When will parents learn about ATV safety with kids

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
I was riding out at Rocky Ridge near Dallas TX this weekend and I am really at a loss for words to describe what I saw. However, I have to rant for the sake of our kids.

We have all seen it, we go riding, and there are kids on big ATVs with no gear on at all, there are others that have partial gear and then worse, there are ATVs with 2-3 kids all with various levels of gear from nothing to full gear. This weekend wouldn't be any different than any other since as I said, we have all seen it. However, this last Sunday had two accidents. One required an ambulance and the other, more difficult one to swallow required life flight and ambulances. There is no need to get into the details, but I know the one that was taken via life flight was a very young child that was riding double with another older person. :yikes:

I know it is tough being a parent, but the responsibility for these accidents is with the parents. How can we allow our kids to ride double on a vehicle that is designed for a single person and then even worse send them out with no protective gear. I know we justify it by saying. "Oh, its just a road, they can't get hurt." That isn't true, head on collisions occur, blind turns are very dangerous on roads when you have someone racing down a road. And whose to say the kids will say on level ground. The worst accident came from climbing a hill and the ATV flipped over on sending them all tumbling down the hill. These are extreamly dangerous machines if not ridden properly and protective gear isn't worn. Don't these parents realize this?

Aside from the accidents, I saw several very dangerous situations, one being a parent on a racing ATV in full gear going over 50 MPH pulling wheelies with a kid on the back with no gear what-so-ever. :yikes: I gues its important for the parent to be protected, but the kid doesn't matter? I just can't understand what they must be thinking, or maybe that's the problem they aren't thinking until its too late, and then they get are shocked into reality as they see their child laying there hurt badly enough for life flight.

On the other hand, it is rare that I see a parent send their kid off on a motorcycle without full gear. Isn't that amazing.. We won't send our kids out on a 120 pound mini bike without full gear, but we send them out on a 400+ pound ATV riding doubles and without protective gear? I am sure these are not the same parents, but it goes to show our thought process. We think ATVs are safe and motorcycles are dangerous. I believe otherwise, they are both dangerous and its our responsibility as good parents to make sure our kids are safe by sending them out in full gear and only letting them ride vehicles as they are designed. That also includes not sending a small child out on a big utility ATV. This is simply nuts.

In today's world, kids are taken away from parents for a lot less (ie, spanking or over correcting, leaving alone at home, etc.) I think things would change dramatically, if parents were held responsible for not providing and making their kids wear protective gear, and ride on ATVs / Bikes that are age appropriate and the proper size for the child. I don't agree with the government being over protective of children and not letting us be parents, but at the same time, this is negligence on the parent's part and it is putting their childs life in danger.

I would be interested to hear parent's opinion on this that DO allow their kids to ride like this and hear why they feel they are justified in endangering their child's life. It would be good to hear why they believe they should allow this.

I am sure many of the people that read this and allow thier kids to do these types of activities without protection will blow this off, but maybe SOMEONE will at least read it and think twice about needlessly putting their child in a life threatening situation. :bang:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I think it's the "It only happens to other kids" mentallity. I am sure these parents DO care about their kids, but just don't think bad things can happen. If I remember correctly, wasn't there a kid killed out there 4 or 5 yrs ago?? He was on a bike coming over an incline and a dune buggy was coming the other way. I've never been to Rocky Ridge, but it sounds like a truly dangerous place. No marked trails and all off-road vehicles of all sizes are welcome. Lake Grapevine is the same way.

I'll be out at the Kermit Sandhills in west Texas this weekend. Same scenario out there. Lots of helmetless quad riders mixed with some dune buggies. Which is why I'll be sittin' at camp waiting for the local riff-raff to calm down before I go out and jump on my two-wheeler.

