Where can i get OEM quality paints?

mrbigal81

Nov 3, 2001
I want to repaint the engine and wheel hubs on my bike with a quality paint like the bike came with. I seen PJ1 in a magazine but just about everyone i have talked to said it just comes off easy. where can i get some good paint? :think
Thanks,
Alan

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I'll also bash on the PJ1 OEM color spray paint....I went to re-painted my friends KX frame with the PJ1 paint and it came out waterly and not even the real color (it was the right can for his bike). never use it.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
You cant just spray the PJ1 on by itself, you can't do that with any finishing paint. First you have to a put a coat of primer, which is alot thicker than the finish, and it will cover up all the old paint. then let it dry for a day or 2 and then spray on the PJ1. You put on thin coats of the PJ1 but put on 4 or 5 coats and let that dry for a week and it will be solid. you should use the same color primer as the color of finish your using. i did that to the frame on my KDX and it looks sweet.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by toalco-kdx
who cares if its old. u dont know how to paint so im telling you a way that works and looks good.

Yes I do know how to paint so you can go < ADMIN EDIT: Do that again and you're gone >. The paint was waterly and did not match kawasaki green. AND FYI it was primered and I spray 6" away from the frame.
I said that thread is old because there has been more of these type thread since 2001 and why do you need to reply to it? :flame:

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i painted the last 2 summers so i know how to paint, so YOU can
@#$% off. i was looking for what other people thought of the PJ1 and u thought it was crappy paint and i didnt. i had a different opinion so why shouldnt i reply to it?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
That's ok that you like PJ1 but you didn't have to say I don't know how to paint. I haven't ued PJ1 since then so maybe it has improved or I got a bad can...

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
meow.....CAT fight!!

:laugh:

Just for your info, and im sure it's too late now. But I used PJ1 paints on my 1995 yz125 and the purple matched GREAT!

As for OEM quality paint, I think thats an oxymoron because the paint on my 03 is allready wearing off and I probably have about 1 hour on the bike :think:

Just read the instructions and it should turn out good. When you are done cover the tubes in clear background material and you are good to go.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
There's a lot more to painting correctly then just spraying primer and paint on a frame or anything to be painted. First not only do you have to sand the frame but, degrease it before you do anything. then thoroughly clean it again with solvents such as acetone or denatured alcohol. That will remove any residue left behind by cleaners. You'll get much better adhesion. Then you can do as Taolc-kdx said. He definitly seems to have painting experience. Pj1 epoxy paints are as good as you get from a spray can. any good paint will go on thin. Try painting a car, automotive paints are super thin. So are 3 part plastic paints there like spraying paint thinner. Also, something else I almost left out, humity and temperture also pay a huge roll in spraying. That information is on the can of Pj1 paints. If you want the most durability, send it out to be powder coated.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
Yea, its common sense but most people tend to just try to rinse whatever there painting with just water. Then don't wait long enough for it to dry completely.

Top Bottom