Whats wrong? 98 KDX

B

Jun 29, 2000
Well as a long term pre 94 KDX owner I recently bought a 98 vintage 200 with Gnarly pipe and airbox mod. The bike is in really good condition and runs 13/47 gearing.
I must say now that its been a very big let down. The bike feels horribly over geared and tops out at 60mph. It wants to wheelie off the throttle in the first 3 gears but the power is very 'switch like'. The low end power feels fine when going up the rev range but when the bike drops out of the power its really had to get it back without shifting two gears. :ugg:

Coming from a 250 Gasgas it just plain annoys me, it fact the bike is driving me mad enough to sell the thing asap. Its just like owning a 125 again.

Any ideas?

B

UK

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't the overseas bikes have some 33mm goober carb?

A US '98 200 geared 13/47 (using the oem 35mm carb) will run over 80mph.

B

Jun 29, 2000
No its the standard enduro version with a 35mm. It just revs very quickly without really going anywhere.

Very dissolutioned indeed, Im going back to gasgas but with the 300 this time. Saying that the EC250 had a great usable power curve.

B

UK

B

Jun 29, 2000
I compair it back to back with the old 89 200SR which is running 13/50 and will top 85mph. The old one feels soo much smoother but that maybe the 28mm carb. It not the most powerfull bike but it can lift the front wheel in the first 3 gears pretty easily and has been a good steed for me. The other is just too firey, as they say here, 'all pants and no trousers!'.

B

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
sounds like your power valve is stuck on "open", cause the power should be real smooth. Good luck with it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If the KIPS was stuck open it wouldn't sign off so soon....just start late!

There is something wrong, cuz the 'H' model kdx 200 just doesn't act that way.

What are the chances it's a 220? What is capacity stamp on the cylinder?

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Jetting might contribute to that as well. Have you checked/changed the plug? Might want to start off with the free/cheap maintenance stuff first before you go off selling it for a 300. The KDX can be made to run very nice, trust me! :thumb:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Which gnarly pipe are you running? The -30 rev pipe or the -35 torque pipe? Sounds like the rev pipe which has a big hit in the power band. The torque pipe is smoother with no hit. With the rev pipe my '95 200H needs to be ridden like a 125, but with the torque pipe it's a friendlier power spread...doesn't punish me for dogging it a little. It'll still go like mad if I get on it though.

B

Jun 29, 2000
Its the torque pipe thats on it. The jetting is crystal clean, thats the odd thing.

When I bought the bike I gave it a quick razz round the housing estate the guy lived on, but no open stright roads just to see how it performed fully across the rev range.

Like I said Ive owned a 89 200 for 5 years now but this bike feels so different.

B

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…