Vos Schola

Apr 16, 2000
How do i get the rear wheel bearings out? So far I have taken off the rubber seals. Is there anything else that has to be removed? or can i just press them out now. It seems like there is a little metal lip holding the bearings in on both sides so I figured I'd ask before I broke something and had to buy a new hub.
The bike is a '99 220.
And last but not least how long did/do your wheel bearings last? and should I go with OEM or aftermarket to replace them.
Thanks for any help

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
You have to tap the centre spacer sideways until there is enough of the bearing exposed to catch the edge of a punch on (sharpen to square the edge) so you can tap them out from the opposite side (through this spacer). This may take some time to start them off and cause you to say naughty words. Once the spacer is free, move it around & gradually tap them out.

You can warm the hub up a bit to aid the process. Put the new bearings in the freezer to shrink them & warm the hub. Tap them in with a correct size socket so force is only put on the outer race. Don’t forget the spacer!!

After market is just fine though flick out at least one dust seal as this will not stop water getting in, only slow it getting out.

Bearings die when exposed to water & grit. Road bike ones last seemingly forever. Depends on where you ride & how good your seals are.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I would give CBR bearings a call. They are higher quality bearings and cost less then stock. They have an ad in dirt rider and it says they have a lifetime warrenty. I have used their bearings with no complaints. 800-769-5388

Brenda

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'm getting back into dirt bikes after too many years off. I restore cars as a hobby and am accustomed to repacking wheel bearings. I picked up a nice '98 KLX that should be pretty similar in this area to the KDX. Well, I noticed the steering was a bit rough, so I went to repack the steering head bearings only to find them shot. Apparently the previous owner was a little overzealous with the pressure washer and not into maintaining them, so this cost me $85 and quite a bit of time (vs. $1 worth of grease -- aaargh!).

So my plan was to go through the bike and repack all the bearings. I was planning to do the wheel bearings and the swingarm and linkage bearings and my shop manual is on order so I don't have specifics. From this thread it would appear repacking wheel bearings is not possible (my experience with bearings and punches means you're replacing them at that point). Is this correct or is there a way to maintain them?

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Removing Wheel Bearings

According to Eric Gorrs book wheel bearings are inference bearings. I think thats the word. That means that the bearings diameter is actually bigger than the wheel hub. Accordingly he recommends heating the hub for 4 minutes with a torch before installing the bearings. I highly recommend the book. I have read here that you can also put the bearings in the freezer to decrease the diameter.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I second that on Eric's book. I also got the riding one and it is also excellent (the full color pics alone are worth it).

The word would be intereference, meaning they are pressed in for an intereference fit. What Eric is talking about is an old trick if the fit isn't too tight. Heating the hub increases its diameter while cooling the bearings reduces theirs and can accomplish the fit. What a pain for wheel bearings.:think

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Back to the original question...you must remove the circlip from the rear hub before trying to press the bearings out. You can repack the bearings by carefully prying the seal off the bearing.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Thanks David for the good advice and cycleboy for the clarification on the circlips -- that makes perfect sense.

Also want to thank cyclechick for the BBR pointer as my dealer never has parts in stock and Kawi takes too long when I have to order.

Vos Schola

Apr 16, 2000
Thanks for the help, I'll have to give CBR bearings a call, then when i get them I'll give it a shot. I didn't see any circlips though, or if they were there, a way to remove them. I'll have to look again when my bearings come in.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
if you have a local electric motor supply rebuild place
they also have the bearings for approx. $5 a peice

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Vos Schola
Thanks for the help, I'll have to give CBR bearings a call, then when i get them I'll give it a shot. I didn't see any circlips though, or if they were there, a way to remove them. I'll have to look again when my bearings come in.

There is a snap-ring on the disc brake side of the rear hub. That has to come out first. See the parts diagram at www.buykawasaki.com if you are not sure. How easy the bearings come out depends on their condition. If they've been in long enough that the outer race is rust-welded to the hub, then removal will be difficult and the bearings will not be re-useable. If not, they should come out easily enough. Pound only on the outer race, and if you find yourself beating the crap out of things and nothing is moving then take it to a dealer before damaging your hub.

sj

Dec 19, 1999
put a rag over the circlip as you remove it or you could spend 45min on hands & knees looking for the dang thing.BTW a full roll of duct tape makes a great "anvi" for this operation.l

Top Bottom