Feb 11, 2005
I just recently ordered a new set of rear wheel bearings for my cr. Im having trouble getting them in, I checked the part numbers on the sproket side and found out they are the wrong bearings. I still cant get the bearing and the seal on the rotor side to fit proper. I was wondering if I had to and how to remove the retainer i tryed everthing pv blast, heat and even a slide hammer. I would appreciate and answer. Thank you

Feb 11, 2005
not a circlip

Its not a circlip. I was wondering what the piece was and if it is even supposed to come out. Then i looked at planet honda racing at a diagram of the rear tire and they call it a retainer. In the picture it looks like its supposed to come out because the bearings are behind it

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
The retainer ring has to be removed.

Look at it very closely, if the bearings have never been removed before you will see that there is a tiny spot where the retainer ring has been staked to the hub...like a dimple. You need to tap that spot with a small fine screwdriver first to remove the staking.
A flat piece of metal placed across the slots in the retainer works great. Hold it and twist with a pair of vicegrips . Heat the hub first with a rag soaked in boiling water.
Hope this makes sense. By the way, these retainer rings are extremely brittle. Its 50/50 that you get it out without snapping it.

Top Bottom