When's the last time you showed some kindness?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Wen's the last time you showed some kindness?

I don't know if this is true or not but it sure is a good message...

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw
a kid from my class was walking home from school. His
name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football
game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I
shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward
him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his
arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes.

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and
as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw
a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said,
"Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where
he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid
before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some
of his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I
asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends. He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the
huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said,
"Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles
with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and
handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best
friends. When we were seniors, we began to think
about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I
was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be
friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He
was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business
on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the
time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and
speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He
was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.  He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him. Boy, sometimes I was jealous.

Today was one of those days. I could see that he was
nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back
and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and
began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped
you make it through those tough years. Your parents,
your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly
your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a
friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I
am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the
story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill
himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had
cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do
it later and was carrying his stuff home.  He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

"Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from
doing the unspeakable."

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions. With
one small gesture you can change a person's life. For
better or for worse.

God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another
in some way.  Look for God in others.

You now have two choices, you can:
1)  Pass this on to your friends or
2)  Delete it and act like it didn't touch your heart.

As you can see, I took choice number 1. "Friends are
angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble remembering how to fly."

There is no beginning or end..Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is mystery.

Today is a gift.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
yanno, I just feel sorry for myself that I had to turn the corner on the big four-oh before I realized that life is about living. For others. I'm still a bit spoiled, but I truly enjoy trying to help others rather than myself. I try to tell my 18 yr. old son my lessons in life, but like his dad, it's hard to understand unless you experience them first.
RM_guy, thanks for the reminder. Hope everyone will at least make an effort to smile and say hi to somebody they don't know today... :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Kindness is taken for granted, just as is living and friendship. Take a step back, outside the box and look in, you'll be surprised what things you've been taking for granted and assuming they'll be there forever. Read a book with your kids or just lay on the floor as they sift through their clutter in the playroom, hug your family becasue you never know whey they or you will be gone. Go out and look in your garage and be thankful for what you have there, even if it's a Zuki and an Elk.;) Thanks RM.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, good important read.

So many kids are really mean, including myself when I was that age. Sometimes picking on nerdy kids seemed like fun. Sadly, that story would have a tragic end if I substituted myself into that story when I was that age. Sometimes we grow up way too slowly.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good stuff! :thumb:

Other little things....
-See that person on the side of the road with a flat? Chances are they'll thank you for the help and not stuff ya' in their trunk for a ride to a shallow hole in the dirt.
-See that little old couple shopping? Shadow them and help get the items off the high or low shelves. Take the shopping cart back for them too.
-See that kid sitting in the booth with a uniform on, buy his meal.

Lots of little things people CAN do but most don't. Don't be part of the majority. :)

stapletonjt

Oct 1, 2002
Wow, I must say that it was difficult to finish reading your post with the tears in my eyes. I have yet to see anything on this planet crueler than a human child at times. I feel good about the times in my life that stood up for someone else, I just wish I had done it more. I'll tell you one thing though, I was a Marine in the infantry and some of the things we did were more taxing on the body than anything any pro football player or pro anything has ever done. We did learn though, that the body will go much farther than the mind, and in general, those picked on, nerdy types in high school could go twice the distance that Mr. Popularity ever could. Most of the "cool guys" never made it through boot camp.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Good read Dave.
I've always been a sucker for side of the road lemonade stands. It's usually not drinkable, but the smiles are worth it.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Papakeith
It's usually not drinkable, but the smiles are worth it.

THATS NOT LEMONADE!

Seriously though I think the last really big thing I did for someone was not OUT'n CARLOS at Dirtweek but I think people figured it out anyway :yeehaw:

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Another good one I just heard about today (some of you college football fans may have seen this replayed over the weekend):

Seems there is this kid (can't remember his name or where he was -- probably Texas, since it's a HS football story ;)) who's developmentally disabled. He's been on the football team all through jr. high and high school, mainly in practice, always showing up on time and never complaining. Well the kid is now a senior, and the team was down to their last game of the year against a powerhouse team. The coach got ahold of his opponent and proposed a little something.

On the last play of the game, they planned to give the kid the ball and let him take a knee. The opposing coach agreed to it and said they'd "call off the dogs", so to speak, to make sure the kid didn't get hurt.

Friday night, and the kid's team is pretty much getting spanked, something like 49-0. The coach calls time out and talks to his adversary about the plan. The other coach says "to heck with that, we're changing the deal. We're going to open up a hole and let the kid score!" So the coach talks to the kid (dang, I wish I could remember the names! This would be lots easier to follow!) and tells him not to take a knee, he's gonna take it downtown!

So the QB takes the snap, hands it off to the kid, who starts to take a knee (they'd been practicing it all week!), and everyone tells him "GO! GO! GO!" He gets the message, kind of hesitates at the line of scrimmage, then takes off, with everyone, both sidelines, both sets of fans, and even the referees pointing the way to the end zone! The kid scores, both crowds erupt in cheers, and the kid is grinning ear to ear.

I say kudos to both coaches for giving that kid a day he'll never forget, and for bringin' a tear to my eye. :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
RM, maybe I'm just a big sap, but that read made me well up.
Thanks mucho for sharing that.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
A guy could use a reminder like this every day!
Life just gets going to fast, and we end up fogetting about the things that really matter. :thumb:

Dragon

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by Big Tuna
A guy could use a reminder like this every day!
Life just gets going to fast, and we end up fogetting about the things that really matter. :thumb:

Yes, I totally agree there. I have so much crap going on in my life, that sometimes I forget about the things that really matter. I work in a huge 3 building store called "Garden Ridge Pottery" and I see my fair share of grumpy people, but can't let them ruin it for the next person who could be the nicest person. I go out of my way to help sales associates, and other co-workers/customers. I am currently a cashier for the holiday season, because we are short on cashiers..although, I always find myself doing other things. I work all day, go to tech school at night, come home to my daughter, and repeat everyday. I get little to no sleep, I have been known to get irritated rather easily because of this, but I try my best to not let stuff get to me and be extremely helpful/polite to others.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well, I'm a little late but thanks one and all for your stories and comments. It is really funny how we grow as life sands the hard edges off of us. Both stories brought tears to my eyes.

In many ways, my breaking my foot has done the same for me since Dirtweek. I have been fortunate to be in contact with many people over the last month that have gone out of their way to help me following the accident.

My attitude about people has been gradually sinking over the last few years because of the myopic situation I found myself in. Between trying to get a new business off the ground and dealing with the sleezeballs developers and egomaniacs with way too much money and no taste .... I had all but given up.

DRN, DW02, breaking my foot and finding really GOOD stories like these have helped open my eyes and appreciate the good folks around me.

As I said in an email to someone a minute ago to a colleague .....

I hope this finds you well and that you have a wonderful day.

Find, Reading, Reflecting and Writing this has brightened mine.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Random acts of kindness never hurt anyone :)

Just knowing thet kind of place DRN is, I knew this would go over well. You guys never let me down! :yeehaw:

Top Bottom