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
Actually, there are no dune buggies allowed there. The trails are all well established and its only ATVs and Motorcycles. I say ATVs because I actually saw a couple 3-wheelers there this weekend also.. Again, no protective gear, not even boots. :bang:

This is a matter of parents not THINKING! Of course, its too bad when something does happen, who can they blame but themselves for allowing it?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My boy's uncle GAVE him a little quad. After I rolled it down a hill, it went back to Uncle Joe and I bought him a mini. The rules are if he rides w/out a helmet, boots and riding pants he doesnt' ride.

It's the parents fault and that sToOpId 1% will ruin it for the other 99%.

Remember this line from a song not so long ago:

"Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people..."

Sadly, it's true. The stupid and dishonest 1% ruin all the fun.

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
My father was a surgeon and he would many times tell us about the accidents or worse fatalities with children he has had to attend to. It seems parents will figure out a way to mess up their kids. He's seen it all, garden tractors, farm tractors, boats, the usual motorbikes and ATVs, guns. At one time I worked as paramedic stationed in an emergency room and the sites and sounds of when kids come in are just horrifying. Most often he would see the same kids and same stupid parents multiple times. These parents don't learn. As the parents of two boys I know from my fathers stories that thier safety is ultimately my responsibility. I was able to learn from other peoples misfortunes, that's sad.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Most kids learn what they are taught by their parents in both actions and words. It's sort of difficult to make it really stick when you tell your kid they have to wear a helmet, and other preotective gear when they ride yet if you go out for a "little spin" or whatever without it. I've done it once and when my son asked me what was up I told him "Daddy screwed up and it won't happen again." and it hasn't. It shouldn't matter if it's a bicycle, a mini, or an ATV a helmet should be worn whenever they are ridden, even for a little spin. Thinking you won't get hurt because you are going on a short little warm up ride or are riding on a soft surface (cough, cough GreenHorn) is plain dumb.

I really believe some parents are just plain stupid and they pass this to their kids. It's very unfortunate when anybody get injured or worse, there is pain and suffering as well as financial costs which very well could have been avoided or minimized if a little effort was put in to learning and proper gear.

Bottom line? Stupid hurts.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
I told him "Daddy screwed up and it won't happen again."

..How many times has your kid had to hear that??? In the past year alone. :rotfl:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Soooo sad....Imagine that these kids will grow up only to show their own children that they don't need to wear the gear as well. Sort of like wearing seatbelts when riding/driving in a car..You learn by example.

My kids aren't allowed on their bikes unless they wear EVERYTHING, boots, helmet, goggles, pants, jersey, kneepads, elbow pads. kidneybelt, you name it...I'll let them ride anytime they want as long as they aren't stupid about wearing their gear...

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Rich,

That's a good thread you wrote.

You should consider sending it to your local newspaper as a letter to the editor.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You forgot one important bit in that essay: these same Darwin Award candidates will be the first ones to seek out an attorney and sue someone when their offspring gets hurt while engaging in such shenanigans. These same idiots will blame everyone and everything, but themselves of course, as the cause of their child's injuries. That's the saddest part of all.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Green Horn said:
..How many times has your kid had to hear that??? In the past year alone. :rotfl:
In regard to riding without a helmet? It hasn't since I told him that over 2 years ago. Guess I'll have to work on being perfect in everything else.

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
mtk said:
You forgot one important bit in that essay: these same Darwin Award candidates will be the first ones to seek out an attorney and sue someone when their offspring gets hurt while engaging in such shenanigans. These same idiots will blame everyone and everything, but themselves of course, as the cause of their child's injuries. That's the saddest part of all.

You're absolutely right! They couldn't be at fault for anything. It has to be the manufacturer of the vehicle or land owner's fault. They don't take responsibility for anything and that's why they don't take responsibility for their children's well being.

