jake760

Jun 1, 2008
I'll be replacing the rear wheel bearings on my bike soon, and I would appreciate any tips from the experienced. I have new bearings all ready to put in, but I'm kind of worried about trying to get the old ones out. Will I be able to get them out on my own, or should I just take the wheel into the shop and have them do it?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
As long as the old bearings stay intact you should not have a problem. If the bearings fall apart then all you have to work with is the small lip of the outer race it can be more difficult.

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
Pull the seals first and make sure one side does not have a snap ring holding the bearing in.
Trying to beat this bearing out with out removing the ring could damage your hub.

Mar 18, 2006
make sure you put your new bearings in the freezer for a while to contract them. And warm your hub a little too. It makes a big difference. Clean everything really well before installing bearings. Try not to let someone in a shop touch your machinery. Sometimes you have to.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
longtime coming said:
make sure you put your new bearings in the freezer for a while to contract them. And warm your hub a little too. It makes a big difference. .

This is very good advice. Never remove or replace a bearing without heating the hub first. You can use a small propane or butane plumbers torch for this, available at your local hardware store.

If you pound the bearings out and back in cold, it will remove a little bit of aluminum in your hub and after you do this a few times, it will wear the hub to the point of not holding the bearing properly. Heat the hub and the bearing will fall in without having to hammer it.

Top Bottom