ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
Well Ive got all my stuff sitting above my wardrobe for a engine rebuild. Cost a ****ing packet!

Anyways, dudes, i wanna learn to wheelie. But am not sure how to.

I think that for some reason the bike aint gonna come up and sit there its gonna come way way back!

So any advice for starting to learn wheelies.
I ride a 88 250, but BELIEVE me this bike has got the power to wheelie easily.

Im 17, the first day I got it I said to my 16 year old brother "wanna go" he pulled away nicely then blipped it and was up wheeliing into third.

So I know it can do it, I just need to know how to start/practice.

Please help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
Have read all them posts, they helped a bit!!! Just worried thaat im gonna loop so im gonna try popping it up a little first, then keeping it up for longer, then try and get it up nice and high!!!

Should I start in 2nd on a fast 250 2 stroke??

Do I want to be below or on the powerband??

And when the wheel comes up do you hold the throttel there or give it a little less after you have got the wheel in the air???

Have read the jumping posts but they did not help to much!

Just wanna know how to start off.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Wheeling is one of those things that you can either do it or you can't. It's mostly balance more than power. Someone who can wheelie a bike good could wheelie a XR50 the same distance as a 500.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For me, a 2 stroke is easier to control if you bring it up while it is already "on the pipe". If you bring it up at lower rpms, when the power does hit, it is more likely to run out from under me.

Definitely 2nd on a 250...1st is too reponsive.

I was talking recently to a friend who does lots of stunt stuff on his street bike and he said that as soom as the front wheel comes up, he starts applying the rear brake. That way he is always balancing the control with the throttle and brake. I haven't tried that, yet. For me, the rear brake has always been a suddent slam to get the front down NOW!

brianfr

Jan 23, 2004
I have a similar problem. I can ride an acceleration wheelie until I run out of gear, but I can't ever get to the point where I actually balance the front end. Mostly I'm just afraid to lift the front end that high. I definetely think that it is something that you just have to practice and there is no magic technique. Right now I already have a cracked back fender with a replacement on hand, so I guess it's time to learn.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Here is MY method for teaching someone to wheelie - IT WORKS GREAT but it is only my opinion!! Get a small 4 stroke beater bike - an XR100 works real well. Start out 1st gear clutch out at a roll in low R's, at the same time you give it a throttle lift up on the bars a little and LEAVE YOUR FEET DOWN!! Let your feet slide along the ground beside the bike!! Work your way up to the point that the bike acutually goes over and you can walk behind it. Keep doing this until you understand and can "feel" the point of balance. After you have found the balance point, stay on the seat with your feet down and start chopping the throttle at the balance point - still with feet down. Now blip the throttle every time the bike wants to drop off the balance point and let off the throttle when it gets to the point - simple on/off will maintain the balance. With a little practice you will find that you can wheelie in circles and fiqure 8's VERY controlably!! Once you get REAL good at this method - start moving your feet upward on to the pegs. Take your time and dont rush it - PRACTICE!!
Once you have your feet up on the pegs and can trust your balance point/blipping - then all you have to do is shift gears as the front end drops when the motor runs out on each gear!!
Move up to bigger bikes (I REALLY like my KX500) ONLY wehn you are comfortable with your ability!! 2 strokes tend to take a little more advanced skill cause they are snappy but they can be mastered - at least for a while until they NAIL you!!

Wheelies are not just for show (although they are really cool and fun). Once you learn to wheelie you will be SHOCKED at how much you will use it when riding!! HIGH SPEED OBSTACLES TAKE ON A WHOLE NEW PICTURE WITH THE FRONT END UP!! It is amazing what you can do on one wheel that you cant do on two!
Learn to wheelie - you WILL be a better rider
Have fun!
Woodsy

Top Bottom