where can I buy jets in Canada Toronto Ontario

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Hello

I've been trying to purchase jets for my 90 KDX200 and can't seem to find the sizes I need.Currently I' m running the following.
Main 150
Pilot 45
The dealer only sells 150 or 158 mains ..... and 45 or 48 pilots.
nothing in between
I need sometime in between for both main and pilots.
I am running a little too lean on the pilot circuit. I know this because the engine runs alot better when the choke is pulled..
thanks mates
Bucket

motox

May 21, 2001
Bucket, My 1992 KDX200 has needed plenty of restoreing since I bought it. Instead of using the local dealer for parts I have been calling 1-877-797-2453 (wholesale Kawasaki). They will sell you OEM stuff at wholesale prices. All you have to do is call and then wait for parts to come in mail. They are very helpfull too. Shipping is usally $8 or a little less if you ask them to send it US postal priority, however, since you live in Canada it might be more. If you dont already know about it, use the sight buykawasaki.com to look up micro fische and get part numbers. When you get to the sight just type in your year and model #. 89 - 94 KDX200 all have interchangeable parts.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Bucket,

The reason your dealer doesn't sell sizes in between a 45-48 pilot is because they aren't made in sizes in between!! There ARE two sizes between the 150-158 though, a 152 and 155.

Go here>>> http://www.denniskirk.com/ They will send you a catalog in the mail for FREE. They have pilot/main jets listed on page 188. Get a 5-pack of main jets for 20% less than getting 5 separate. They even have a 5 pack with 150,152,155,158,160. This should get you where you want to be for jetting and i'm sure it will be much cheaper than dealer prices. 800 number 24 hours a day/7 days a week ordering.

Last edited:

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Motox,,Hogwylde ....Thanks much for the replies.

I just bought my bike 3 months ago ( after 15yrs of not riding ) .Not only do I need to hone my riding skills but I also have to figure out all this newer engine technology. My problem(s) lie with the jetting and stripped kips exhaust valves...

I did just recently find out about buykawasaki.com...great site! Too bad they don't have online ordering..Thanks for the phone # and websites...
I'll chech them out today...

love this form...knowledge is power.

motox

May 21, 2001
Ahh, stripped kips valves. Mine were stripped too. My advice, ride like it is until your ready to work on it. It won't have much bottom end and it wont idle good either. I wouldn't try and mess with jetting or main jet or pilot jets until you rebuilt the top end. My delima was after removing the head I discovered no kips valves, well only one and it didn't work. The others were gone. Oh, it gets much worse. I hope yours isn't as bad. Ok, now I did have one operational power valve. the main exhaust valve was there and still had teeth on it. Going deeper I removed the cylinder, piston, and rings. To my dismay the piston was of course shot. The rings were also shot. After further examination of the cylinder, guess what? No plating and abundant cracks. Two weeks later and $400 I had a used cylinder, with all but one kips, new piston, new rings and gaskets. It took about 3 hours to put it all together. (Before the rebuild my bike wouldn't idle worth crap, during rides I would constantly be revving the engine so it wouldn't die) That really sucked! ok, the rebuild. Finally I get it all put back together, I bet my friend it will start in under 10 kicks. one, two,...fifteen... and it starts. Amazing now, a totally different bike. The pressure gauge measured 175psi after 4 kicks. I am now in the process of getting the jetting down. It's running rich right now. I just went to a NGK b7es plug and yesterday discovered (during carb cleaning) the pilot jet was clogged. Now it even run better. If it the water pump impeller shaft seal wouldn't have started leaking I would probably have that problem fixed. Parts I have if you need them: Cylinder (needs welding and replating $199) ,various bolts, main exhaust valve, and the steel rod for that opens and closes the kips valves. Yours for shipping only. Let me know how its going and I'm available for questions. I only know what I know because of the past year working on my KDX. Before this I hadn't owned a bike for 22 yrs. and only rode a dirt bike once in that time frame.

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Hello again Motox.

