Mar 16, 2007
ok so I just read the thread about the DI 2t. This isnt a 2t 4t debate allthough it probably will turn into one. :fft: It seems the the 2t wont be back unless its DI(?). So my question to you guys is............how long do you think it will be until the 2t is back on the scene. If it ever will be. And do you think it will take over like the 4t are doing now? or will we have both bikes around? I like 2t but after riding my buddies 4t it does seeem to maybe have advantages. whatever...anyways so what do you guys think?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Carbed 2 Strokes would still be everywhere if the rules were equitable. If the AMA passes rules that make it equitable you'd see a large return of 2 strokes the next day.

Mar 16, 2007
that other thread talkes about di 2t woods bikes. Im talking about di 2t mx bikes. anyways yeah if the ama did this or what not but Im just wondering how long you guys think it will be before we see them back on the scene. and yeah I have one in my garage too :laugh:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Well, if this 350cc 4-stroke rule goes through... I still don't think you'll see many 2-strokes. All of the R&D money has gone into 4-strokes. They are several years ahead of the 2-strokes at the moment, the 2-strokes will need some time to catch up.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
anyways yeah if the ama did this or what not but Im just wondering how long you guys think it will be before we see them back on the scene.

If nothing changes in the rules they will become extinct and never return regardless of Direct Injection or any other advances.

Mar 16, 2007
Well, if this 350cc 4-stroke rule goes through... I still don't think you'll see many 2-strokes. All of the R&D money has gone into 4-strokes. They are several years ahead of the 2-strokes at the moment, the 2-strokes will need some time to catch up.

right, question is how long do you think that will take?

Originally Posted by HubertGarfunkleIII
anyways yeah if the ama did this or what not but Im just wondering how long you guys think it will be before we see them back on the scene.

If nothing changes in the rules they will become extinct and never return regardless of Direct Injection or any other advances.

theres something more along the lines I was looking for, but they are working on changing the rules to 350cc bikes so if that does happen...will they come back or stay extinct?

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
2-strokes really never left. They still dominate hare scramble racing and if the AMA hadnt given 4-strokes suck a huge displacement advantage they would still be dominating MX as well.
I think that if DI 2-strokes ever make it to dirtbikes that you will see a return of 2-stroke trail bikes. The question is, would anyone buy a 2-stroke trail bike? The peaky powerband of a 2-stroke isnt exactly the most desirable thing in a trail bike.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
As long as the manufactures keep making parts they won't all die. The thing about the 4t's is constantly having to have the valves adjusted and the blades sharpened :coocoo: :laugh: :laugh:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The 2-stroke will have the same fate as the muscle car. First, they were hot stuff and everybody cool had one. Then, the emissions regs., political pressure, and fuel prices brought and end to the era. They get replaced by super complicated, electronics everywhere, hard for the average guy to fix vehicles. However, a group of people keeps the old equipment running. They like it because it's easier for them to repair in the home garage and parts are cheap. 30 years after their demise, everybody else looks back and says man, those were the days and now want their old ride back. In 30 years, people will be paying big dollars for yesterday's technology. This is what happened with the muscle car, but it seems like the 2-stroke could easily be substituted into this story.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
The 2-stroke will have the same fate as the muscle car. In 30 years, people will be paying big dollars for yesterday's technology. QUOTE]

Are you saying the four strokes are yesterdays technology? :whoa: Excuse me while I laugh my azz off. :laugh: :rotfl: :rotfl:

What happened to the muscle car was the new technology of the Japanese. The American made muscle cars were old technology. Most of them went fast in a straight line because they used massive amounts of cubic inches. They didn't stop. They didn't turn.

The Japanese came out with small, lightweight cars with overhead cams and multiple valves per cylinder. They very fast, handled great and had disc stoppers. They use new technology, materials and electronics. Similar to what we are experiencing today with the new four strokes.

The two strokes will be around for a long time to come. There are too many aftermarket manufactures making parts for them for them to go away. KTM is committed to making two strokes. Fuel injection and electronics will help clean up the two strokes of the future.

Ride what you like. Nobody is making you ride a four stroke unless you are one of the top Pro's. The reason they are riding them is because they work better, hook-up to the race track better. Due to it's design the four stroke has always been better in the traction department.

In 30 years there is a good chance the internal combustion engine as we know it, both 2 and 4 stroke, will be just a faint memory.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

MonsterJay

Apr 22, 2007
2 strokes will NEVER disappear. Huge advancements are being made in 2 stroke tech and 4 strokes will soon have hardly any advantages at all. If the rules changed to allow equal cc bikes to race then youd never see any 4 strokes.

Take for instance the snowmobile world. Yamaha is making 4t and they are nearly as good as the 2 strokes except they are nearly 75lbs heavier. But once direct injection comes into the mix 2 strokes will be lighter, more reliable, faster, more fuel efficient and emmit less emissions. For now the only advantage 4t have is fuel efficiency and emmisions. Rotax carbed 2t are nearly as efficient now and still using a carb.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I was trying to say that the 2-strokes were like the muscle car. Some people will always stick by them, no matter how much better new tech gets. Sure, some of the new tech will go to the 2-strokes just like it has to the muscle cars. They will always be fast and there will be a hardcore group of individuals who will always swear by them, no matter what the competition throws at them. But, there will be better things out there.

I don't think the rules should be changed to allow equal displacements. Just like the 450's have a huge advantage right now, the 250 2-strokes will have a huge advantage in the class if equal displacements are required. A middle ground should be reached.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Does anyone actually have the notion that the Mfg's want to make both 2 and 4's?
2 bikes for every class?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Too bad Honda or Yamaha won't make a 2-stroke to compete with KTM in the off-road market. It seems like most of us are trail riders and a lightweight, purpose built 2-stroke trail bike sure would be nice. When you get stuck on a hill, it's sure nice to have an easy to pick up, easy to start 2-stroke.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Well I see the tugboat mechanic(or so proclaims)is up and at it again!Monster touched on an oddity,why in the snowmobile world did yamaha scrap the 2t,but in mx is still throwing out 125's?Mx honda jumps on the bandwagon.The plans were set last year for a return to 2t and the idiots kiboshed it.Okie,I have often wondered the plant and sales concerns of marketing against yourself,well they made their choice,sad to say.10 year span and no updates you will see the last oem parts made from japan,computers dump all saved information,done.Since the 2t is looking grim I also foresee 4t advance to slow also,I will have to watch F-1 to see pneumatic valve trains,and less unbiased holds on technology.How about jumping on some new cr250 2t's and when Eric is up,get the fixed athena mo power 280,if the man says yes then take it to the bank!I really miss his ever amazing wealth of true information,a recent story of someone buying a bunch of 125 yz's,sent them to the shop for 144's to compete on the Belgian national circuit!Stories of ktm 2t's dominating in parts of europe are sweet also!But I have to admit,my hands got clammy looking at that bmw,thinking with number plates at an outdoor nat would be pretty good!Well I hope to see a 2t on tv tonight,but I will see one or 2 tomorrow for sure!

Top Bottom