The other possiblity is they simply don't want to spend the bucks for protective gear for a kid that is growing like a weed and won't be able to wear it more than a year or so. If that's the case, then they can't afford to have their kids ride! Seems simple enough.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I was at a sporting goods store one day and a mom & dad were trying to decide on a bicycle helmet or a foot ball helmet. This made me wonder what was up so I asked. They needed something for their kids to wear when riding dad's quad. I suggested a local shop with inexpensive lids as a MUCH better choice. I saw them leave with some bicycle helmets and shook my head.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
. . . suggested a local shop with inexpensive lids as a MUCH better choice. I saw them leave with some bicycle helmets and shook my head.
Hell, you wouldn't want them to be inconvenienced by having to go to another store in order to preserve their childrens' safety. :|

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I see this rather frequently. Almost always with kids on ATV's. The parents usually have the "Why do they need all that gear? That is much safer than a dirt bike" attitude.

Here is how I dress my kid.

Attachments

• Lan Small.jpg
    Lan Small.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 47

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
Mike,

I love it! :yeehaw:

They are so cute when they are all dressed up riding their bikes like that. And you as a parent feel better I am sure. I don't think I have ever seen a small child on a motorcycle without full gear. Seems every parent realizes they need protection when on a bike.

The few kids I see on small ATVs are generally geared up too and you can tell their parents care about their safety. They got them the right sized ATV, gear, and they are right there riding with them at a slow speed. However that is so rare I have not seen a small ATV in over 3 weeks of riding. :|

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Standard gear for quad riding around here, no matter what the age is: Shorts, tank top, flip flops or tennis shoes and maybe, just maybe a pair of gloves.

We've had two deaths in the last month on gravel roads, both victims riding withough helmets. One was run over by oncoming traffic, the other lost control and cartwheeled to his death. Not only were they both riding ilegally on a public road, the one that got hit was on the wrong side of the road, and the one that lost control was estimated to be going ten to fifteen MPH over the posted speed limit.

A few years ago, we had a death & critical injury accident at one of the state OHV parks. 1:00 AM, no helmets, two riders on one quad, alcohol involved. Both were underage kids, out having a joy ride by moonlight.

I truly feel sorry for these peoples family and loved ones, they have suffered lossses. However, I must agree with mtk, it seems the gene pool tends to clean itself up sometimes.

I just have to wonder what the parents of these kids are thinking? Do they let them ride around in the car with no seat belts? Do they send them to play football on the freeway? Sheeesh.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I totally agree oldguy, the adults around here are just as bad...actually worse, by setting the wrong example.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Wasn't it Deanas brother?
No matter, still stupid!
Its the "Im only just going over there, No need to put my gear on for that!" situation that usually gets them. Kind of like most car accidents happen with in two miles of home!.

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
Zoomer said:
Wasn't it Deanas brother?
No matter, still stupid!
Its the "Im only just going over there, No need to put my gear on for that!" situation that usually gets them. Kind of like most car accidents happen with in two miles of home!.

That would imply that these people actually believe its necessary at all to wear the gear and even own it for that matter. I see the same people all day long riding without gear so I think that people just don't believe they NEED IT! Dumb a$$es think they are invincible on those machines. Sensless to get hurt or die that way.. :bang:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Interesting topic!

I came across a site for a 4-H OHV Club over on the coast here in Washington.

http://www.eskimo.com/~chiefdn/mudslingers4h/index1.html

Then I followed the links to find out if there was one locally because I know my kids and their friends would love to be in a 4-H dirtbike club. There was an ATV 4-H Club here a couple years ago but the 4-H coordinator here made them disband because, get this - they didn't think the kids should have to WEAR HELMETS!!!!!!

So, Karl and I are now starting a 4-H Dirtbike club. We are just starting into all the paperwork and developing our Club Policy but, the kids are excited and we hope to be up & running with it over the winter.

I have never been involved with 4-H but from what I've found so far, it is a great way to teach kids about how to ride safely. Even if their parents don't get it, they MUST follow the safety rules or can't stay in the club.

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
I have never been involved with 4-H but from what I've found so far, it is a great way to teach kids about how to ride safely. Even if their parents don't get it, they MUST follow the safety rules or can't stay in the club.

This is great for the kids and will go a long ways to making the sport safer DESPITE these parents. Kudos to you! :cool:

Top Bottom