Where are you buying parts? (sealing washers)

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
I was looking at ebay and other online places to buy bulk sealing washers to do oil changes. Where is everyone getting their parts?

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
the sealing washers on caps, screws, etc. They have a whole set for $18.50 and includes crank case and all. I was looking for the small crush washers mainly for the oil changes. Read about people cracking the case due to the washer being overly used.

Just being pro active and not use to short maintenance intervals like this bike should have. Other parts will be needed and I didn't know if a good website exist to get Honda parts or equivalent.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Once the crush washer has been used the torque spec is out the window. At that point you should just snug the bolt in there with only enough torque to keep it from vibrating out. People strip or crack their cases when they continue to crank 20 ft lbs (or whatever your spec is) on the used washer. I was buying new washers from Kawi for $3 a shot for awhile until I decided to try the used washer again - no problems so far.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
My washers have been on the bikes for more than 35 years and don't leak. Not that it's a bad idea to change them, I guess........
Who am I kidding, if I bought a bunch of replacement washers, I just put them someplace that makes a whole lot of sense at the time and never find them again until I re-arrange the garage in about 2019.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Daf said:
People strip or crack their cases when they continue to crank 20 ft lbs (or whatever your spec is) on the used washer. I was buying new washers from Kawi for $3 a shot for awhile until I decided to try the used washer again - no problems so far.

The reason an old sealing washer will crack a case is because every time you re-use the washer, it pushes a little more of the washer into the chamfer of the drain hole. Most drain holes have a little chamfer before the threads start. When you re-use the aluminum washer, it forces the washer into the chamfer. After a while, this forms the washer into a little wedge. Kinda like the shape of a funnel. If you re-use the old washer enough times, the force from the washer will spread the drain hole and cause it to crack.

It's best to use the correct OEM part to avoid this problem. The cost of repairing or replacing your engine cases is a lot more than the cost of a washer.

If you insist on using aftermarket sealing washers, you can usually find them at an industrial hardware store. Keep in mind, not only is the size 'diameter' of the washer important but the thickness and hardness of the material is very important.

Just my $ .02 :cool:

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
I picked up a set at Oreilly Auto Parts. They are copper. It was around $8. The brand was Performance Tool part#W5217.
They are all standard/SAE sizes, but so far they fit metric just fine.

Top Bottom