jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I am looking to purchase a spare wheel for my CR 500 and have found one that needs to be re-laced. I would like to re-lace the wheel myself but can't find any information on how to do so. Can anyone here guide me in the right direction and also what is a good spoke to use?

Thanks,
Jim

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Self learning is the best way, you¡¦ll screw around making no progress for the first 20 min & all of a sudden you¡¦re an expert.

Some pointers
„h Copy another wheel to start with.
„h Always use a spoke wrench the right size
„h If relacing straight-pull spokes best to start with new spokes
„h Electric screwdrivers are your friend
„h Ideally you want to end up with the wheel in the same position as std so measure the original offset with the hub on the ground but compensate for different rim thickness if changing rim.

Mount the wheel axle in a vice with a spacer so you can spin it. Have a pointer that you can adjust to just scrape against the rim to show irregularities.

Remember spokes on the opposite side of the wheel on the opposite side of the hub are related to each other when you are trying to take the wobble out. When it is in the ball park concentrate on getting the rim round & central to the axle which will mean tighten one side, loosen the other side of the wheel both sides of the hub equally.

Then get the wheel in the right position by adjusting every 2nd spoke to shift the wheel left or right as per your offset measurement. (This can be done on the bike if required but don¡¦t go crazy doing it with the tire mounted or a spoke may poke through).

Then make sure all the spokes are tight & continue the straightening adjustment. Grind off any spoke heads that are sticking thru enough to risk punctures. Buy a new tape to cover the heads.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Thanks for the information I think I will go ahead and buy it and try to lace it myself. I'll have to tell you how it goes and thanks again.

Top Bottom