whats up with this pw 50

corenele

Feb 15, 2004
my sons pw 50 ran fine than we went to start it wouldn't start the only way to start it is put a 17 mm socket in my drill and spin it for 2 min and it starts then it runs fine till it cools down again.i have 90 psi compression it has a blue spark that looks good and i removed the carb and cleanedwhat could it be ?its a 1994 pw 50

corenele

Feb 15, 2004
i have 2 new plugs tryed them both timing were would the timing marks be?the thing is that it runs very good after about 2 mins of drill starting the thing but after i kill it and sit for 5 min its back to the drill

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
I dont know for sure but im thinking it might be a bad coil. How good a spark are you getting? Also when you cleaned the carbs how did you clean it. If there is one little particle of dirt in there it could be plugging up a jet so its hard to start when cold. Also do you have a manual? set the jet right. Its a 4 stroke bike right. If it is you could check if the valves are set right. If its 2 stroke dont check that. Thats all i can think of. Also it ran fine and did you let it sit for a winter or how long. I hope this helps.

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
im not sure if the 94 model has reeds but check if they arnt cracked or broken in there, clean your carb jets out, if it was a bad coil why would it even start?

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
yes but what im asking is if the coil was bad why would it even start if it was bad in some parts wouldent it not let it rev all the way or bogg out?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The pilot jet is so small, water will clog it. Spray it, and poke something through it. 1 bristle of a fine wire brush may work. Is the compression with in spec? Still have the reducer washer in the pipe to cylinder? Does the bike start normal after the drill gets it going?

corenele

Feb 15, 2004
i dont know how to test for a good or bad spark its blue not yellow and it looks good.i was going to check the reeds but the guy that had it before me must of striped the 4 screws that hold the intake on now i have to find a way to unscrew them so i can replace the reeds.im replacing the reeds becouse when i was blowing out my carb i also blew out the intake that was still hooked up to the head and i must of blown the reeds out or off becouse now when i turn it over i hear no difference when i twist the throttle no bogging sound when you give it full throttle so im shopping for new reeds online somwere.the bike starts normal after i got it going and it warms up it only takes 1-2 kicks and it starts but when it cools noway will it start it take 1-2 min of drilling it to start to fire.i also went through this carb twice and cleaned everything (me and my buddys are all car nuts and we drag race and we tweek with carbs all the time there were 3 of us here trying to figure this thing out)the spacer was removed i think if it was between the pipe and the head then yes nothing was there when i removed the pipe.my compression is at 90 psi but i dont know what the specs on these are.if the reeds had some dirt or cracked how would it run or would it run ?

motocross3

Jan 30, 2008
just use your drill and drill the bolts out by the way where do you use that socket to start it, ive been trying to get an old 50 started

corenele

Feb 15, 2004
got them loose havnt taken the intake out yet but will tomarow and ordered boysen reeds for it.to crank engine there is a cover just infront of the kick starter about 3 inch round cover that covers the rotor,generator and there is a 15mm or 17mm nut that spins clock wise

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
stop using your drill, if you cant kickstart it dont waste your time inventing other methods of start...... kickstarter will do its job just fine as long as every part on the engine is working correctly. first off check your rings and cylinder, then get into the carb.... i once thrashed a pw50 to death and it had some nasty choke problems.....outside of that the cylinder piston and rings where beyond toast so i decided to see how amphibious it was.... long live on thrashed out pink pdub........

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…