When to replace piston rings?

Wis

Feb 3, 2001
Hello,
I'd like to know when to replace my piston rings on my 00'200KDX, I have covered 3000KM's and someone who also owns the same bike said I should look at doing the job pretty soon. If anyone knows why or when I would love to know. Thanks Wis:)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hi Wis,

How many kms you’ve traveled isn't really a great indication of when its time to freshen up your top end. The faster you're able to ride the quicker the kms will stack up. When deciding when to freshen up your top end you'll want to consider the number of hours on the engine, what if any modifications have done and your riding style.

I'd personally suggest you inspect the top end every year, assuming you ride often, measure the piston and rings for wear and replace the worn parts. You'll often be able to re-ring a piston at least once before it needs to be replaced. If your comfortable a yearly inspection isn't required, again it's dependent on how the bike is used, monitor your compression and use it as an indicator.

IMO give the amount of time it takes and the cost of a couple gaskets and a set or rings its not worth pushing the top end to its service limit. The parts to freshen it up are a whole lot cheaper than repairing an engine tha'’s been damaged by a broken ring or piston. I guess what I'm saying is don't wait until the engine tells you its time. Treat it well and you'll get a whole lot of trouble free enjoyment out of your bike.

Just be glad you don't have a 125 MX bike that should see a top end service every 5 hours!

David

Wis

Feb 3, 2001
Thanks David

:) Thanks very much for the tips David, my bike still feels like new - in fact it seems to be getting better! I will strip the motor on its first birthday and check it out. Thanks again Wis.

Top Bottom