break, restarting the bike is nearly impossible. I follow the exact cranking procedures in the manual, as well as the sticker on the gas tank, to no avail. Otherwise, the bike runs great; plenty of power, great handling and just an all around great motorcycle. Any suggestions?????

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Here are some KLX starting suggestions, in ascending order of benefit:

1) Run a slightly lean idle mixture
2) Set idle speed on the high side
3) Install a hot start circuit - this mod will almost guarantee easy starting for a KLX300 after a stall, flame-out or crash

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I know what you mean. A friend and I both have XR400's. Mine has been rejetted leaner, his is stock, which is still pretty rich. His starts cold on the first kick or two. Mine takes several kicks to start when cold, unless I lay over the bike to flood the carb. However, when out riding, mine starts first kick after stopping or killing. His barely starts at all after he stops or especially if he kills it.

Just like my friend, I think your carb may be jetted on the rich side, especially your idle jet. I bet that if you knocked your idle or pilot jet down a notch you would see a difference. Good luck.

deagle

May 21, 2001
The Hot Start kit is a neccessity. Before I installed it all I could do to help was set the idle up a bit, and that did help. Now I don't even worry about starting hot or after a fall. Go to strokerspeed.com and see the goodies they have.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by deagle
The Hot Start kit is a neccessity.

The Hot-Start kit could very well solve your problem, but it is not a necessity. My KLX is completely stock (airbox lid and butt plug removed) and I have no problem starting it, hot, cold, or flooded. However, when flooded, I have to open up the throttle while kicking and it fires right up. Otherwise I just follow the drill.

I'm not mechanically knowledgable enough to know how to fix your problem. I just wanted to point out that not all KLXs are hard starters and your problem could very well be solved without spending money on aftermarket parts...

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
i couldn't make any sense of the procedures on the tank. the mechanic at the shop where i bought the bike talked me through it tho, and now i can start the bike easily pretty much all the time. maybe some coaching from someone really experienced on just how to find tdc would help.

when my bike gets tipped over and flooded, i just turn the gas off, kick it through 5-6 times, then fire it up. usually 1-3 kicks in that situation, then i turn the gas back on and ride away. this worked for the original cv carb, and now that i have 33mm pumper, it works even better. i have only twice ever had it give me trouble starting, both times were high-stress, following crashes, and it awkward positions on hillsides. i have no hotstart, manual compression release, or any other nonsense.
mw

deagle

May 21, 2001
Did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I guess by saying it was a necessity was meant for certain situations and individual circumstances. I put a new exhaust on mine a week after I bought it so I really don't know how well it starts stock when it's hot. And as far as twisting the throttle all the way open, that will work great as long as you don't have a pumper carb, which I do. I guess the great advantage of these these forums is the fact that you get to see a variety of responses, some good, some bad and some not pertaining to your certain situation. It's up to the reader to use the information to enhance his or her own particular situation. I personally don't think a hot start is nonsense.

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
"nonsense" is not really what i meant, i guess. "gadgetry", "stuff", i dunno. anyway, like you say, everyone is different. i haven't found much need for a hotstart (yet), but if i were racing, i might think differently about saving a few seconds or half a minute even. of course, if i were racing seriously, i'd just get a ktm (haha).

there's gotta be something in kicking technique too. i hear guys complain all the time about how hard certain bikes are to start (yzf's), but then i see guys on the trail that fire em up first kick, every time, even after a tipover. go figger.
mw

deagle

May 21, 2001
I guess why I think it's so valuable is probably cause I am lazy and out of shape. If I am riding hard and have to kick my bike 6 or 8 times somebody better bring an oxygen tank. Funny, I feel the same as I did 20 years ago but my body doesn't act like it did 20 years ago.

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
I have 2 of them. A '97 and '99. Find TDC near the bottom of the kick stroke. Now GENTLY bump down the kick lever until it drops into a "notch". Now come ALL the way up to the top and kick it hard and fast all the way thru the stroke. It will start all the time in one kick. My son rides the '97. He starts it first kick every time. He just turned 12! No problem. If you don't find the notch kick it thru slowly and start all over again. Faster idle speed does make a difference. It also makes a difference (on my bike) if it falls on the right side or left side. Left side fall, one kick. Right side fall, a few kicks. Good luck and don't give up, the bikes are awsome. Also if you want much better throtle response cut 3 coils off of the carb slide spring. Closest thing to a pumper without the hassle.:cool:

Top Bottom