Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
Well, the KTM200 that I was set to buy fell through. (Thanks to those who gave input on that virtual purchase).

I have come across a '00 250 that sounds nice. FMF Gnarly and SA, 752's for $4000. What is the current wisdom on the 250? Anything to be on the lookout for? Doesn't seem to be much talk about the 250. Everyone seems hyped on the 200 and 520.

Thanks

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
The reason us 250 owners don't jebber much about is becuase we want them all to ourselves. Oops, let the cat out of the bag.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
eyedoc,

Great escapes in Traverse City has an 01 200 exc, an 01 250 exc and an 01 400 mxc on the showroom floor. Phone number 2319439800 :confused: !

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I have an 00 KTM250exc. Its an excellant bike with no problems at all. Had a hard time getting the jetting zeroed in and still playing with it. Get rid of the factory silencer and replace it with an FMF Turbine/Turbo II.

I love mine.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The rap on the Y2K 250 was that it was the weakest KTM 250 motor in years. That may be a good or bad thing, depending on how you'll use it. I had a 99 250EXC and loved it. Very reliable, great powerband. The 01 250's are suppose to have a very strong motor. I've not ridden and 00 or 01 250's. The above is what I've read in magazines and on the net.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Jeb I think you're referring to the SX line. The 00' EXC/MXC line with it's pumpkin head is one of the best motors of the decade.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
This might be ancient history but I had a 90' 250 exc.
PC pipe, answer spark arrestor, Boyesen reeds, Race tech suspension.
I spent alot of time with the jetting and power valve set up. I purchased a bunch of different years powervalve springs and made an adjustable(externally) powervalve spring cover.
When I was done it made 44hp at the rear wheel on a dyno jet dyno.
It would run away and hide from Cr's of my friends and it still had the big flywheel to help you when you got tired.
I still miss that bike.
I guess having a Husaberg 501 and a Husky 610 made me think I should sell the old one.
I still know where it is...
I think I would still be faster on it than on my wr426...
I would recomend professional jetting on any KTM, I have never ridden a stocker that carburated crisply.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
yarbon,
As I said, depending on it's application, the softer motor could be a good thing or a bad thing. For offroaders, especially in the tight woods, a mellower powerband is often the best choice. That same motor on the MX track is horrible. I'm glad you're happy with your motor. I've not heard anything BAD about it, just that's a bit softer than most other years motors.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I certainly invite you to ride my '00 to feel it's weak motor. The EXC motor was never really intended to be in the SX line of todays motoX/SuperX bikes. Perhaps that is why they are now on different assembly lines.
I'm sure you didn't really mean the "weakest KTM 250 motor in years".;) I did ride my dealers 2000 SX 250 and he rode mine. The feeling where quite different for abvious reasons but never-the-less the same power. I then rode his 2001 SX and the feeling was quite different but still very much KTM. I also rode the 2001 250 EXC and could not tell any difference what-so-ever in power. I'm told the 2002's will be quite different.

Last edited:

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I'm happy with mine

I've only got 103 miles on it, but i just rejetted my '01 250 E/XC yesterday and it is fantastic. It's not perfect considering it's the first time i've ever jetted a bike, EVER, it's very crisp and it begs for it to be revved. I hope you can get your hands on one and be as happy as the rest of us. BTW, how do you change your signature, i'm sick of this XR S***, i'm a pumpkin!!!

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I've got a '00 250 EXC and love it. A friend of mine has a 99 and he really likes the powerband on my bike. The times he's rode it he has been impressed with the low end pull it has, he thinks his 99 has better top end power than mine. The bike does kinda go flat a bit on top but I love the powerband. It has terrific low end response and is magic in the tight woods.

Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
Thanks for the info guys. On my way to TC inthe am(ktm33) to look at the '00 250EXC. Planning on coming home with it. Can't wait. I will stop at Great Escapes and check out their bikes. If you see this tonight email me their adress. Leaving at 8:ooam. Thanks

Ralph

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by yarbonwick
I certainly invite you to ride my '00 to feel it's weak motor. The EXC motor was never really intended to be in the SX line of todays motoX/SuperX bikes. Perhaps that is why they are now on different assembly lines.
I'm sure you didn't really mean the "weakest KTM 250 motor in years".;) I did ride my dealers 2000 SX 250 and he rode mine. The feeling where quite different for abvious reasons but never-the-less the same power. I then rode his 2001 SX and the feeling was quite different but still very much KTM. I also rode the 2001 250 EXC and could not tell any difference what-so-ever in power. I'm told the 2002's will be quite different.

I don't mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. I've never ridden an '00 or '01 250E. As I said, it's just what I read and heard from what I consider reputable sources. I'm sure they are both great woods machines. If they're as reliable as my 99 250E has been, you'll love it.

Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
Sorry I took so long to reply. I did pick up the '00 250 EXC on Saturday. What a bike. Has amazing low end and handling. It is in beautiful shape. Haven't done a ton af riding yet but on our tight backyard track it can stay with a CR250 in straights and eats up the CR in corners.

The original owner added FMF Gnarly and TC2. He said he had to do a lot messing around to get jetting correct. Seems to be right on now. He went leaner on main and pilot and has to get a leaner needle also. Is this common with KTM's? (Michigan is about 1000 ft above sea level). My KDX was so rich from the factory it would hardly run. When I get the carb off I will post the actual jet specs.

The only problem I can forsee is getting the fourteen yearold off of it.
Thanks again.
Ralph

Top Bottom