150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
CHR!S said:
arent all the manufacturers stopping two-stroke production because of environmental concern/legislation?
no.

Kawasaki still makes their 2-stroke minis (100/85/65).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I find it oddly amusing that in the late 80s/early 90s, Yamaha and Honda were accused of killing the open class by discontinuing their manufacture of 500cc two stroke MX bikes (YZ490/WR500, RM500), while Honda and Kawasaki were praised for keeping the CR500 and KX500 going as long as they did.

Now, Honda and Kawasaki are the bad guys for no longer offering up two stroke MX bikes, while Yamaha and Suzuki still take the time to ship 'em to the US.

weird

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Why would kawi continue making them?

I bet they sold 1 2-stroke for every 15 4-strokes in 06.

It makes sense that they would focus on manufacturing the 4-stroke. Its more marketable and more profitable.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRazy250 said:
i have a feeling the 2stroke bikes will be gone for a few years, then they will bring them back.

... and the Tooth Fairy will win a SX title on one. :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
CRazy250 said:
i have a feeling the 2stroke bikes will be gone for a few years, then they will bring them back.

If they bring 'em back, the OEM's will have to find a way to clean them up. The technology exists, but it is neither inexpensive or light.

New two-strokes are dead for the foreseeable future. Good used examples can be found at bargain prices.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
CaptainObvious said:
Good used examples can be found at bargain prices.
And for the few of us still riding them, what more can we ask for? It's falling right in our laps...........YES!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Kawi is still making their mini 2t because they dont have a 4t to replace it, right?

Aug 22, 2007
The goverment is stoping the companys its to bad for ecomy its sad there all going to be 4 pokes in a couple years...:( "life goes on" right:) ride them well we can

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:

Yep, it's because his wings let him quad over stuff that Bubba will only double. I hear that Honda's already planning on protesting Mr. TF.... :laugh:

IF the rules were to change and no longer favored the 4-strokes, I think the pingers would be back very quickly. Of course, that's a very big IF, and a rather unlikely one at that.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Long story short... unfortunately they do produce more emissions. However... in my opinion... going after people riding their dirtbikes on a "for pleasure" basis would seem to hardly make a dent in the green-house gases problem.

Whatever... I just pray that somebody will take-up the cause of producing after-market OEM parts to help keep our BEAST's running strong... I mean.. C'Mon... how long have VW Bugs been around? And there are companies making totally new engines and so forth for them.

I had an '01 KTM 450MXC... which was a bad-ass bike, mind you... but it can't hold a candle to the '96 KX 500 which has replaced it. Not by a looooonnnnngg shot!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:

The Tooth Fairy cheats. Those wings give an unfair advantage over doubles.

(Should have finished post before posting--Matt beat me to the Joke)

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
the government should pick on hummers, suv's, diesels, and other enviromental harming vehicles, but the smallest population of 2 stroke engines gets blamed for it all and gets taken off the market, that just bends my my titanuim 4 stroke VALVES!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Seeing as how the AMA amateur rules have changed for '08, I think the OEMs are going to do some back pedaling, especially when it comes to the 250 2t. The 150 and the 250 4t should be on their way out in the amateur ranks, that is, if the current rules last very long.

KnobShredder

Dec 1, 2000
there's quite a bit of valve overlap in the mx 4 strokes so i wouldn't exactly call them emissions friendly. they certainly aren;t environmentally friendly, what with their noise level.
I spoke with a KTM rep at this weekend's CycleWorld show and while he wouldn't confirm for sure, he did insinuate that they were working on a direct injection 2 stroke, but that it was still years away. and he was extremely thankful to Honda and Kawasaki for doing away with their 2 stroke line

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
CRazy250 said:

I felt the same way until a bought my 06 crf450, I rode it for the first time today and now I understand why they are so desirable. I just hope I dont have to spend all my free time working on it instead of riding it.

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
companys make way more money on the 4 strokes in production and parts then they ever did on 2 strokes, thats kinda why new bikes are around 8000 dollars. its still a fairly a cheap privateer sport but nothing like how it was in the 70's were you had 5 tracks within 10 miles of eachother and bikes cost 700 dollars. over time people, companys and laws have changed and caused the sport to fade away.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
CRazy250 said:
the government should pick on hummers, suv's, diesels, and other enviromental harming vehicles, but the smallest population of 2 stroke engines gets blamed for it all and gets taken off the market, that just bends my my titanuim 4 stroke VALVES!
actually diesels are quite efficient, people just see colored smoke and automatically assume its the devil :p

Top Bottom