crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
When do you replace your tires...

What if any guidelines do you use to replace your tires.(knobbie length,rounded edges)

I'm not talking about obvious damage like chunking,cuts,broke belts... :blah:

My front tire seems ok,it still has the original dimples in the center on the tread,it's just old looking and the knobs aren't sharp edged.

how do you determine when?

Crazy

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The main indicator is the size of your wallet :nener: .

If you had the money, you would most likely pay someone to have change them so you had fresh new tires every time you went riding. Since very few of us have that kind of money, we run them till there is more wear than slight knob rounding. The exact extent depends upon the rider, bike, riding conditions and how much money we have to spend on tire replacement. If it is still giving acceptable traction, isn't physically damaged or dry rotted, then continue running it until you decide it is worn beyond your liking.

The more the knobs wear down and the more rounded the edges become, the more the traction is reduced. It is up to you to say what is acceptable. You can also get tools for cutting the edges and making them sharp again, or adding extra grooves in the knobs for added traction.

Jun 12, 2005
Make sure before you change them do a huge burn out on cement untill your inner tube pops :) last time i had the fire department at my house because a neighbor thought there was something on fire in my back yard :laugh: :coocoo:

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
In my humble opinion, tires are less vital in dryer weather, when Its wetter out, I like to have newer tires, but in the summer, I can let em' go pretty far. especially the back tire. course I don't race or anything. but thats just me.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Yes, I agree with Canadian-dirtbik3r, the most important part of changing your tires is to make sure you completely blow your tires by spinning them on concrete until there is nothing left. As a preventative measure (for safety) be sure your local fire department is called out to lecture you after your done teaching those tires a lesson they will never forget. They should have told you this as part of your normal maintenance when you bought your bike!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
canadian-dirtbik3r said:
Make sure before you change them do a huge burn out on cement untill your inner tube pops :) last time i had the fire department at my house because a neighbor thought there was something on fire in my back yard :laugh: :coocoo:

yeah that is fun - however I've seen more than one person seize their bike doing this!!!

but still - its fun

hndarida4life

Jan 26, 2006
i usually replace my tires when they get pretty rounded cause u lose traction easy when their round. and its up to u what kind b/c of the money factor try the new scorpion cross for sandy cond.. they r the next step from a paddle tire

iieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Depends on what type of riding I have planned or the terrain I will be riding. For me my tires get changed when they are fairly worn. For my kid who is racing we usually get about 3 race days depending on the type of track and which brand back tire before it ends up in the practice tire pile, The front usually get changed at the same time as the back but only because I'm usually too lazy to change both tires multiple times a week so he has practiced on the fronts as well as the racing for a few weeks.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I have had my bike for three months so I have about 15 good rides or about 30 - 40 hours on it and I haven't had to replace mine yet. Obviously I'm not the most agressive rider. I have noticed that the knobs are getting rounded. It still has plenty of knob left though. I figure it will be time to change the tire when I can't make it up some the hills that I have climbed in the past.

One of the guys I ride with has an 84' CR500 and I swear that rear tire must have been the original. He finally replaced last week and had to learn how to ride all over again. I think he finally changed because he was tired of getting stuck on hills that my KX250 flattens. :aj:

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
I always sharpen them a time or two before I junk them. Once they get rounded off I will take either a razor blade or die grinder and just put an edge back on the knobbies. Not sure if it's good or bad but I've always been alright with it. Kind of a pain and a bit time consuming though.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
I like the idea of burnin' the heck outta' the tire b4 replacing it!!

I think my rear is due for replacement soon... i think it's original (eek), and it seems almost bald in the center.....still nobby on the edges though.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Agitator said:
I like the idea of burnin' the heck outta' the tire b4 replacing it!!

I think my rear is due for replacement soon... i think it's original (eek), and it seems almost bald in the center.....still nobby on the edges though.

HAR! from all the tips I have read it seems like you should #1.place a running fan in front of your bike to cool it properly. #2. put your rear tire against a cement block on the foundation inside your garage
#3. lean your bike at a 45 degree angle to ensure that the side knobs are the ones contacting the cement/block.
#4. roast to your hearts delight... :aj:

:ohmy: :ohmy:

ANYHOW... thanks for all your opinions.

Crazy

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
lol!

It's windy where I live, so that'll solve the cooling problem...
I've got plenty of stuff to put my bike against (to stop it)

Thank's for the tips... the tire'll definitely be BARE on all surfaces before I take it off (and probably popped too)

I think I'll get some good use out of it before this "technique" is necessary though...

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I change mine when my riding buddies start with the "Uhm about time for tires isn't it? Looks like your missing 6 or 7 knobs on that front tire." Then if I'm lucky I find a motocrosser who is serious about his racing and he gives me his "worn out" tires.

I know tires are the single biggest difference maker on a bike but they are expensive and right now I am cheap.

BlackS84

Sep 17, 2005
Make sure when you've wore off all the tread on one side of the tire you flip the rotation direction. That way the sharp edge of the knobbys is now pointing in the drive direction and it's almost like a brand new tire. Also try the Michelin Starcross MH3. The wear rate is at least three times better than the best Dunlop and cheaper too!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
BlackS84 said:
Make sure when you've wore off all the tread on one side of the tire you flip the rotation direction. That way the sharp edge of the knobbys is now pointing in the drive direction and it's almost like a brand new tire.

Except when you need to brake :yikes: We flip tires but it's on a race to race basis not after you've completely worn out one side of the knobbie.

Top Bottom