Wheel bearing seizure...ARGH!!!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Well I've been lucky - change bearings and they won't seize, know you buy a used bike and the guy has failed to keep it up...ARGH!!!!

I proceeded to take out one side...no probem, side two...PROBLEM, the bearing cratered and know the outer part is seized in the hub - any ideas on getting this @#$% thing out? Dremel?? Dremel and a few choice words??!!

Like I said - I've been lucky(or prepared!?) and have never seized a bearing before. Thought about heat but on a magnesium hub that sounds scary :o .

Thanks!!!

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You can heat a magneseum hub; however boil a rag in water in your microwave. Then wrap the rag around the hub and leave for ten minutes or so.
Do this a few times. Along with some careful tapping with a punch and the thing has to come out. Maybe soak some penetrating oil around it the night before.
I would avoid using a Dremel if possible as one slip of the old hand and the hub will be damaged.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Enduro_Nut.

A good little trick to remove a seized outer bearing race is to have someone heli-arc a bead of weld on the inside of the race. Weld one bead completly around the inside. This will shrink the race and it will most likely fall out. You can use a wire welder, but they cause a lot of spatter and may damage the bore for the bearing. Welding the race also heats the hub, thus expanding it a little.

If the heat trick that Peer Lovell suggested doesn't work, you might try that.

You can also heat the hub with a torch, but you have to be VERY careful not to concentrate the flame in one spot. You could end up with a huge sparkler. :scream:

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
how about using a tight fitting bearing driver to knock it out? I don't know if that would help, but thats what I would try if it happened to me.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…