Status
Not open for further replies.

Zig-Zag

Nov 1, 2000
I have heard that people do not use their clutch when up-shifting, and that it does not hurt the engine/gears. I have also heard the opposite, to not use the clutch when down-shifting. My qusetion is: Which is correct? I do not want to fry my tranny, but I would also like to save my clutch from unneccesary use and abuse. Is there a valid arguement either way or have I just been speaking to idiots? Qualified personnel only need relpy. I have heard enough from Wanna-be Eric Gorrs. Thanks in advance!!!

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
You Must use the clutch when upshifting so that you can properly engage the power to the ground effectively. This also takes the strain off the engine for some reason. There is no need to clutch when downshifting just because. I know all this is correct, but I dont exactly know how to explain the technical stuff. Roost On!!!

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Thats not all true. When you downshift dont use the clutch at all because there wont be a load on anything. When you upshift you dont have to use the clutch if you dont want to. Its called powershifting. Some say it causes damage but if it does its very small. Personally it has become a habit for me to pull in the clutch but if I forget or dont have alot of time I dont give a second thought to not using it. I would say do what ever is most natural.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by Zig-Zag
I would also like to save my clutch from unneccesary use and abuse.

Then use your clutch.

On a mx bike there is no NEED to use the clutch. Theyre made to be abused. Shifting with the clutch will give a smoother power delivery. Ive heard so many people say you dont need to and it doesnt hurt it, and I believe them. Ive taken apart many clutches that have been shifted with and without the clutch. They all look the same, there is no noticeable excess wear in the clutch shifted without. I believe the clutch is only there for taking off and building revs.

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Hey suit yourselves, but if you want to be fast then you need to learn how to apply the acceleration smoothly to the ground. The only way to do that is with the clutch:cool:

dbk_56

May 6, 2001
You do'nt have to use the clutch to down shift or up shift. I'm only 12 but my dad has been racing since shep was a pup and he's asked that same question. I know thi because I asked him I should use it. He said "all it does is waist time." That is when you race. He also said it does'nt hurt anything not using the clutch:D

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
but if you want to be fast then you need to learn how to apply the acceleration smoothly to the ground. The only way to do that is with the clutch
I dont think using the clutch makes you any slower, if anything it would make you faster. Yes if your shifting in corners or something use the clutch but if your going straight or what not like most situations not using the clutch will get the power there faster while still hooking up good.

MXRacer9

Aug 19, 2000
Nope

Ive been racin for 5 years and the only time i EVER use my clutch is on the starts. if u really want to get fast, setup for the turns and know what gear you're in constantly. clutching while shifting is pretty mutch unneccesary.

l8er.

MXRacer9
------------
2001 KX85 (stock)
2001 KX85 (mod)

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
In this thread it is more of a question of power. But here is my opinion on using the clutch.

I always use it for shifting. It doesn't take much just to flip it in a little to take some of the strain off of the gears. I can shift just as fast with it as without it.

Now if you want straight stretch drag racing power, then you must use it. Just pin the bike and take off. Never let off the gas and to shift, pull in the clutch, shift, and let it back out and never let off the gas. You accelerate really fast that way.

If you are going to shift without the clutch, figure it this way:
Using the clutch will wear it out. It will cost $90 to replace the disks and $300 if you need to replace the basket.

Now think about your transmission. As you shift without the clutch a lot of force is put to another gear with very little give in the transmission. It is like hitting a fence post with a sledgehammer. Just like a fence post, it doesn't do much. But if you hit that fence post a bunch of times it becomes deformed. So every time you jam gears you are doing a little bit of damage. If a gear breaks, you will spend a lot of money on the gears. That is just figuring that the pieces of the metal don't move around and ruin all the other gears. Think how much that would cost and decide if it is really worth it.

That is why I use a clutch

Lawndart D

May 24, 2001
i have been riding and racing for 20 years
i only use the clutch on the starts and tight turns
good luck
and i dont think using the clucth to put the power down smoothly is any faster
it might even be slower
happy landings
Lawndart Dave

Zig-Zag

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for all your replies people but, give me a break!! Did I not say "Unqualified people need not reply?" I mean, can you honestly expect me to listen to some twelve year old kid who says don't use your clutch cuz' that's what my Dad says to do??? Pleeeeaasssseeee!!! How many engines have you rebuilt, Junior? I want information from informed people who actually work on bikes for a living and have seen Transmissions after serious abuse. I KNOW the clutch won't be worn-out if I don't use it. I want to know what the effects will be on my tranny if I don't use my clutch to up-shift or down-shift. Obviously you need it on a start, Duh. Can anyone offer me factual proof of the effects of not using your clutch damaging your engine/transmission. People under 20 need not bother trying to talk out of their A@$!!! Sorry to the rest of you actually trying to help but, I'm sick of opinions that are based on nothing but hear-say. Anybody got a problem with that? :scream:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
First, I gotta problem with that....I think you've zigged when you shoulda zagged....:D
IMHO, we all have the pleasure of being able to post replys to these threads. Personnaly, I like hearing input from 12 yr old kids too. Kids dad could be a pro rider, who knows. Don't get your panties all inna bunch, and you won't be caught diggin.
If you really want to get some good info, I suggest you put down a few bucs and buy a good book. There is all kinds of information concerning"when to clutch" in just about every situation one could think of.
Donnie Bales & Gary Semics may know a thing or two.;)

http://ericgorr.com/books/books.html

Lawndart D

May 24, 2001
i second what jaybird said

the 12 year old was only trying to help
if it bothers you that much why dont you skip his reply totally.
hey we all get frustrated especially on soomething with so many opinions
but cant we all get along?
happy landings
Lawndart Dave

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Zig-Zag
[BI mean, can you honestly expect me to listen to some twelve year old kid who says don't use your clutch cuz' that's what my Dad says to do??? [/B]

But when he's right, he's right

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Zig-Zag Did I not say "Unqualified people need not reply?"
Hmm, appears we might want some qualification checking on the "New Post" button...
I mean, can you honestly expect me to listen to some twelve year old kid who says don't use your clutch cuz' that's what my Dad says to do???
I got humbled at the track last weekend by a 12 year old on an RM80 who was doing exactly what his father (ex-A rider) was telling him to do. Did I learn something from that kid? Yes, after 10 laps I was running faster than I ever have at that track.
Pleeeeaasssseeee!!! How many engines have you rebuilt, Junior? I want information from informed people who actually work on bikes for a living and have seen Transmissions after serious abuse. I KNOW the clutch won't be worn-out if I don't use it. I want to know what the effects will be on my tranny if I don't use my clutch to up-shift or down-shift. Obviously you need it on a start, Duh. Can anyone offer me factual proof of the effects of not using your clutch damaging your engine/transmission. People under 20 need not bother trying to talk out of their A@$!!! Sorry to the rest of you actually trying to help but, I'm sick of opinions that are based on nothing but hear-say. Anybody got a problem with that? :scream:
Yes, I do. Do yourself a favor, lose the attitude and before you post something ask yourself, "Would my father/mother (deservedly) slap the taste out of my mouth if I addressed them in this manner?"

I'm closing this thread before anyone else (deservedly) tells you that you need to humbly ask for advice and weigh the responses yourself rather than demanding what you have above. If you are still unclear as to how and when to use the clutch, post an appropriate question here. If you are still wondering about the effects on the transmission of shifting without the clutch, ask (appropriately) in the Advanced Tech forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom