speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Has anyone ever re greased their wheel or any other bearings? It seems I read somewhere that you could take a 'good' existing bearing and put wheel bearing grease in it and re use it.
This might intail removing the plastic cover and flushing the old grease out using solvent and re packing it.
I have also thought that drill and tapping grease inserts into the swingarm and steering head area might be a good idea. How about somebody making a swingarm axle/shaft that has a grease fitting or two that feeds into a bushing? IF somebody out there has an idea that might work and might be interested in making an aftermarket part that we could all benefit from PM me.
tom
93kdx200
91kdx200 needs a rear wheel
I am fairly new to the kdx but see some areas that might be improved through good old us of a (canada included)aftermarket ingenuity

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
The bearing dust covers can be removed fairly easy with a sharp scribe or such. The outer rubber part of the cover is backed by a stainless steel disk on the inner surface, which you'll see when you remove it. Work the tip of the scribe into the inner diameter and slowly lever it up. The dust cover will bow a little bit, then slowly pop up & out. If you grap a handful of leverage at first, you could bend the inner disk, so be patient & it will pop out.

After that, you can clean the bearings with some Carb/Choke cleaner, let dry, and pack fresh grease back in between the gaps in the bearing cage.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'Has anyone ever..wheel...bearings..'

Most everytime I change a tire (several times a year).

As far as '..other bearings', I certainly hope so! Couple times a year for sure!

re: zerk install
Discussed ad infinitum on this board. Pictures and everything. Use the search function to get it. Note that a drilled swingarm pivot accomplishes diddle without the sleeve being modified.

A small syringe helps when trying to get grease into an installed wheel bearing.

I wouldn't recommend taking the bearing OUT to do it. For one thing, the less you pound things in and out of the aluminum hub the better.

Second, the words 'pound' and 'bearing' don't go together well. You have to 'pound' on the INNER race of the bearing to get it out. Bad idea for wanting to reuse the bearing.

Note jayhawk's 'inner' note. THAT works. Try it from the outer, and your cover will likely be destroyed.

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
i have a 87 kdx 200 ...mine does have grease fittings on the swingarm shaft...it also has two other ones on the uni-trak link...regreasing the bearing wont help with play at all but it will help prolong the life of it....but if it has any play in it i would suggest juts getting new ones....as for regresing them alot i belive that is juts as bad as not greasing them at all

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
If you heat the hubs up you'll get the bearings out quite easily.. Also, heat the hub when installing the new ones, and put some anti-seize on the bearing's outer diameter before installation.

Put good quality grease in even a brand new bearing. The bearings can be found quite cheaply.. I would personally just buy some new ones, and regrease them for the $10 you might save.

Jon!

HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
I've done my wheel bearings several times and found replacement sealed bearings at a "heating and cooling" wherehouse/distibutor. $7.20 for two. When replacing them put them in the freezer for an half hour or so and press them into the hub. I made a simple tool for such purpose. 30mm socket, some nuts, washers and a threaded rod. Cost = $3.50 It works great. :thumb:

Top Bottom