Interesting story.Isn't amazing what you can learn when you need? Sounds like you've had quite the learning experience.Good job.
Prior to my purchase I had no idea there was so much going on inside a 2-stroke engine..Kips,,tuned pipes,jetting,,,etc...Man I just used to ride them.
I've read up on Erric Gorr's/JustKDX's sites and this form and man I've gained alot of understanding.
When I bought my bike the previous owner just had the cylinder re-plated and the top end rebuilt.He also told me it was jetting by a pro shop...pffffft. ya right.
The first month the bike pulled nice(so I thought, keep in mind the 15yr span).
Then a few month later I noticed a large bog when the throttle was quickly snapped open..
I figured it may lie in the jetting <particularly in the pilot circuit> so I turned the air screw in and found no real big difference...Left it at 1/2 turn out from seated and then went for a ride with the choke pulled all the way..MAN-O-MAN did it pull hard.( well harder than ever anyways, I have nothing to compare it to).
Ok so I brought the bike home and decided to pull off the pipe to make sure the o-rings were ok and there was no exhaust leak....that's when I discovered the bad exhaust valve.Top end was pulled and I did find a new top end installed complete with a freshly re-plated cylinger....phew! This was on Monday...Today ,Thursday, the parts are here. New left exhaust valve,new idle valve,gaskets etc..
Hoping to get her together Friday night.
I picked up the stock pilot jet <48> and will try it only after I've tested the bike with the new exhaust valve parts.I'll keep you posted..Unfortunetly I have company this weekend so Bucket can't play,,,:( .
After I get it back together and jetted I really think it will behave totally different...When I tested with the choke on the bike sounded totally different...real deep and knawrly with a ton more power...and.....this was when the exhaust valve was knackered. I can just image how she'll go when everything's right...
Anyway,,,I'm rambling.,,,,
Hey,,,thanks for the parts offer. I think I'm ok for now.Unless of course you have some jetts to want to part out.We should pass on our e-mail addressed to each other.
I still have to figure out the best plug to run and the best mixture as well..doh! will it ever end...:think ......I sure as sh*t hope not....it's just too much fun.:)
later
Bucket - of the great north -

motox

May 21, 2001
Buckett, Haven't heard from you in a while. Whats been up with your KDX. Did you ever get your jets. I'm going to get a couple today. I think I'll pay about $3.00 US each. Interested? Send me an email kevin1@iol-12.net

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Bucket, where are you from in ONT? Does your KDX have a Keihin or Mikuni carb? Jets should not be a problem to get! Call Machine Racing in Newmarket ONT. 1-888-696-2244 Get Doug to send you the jets you need. They charge $5 shipping, normally next day. If it has a Mikuni carb, try a snowmobile shop, they generally have lots of jets, generally Miks though.

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Hello all.
Sorry for taking soo long getting back to the form. (too much overtime I guess)
Here's the latest.
I did indeed find the jets I was looking for.
I replaced the exhaust valves,replaced the #45 pilot with a new 48 pilot jet...buttoned the engine up and went for a ride..
Wow!! what a difference..especially after I dialed in the pilot circuit using the air screw..
I still feel I'm a little lean at WOT...The power really flattens out at the top.
I'm going to install a new 152 main and test...I also have a 155 main if the weather gets cooler...currently we are at about 15-20'c.
When I say wow,,I really mean WOW.. I near scared myself a few times last ride..
The bike pulls amazingly well right from the bottom, through the mid and the unfortunetly flattens out at the very top.
The sound this little monster makes is incredible. It really growls now.
I hope the main will clean the wot problem...if not I'll look at the timing.
thanks and I will keep all posted.
Bucket - in the dirt -:D

P.S. It'd be nice to have someone experienced riding the KDX200 take my bike for a spin...An experienced opion on how my unit is performing would be very advantagous.. I live in the Toronto Canada area and ride maining in the Ganaraski Forest.
Thanks again

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Right-oh!

Finally had a chance to go for a tear this weekend..
best results so far are with a 155 main,48 pilot with the air screw set to 1 turn out.I'm running Belray at 40:1 now as well,,temp at about 17'c.
At low rpm I still bog when I wick the throttle open..I seem to have a lot more of a power band now. prior my power was more linear and flat at the top..
Also the bog does not exist when the choke is pulled on..
I think my next move will be a larger pilot..perhaps a #50.
till next weekend.
later.
Bucket

Shadowknife

Aug 27, 2001
Have You tried looking into ABS motorcycle shop? It's in Oshawa. On Simco Street North. They Sell Kawasaki and Harley stuff. Thats where I get all my parts.

Bucket

Jul 4, 2001
Hello ShadowKnike

Thanks for the reply..
I've found a dealer in Pickering.. Yamaha Motor Sports..
They sell Yamie's and Kawie's.
What do you ride...what's your bike..
and where do you ride,
Ever make it out to the Ganaraksi Forest..??
Bucket :)

Top Bottom