woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
wheelie on KDX 200

Just wondering what kind of expirence you have with doing wheelies on kdx 200s? I can get my bike up in second gear but as soon as i go like 10 feet my engine is reving pretty high. So i try to lift the bike in other gears by reving and droping the clutch. Is there any other teqnique that anyone uses to wheelie? i know it is possible to shift while riding a wheelie but i am not that good so any other suggestions? or just practice shifting?

Last edited:

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, i just got my bike a few weeks ago, but just really started riding for about a week now. Im not very good at doing wheelies cause i go to high. But the guy i bought it from could do them for like 20 feet. I think he would start in second and when it got real high n the reving he would shift. Now i know this is not easy, as i cant do it yet, but i think it is just practice. Also, he was not doing them to low he kept the front end to were it almost looked like he was gona go over, i think this makes it easier on the bike. Hope this helps

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=103155

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=25852

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=82564

There are many different opinions on the "best" way to wheelie. If sitting I'll pull it up in 2nd or 3rd with a little clutch dump, and try to get to the balance point and work it there between gas and brake. Standing wheelies I usually bounce the front a little and hold it up as long as possible, it's easier in sandy soil for me because then I don't have to use the rear brake if going over backwards, letting off the gas usually is enough to bring the front back where it should be. It's just all a lot of practice. I can get my KDX up in 6th gear on hard pack or pavement.

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
You have to get the bike at it's balance point. You do this by lightly tapping the rear brake when you get to high. I don't like using the clucth to get it up. Start in 2 right before the power band kicks in pin the throttle and pull up on bars. Shift without clucth. Practice,practice,practice with all the saftey gear you can buy and don't buy a new fender till you get it right.lol

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I'm not very good at wheelies either, but I got one in third gear yesterday. The first time wasn't on purpose, the back wheel suddenly grabbed. I was impressed, so I tried it again. I'm not good enough to hold a wheelie, but the front end came up pretty easy.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
yeah... i can ride wheelies for a decent amout of time on my KDX. just stand up and keep giving it throttle once you get up. i found that in third if you get it up and keep feeding it gas when it wants to go down you can keep it up for a decent distance.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
I normally start in 2nd and ride it till 5th or 6th. Well i did till i flipped on pavement in 4th gear. That felt good. The bike was alright so i wasnt too mad. Once you get it to the balance point you will know it and if you can go for as long as the road or trail is if you know what your doing. Good luck
Chris

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
ok, ive been getting better on my lil' kdx175 ive gotten so i get it a little past the balance point and use the clutch to shift and not let off the throttle wich snaps it back up to the balance point, then juggle the trottle to keep it there. Ive gotten so i can go from 1st to 3rd. Or you can vilontly jump on the back and pull up at the same time in 3rd and ride it out pretty good. Sounds nasty, i know but thats what ive found works...... dont kill youre self! :laugh:

driversix

Aug 4, 2005
i just got an rm250 which is the biggest bike ive had so far but its a 2 stroke so its not two much diff in power from the kdx and i start in first hit the powerband the wheel comes off then let off but stay leaned back pop into second hit the powerband and so on i can ride a wheely till i run out of room

Top Bottom