dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
After dominating in Canada, he is yet to finish in the top 10 in the US Lites class. I really thought he would do much better (consistent top 10 and occasional top 5 finishes).

Is Klatt going to turn it around this year, or is he just not fast enough?

After his lackluster 5 rounds, I'm leaning toward 'not fast enough'. If there is another reason, let's hear it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Your expectations and mine were similar for Dusty. For whatever reason he is not performing at the level he is capable of to this point. His starts have been atrocious most races. I asked a similar question on a Canadian forum where some folks he is close to post but nothing really came out of the post. As far as not fast enough I still don't buy that as I'm watching guys he dominated in the past few seasons show better results than he has this season.

I'd like to see him on a 450 as that is where he is a far better rider and based on this season my guess is he'll be riding a privateer 450 next season and working his way back to where he belongs.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I think it's the exchange rate. If you take it into account, he's actually winning by ELEVEN DAYS!!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
XRpredator said:
I think it's the exchange rate. If you take it into account, he's actually winning by ELEVEN DAYS!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

And thanks to Chili for your response.

If Klatt's rightful place is near the top of the MX class, it's a shame he has to dig such a deep hole for himself! Most guys that can ride a 450 can also get around very well on a 250. With the magnitude of his drop off it seems like there must be more at work.

Finishing up the season strong would be a nice first step back - hopefully he will start on this path at Unadilla.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
dirt bike dave said:
If Klatt's rightful place is near the top of the MX class, it's a shame he has to dig such a deep hole for himself!

I think top of the MX class may be a bit of a stretch but I would have the same expectations I had for him at the start of this season. Considering the privateer currently getting the most ink is likely Gavin Gracyk who is sitting 11th in the MX class right now is a guy that Klatt handled with ease the last few seasons I'd likely spot Klatt in a place or two higher than Gracyk if he was riding at potential. Others do not feel he is that far off from those expectations if he could buy a start.

dirt bike dave said:
Most guys that can ride a 450 can also get around very well on a 250. With the magnitude of his drop off it seems like there must be more at work.

My personal feeling and this is based on nothing more than internet BS and the odd post I've seen floating around since I've yet to see Dusty ride this year is that he did not embrace riding the 250F like he needed to and perhaps it's affecting his results, again nothing more than speculation from a couch 2000+ miles away. One other thing I wondered was if the switch to Blue did not agree with him, as he'd been on Red for many seasons now, sometimes guys just don't make the necessary transition all that well from brand to brand.

Either way I know Dusty is a hard worker who will figure it out in the end and will eventually find his place as a solid top ten guy in the MX class.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I think the expectations were WAY too high for him coming in. I said many a times only to be flamed on some boards, that he would be lucky to break the top 10. His speed in Canada has nothing to do with the speed here in the US. Our tracks are totally different, the pace is different, and the talent depth of the field is different.

some people's expactations just weren't realistic. For a first year guy he is doing as well as can be expected. Give him time to learn the pace, the competition, and the tracks and he will do better. I doubt he will ever be a top 5 guy, but he will get better.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Top 20 riders go north for fame and fortune,then come back to reality,ask Chisolm! Darcy was on a role,after that,I do not know. Klatt seemed good up there in 450 class for sure! Dare I say the Canadians are better in the mx class than the lites?

Top Bottom