Votes: 2 8.0%
  • >100 mph, my bike is way fast....

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
i always wanted to try it. see if i could break the hundred mark with my bike.

I think it is possible cause i got to 83 so fast and i had run to go and no gear left.

my goal overall though is to break the 200 mph mark before i turn 18.
And yes i want to do it legally. Maybe get a modded R1 and hit an unregister speed zone in like montana or something.

That seems crazy but not really. 3/4 of my street riding friends have hit and they are only 17, legal to, can not stress enough, stupid, but legal.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004

On what bikes are they doing this, and how are they measuring speed? Speedo's on those things are usually quite inaccurate, especially as speed increases (since the speedometer is off by a percentage). One of the local lunatics/drag racer had a pretty hopped up ZX-11 a few years back, ran mid 190's on his GPS, but he said the speedo was telling him 210+ mph. 200 is wicked fast, and not many bikes will pull it.

And even in those zones with no speed limit you still have to travel at a "safe and prudent speed", which is completly up to the officer's opinion. I read an article sometime back in Car and Driver where they did a test in Montana, the officers they spoke with had said once you are in triple digits you are starting to push your luck.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Cracking 200 is quite difficult. I have quite a few acquaintences who have tried and tried and tried to no avail. And this wasn't on the street. This would have been in an organized competition with certified timing equipment. In reality, on a motorcycle it takes about 200 HP.

Here's a pic of my bike that went 180. That's a 1650cc Zippers engine making about 160 HP:

And here is a pic of the World's fastest Buell. It went 217 this year on nitromethane and 212 a few years ago on gas and nitrous:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999

Attachments

• dumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 88

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
loudandproud said:
my goal overall though is to break the 200 mph mark before i turn 18.
And yes i want to do it legally. Maybe get a modded R1 and hit an unregister speed zone in like montana or something.

I believe Montana has returned to having set speed limits, however even if they haven't 200 mph would still not be legal. When they took out the set speed limit your speed was limited to "What was reasonable and prudent" I can assure you 200 mph on a public roadway is neither.

mx_racer32

Apr 7, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
41mph on an 87 TW200. Sprockets are not stock and I'm not sure if the speedometer is driven off the transmission or front wheel, so I voted 100+.

thats a pretty badass motorcycle. i heard that if you bend the subframe while doing wheelies you can get an additional 2mph.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Papakeith said:
quit hating on the thread Pman.
I don't hate the thread or the few good posts in it, I just fail to see the importance of top speed for a MX bike. In the grand scheme of things it's very rare if ever that it's of any importance at all. Why not compare how much air you can get on a CBR600? Maybe lap times for a Goldwing? Throw in the fabled double century posts and it kicks up the BS level even further. I think I've seen exactly one person post that could actually prove up that number and it wasn't on a dirt bike or even powered by a engine you would see in a dirt bike.

areaman

Apr 5, 2006
i got like three feet of air on a cbr600 one time wen i jumpeded off the curve at the end of my dads driveway one tome when i was going reel fast in first gear

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
kawicam250 said:
reaching 180mph.+ on a ZX-14 would not be a problem. its the fastest stock street bike in the world, even faster than the legendary Hayabusa :)
Just another nail...

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Why not compare how much air you can get on a CBR600?

There is a video out there of one of those FMX guys going into a foam pit on a street racer. I'd like to see the bike hit the ramp at 200 MPH. :yeehaw:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
gwcrim said:
There is a video out there of one of those FMX guys going into a foam pit on a street racer. I'd like to see the bike hit the ramp at 200 MPH. :yeehaw:

which reminds me........... a couple months ago, i saw that Ripley's believe it or not was on. a guy attempted( and completed) to jump 60ft. on a Harley riding backwards( not the bike, he postioned himself backwards), below him was a ton of buses, he got a good bit of length to get up to speed and he did it, it was pretty cool. :nod: :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
alright this one has run it's course. of the 39 posts, maybe three had anything to do with the original question.
*PK hammers the final nail*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…